Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yes, Get Smart was subversive. It had episodes about a fictionalized Vietnam war, urban riots, and the A-bomb. All couched in a non-threatening comedy about inept cold war espionage. It did this is in 1965.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was there. And I'd call that a stretch rivaling Reed Richards at his best.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Adrianne Palicki's legs.

••

Lovely lady. Those eyes! And at least her uniform disguises the cantaloupes she seems to have had glued to her chest.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Greg Kirkman writes:
Friday nights may have once been the prime-time TV "death slot", but I hereby name Football Sundays as the rightful heir to that throne. I'm still amazed that CBS didn't cancel THE GOOD WIFE (a show I enjoyed and watched regularly) due to the football delays. That show aired late every week. For years!

I hesitate to suggest the fraction of football's audience that just doesn't change the channel afterward would overshadow the number of fans of the show that miss recording it, but that is a frightening possibility. (Plus, they would be the live part of "live + 7" ratings, I would guess still more desired.)

In other news: I see Star Trek: Discovery is scheduled for next Sunday at 8:30. I think FOX and CBS alternate having the late game, and they do always run late. Generally not into the 8:00 hour, last week was a special circumstance, but be warned.

On "The Orville" I'm wondering if the comedy tag is partly to allow making the makeup and effects 5% less realistic, saving them half the work. I'm determined to give them a pass on science, common sense, and in this case military discipline. I do wish that in this last one:
 INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Alara had gone into detail that they might get the ship destroyed and all die --- THEN get the rousing cheer from the crew.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

On "The Orville" I'm wondering if the comedy tag is partly to allow making the makeup and effects 5% less realistic…

••

Than what?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

and in this case military discipline
---------------------------------------------
Roddenberry went back and forth on whether Starfleet, whom the Orville is aping, were actually military.  He wanted the naval rank structure and analogies to work for him, but he was also keen on them being peaceful explorers, not an attack vessel.  So, for example, there are ranks and everyone is 'Sir' and 'Mister', but nobody (outside the Mirror Universe) salutes each other.

Probably the closest parallel would be NASA, where it seems people use their military ranks, and a mission has a commander, but things are less rigidly structured.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It was latter day Roddenberry, deeply immersed in his own press, who turned away from the military foundation of TOS. Starfleet was all about gunboat diplomacy ("Our presence there will be a show of force..." etc). The clubhouse mentality started with TNG.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I, too, was hit by the NFL overrun on Fox.  Odd as primetime series don't normally air at 5 PM here!  Luckily I found it on Hulu and watched it last night.  Just as enjoyable as the pilot.  I like the characters, think the special effects fit the series and I continue to be impressed with the heart it has.  It's not LOL funny for me, but fun nonetheless. Optimism ticking up!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE ORVILLE's first three 'postgame' episodes were scheduled to run twice on the West Coast, with the second showing at the more 'normal' time of 8 o'clock.  In at least one market (San Francisco), the Fox station did its normal 5 o'clock news, and so the episode followed at 6, and then again at 8. I don't know how much of the audience will follow it to Thursday, where it will be up against...more football, plus high-rated shows on the other networks.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I know I won't be tuning in early.  The less Gotham I see, the better.  Some things you can't unsee. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian O'Neill wrote:
I don't know how much of the audience will follow it to Thursday, where it will be up against...more football, plus high-rated shows on the other networks.

I don't think that's as big a deal these days as it was just a decade ago.  I'm recording it on my DVR, so it'll carry over to the Thursday night move without me doing a thing.  No need to actually "follow" it. Many audiences are also not tied to a given night to watch a specific series. I rarely watch a show the night it airs (something I think is becoming more and more commonplace), so the fact that it's up against potentially higher rated series doesn't really factor in for me.  My DVR can handle recording five series at the same time.  

More than likely the reason THE ORVILLE airs now on Sundays post-football is to get buzz, eyeballs and yes, a series record so that it has a chance at survival rather than dying sight unseen by premiering later in the fall.  We'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Perhaps these lines should be seen as "translations" intended to make the dialog more accessible?

That's an interesting angle.   Personally I found it disruptive but then again I was expecting more drama peppered with some of Seth's humour.   The pilot skews it a little more in the other direction for my tastes and maybe that will go away after a few episodes.   I'm all for bringing in people who wouldn't normally be in the audience for STAR TREK though.   The show is going to need them if it is to survive longer than one season.

(whereas I think STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will not be able to survive with just the trekkies watching and it's going to have a larger uphill battle than THE ORVILLE)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I don't like Family Guy at all.  But I really liked Million Ways to Die in the West.  I hope people give this show a fair try instead of basing it on previous Seth McFarlane shows.  As a huge Next Generation fan, I thought Orville was a pretty good start!  

One thing I REALLY like is that they are trying to establish the characters' personalities early on.  On Next Generation, you could not have any character say any line.  And the chemistry worked -- because the charcters were so defined, you could stick any two on an elevator, or a locked room, or a planet, etc and you could see right away how they would react.  Like Data abd Geordi for example was way different than Data and Worf.  Hopefully Orville keeps strengthening the characters -- and then it will be funny, regardless of (or in addition to) that week's situation.  

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The comedy-drama 'blend' of episode 2 was a little off in some places, but the 'cliffhanger' was interesting.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Lovely lady. Those eyes! And at least her uniform disguises the cantaloupes she seems to have had glued to her chest.

Unfortunately she has implants...

And I watched the second episode again and the one thing that does irk me about the show:  Palecki and McFarlane have absolutely zero chemistry.  Plus her bad acting does not help.

She's pretty to look at, but I find her to be unbelievable.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Unfortunately she has implants...

••

That's sorta what I said.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Kevin Brown: "Palecki and McFarlane have absolutely zero chemistry."

Certainly YMMV, but I think to myself... they're only a year divorced, they snipe at each other, and... maybe, just maybe, it's a bit of a purloined letter.

They're not Liz and Dick, but I think their relationship is tentative, and a really tight chemistry by the second episode would drain some of the character interaction.

I'm definitely willing to give the show a chance, and a little wiggle room to both grow and to "cut its teeth". I think it's off to a darned good start.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 2:03am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Agreed.  I will also say that I don't agree that Palecki and McFarlane have "absolutely zero chemistry".  Doesn't feel like that to me at all.  Any knock on Palecki re: bad acting hasn't seen FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.  She's not a bad actress at all.  Quite the contrary, I'd say.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Based on the second episode it would seem the leads are not SUPPOSED to have "chemistry".

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I don't usually seek out McFarlane's live action stuff but there's a weird dichotomy between hearing his voice(s) for years and then seeing his real face and voice in a regular TV series. 

Not to mention that (IMO) Seth looks like a grown up version of Ferris Bueller -- moreso than Matthew Broderick!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Every time I see Seth McFarlane, I think "Peter Brady". I can't help it.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Every time I see Seth McFarlane, I think "Peter Brady". I can't help it.

----

Dammit, now I can't unsee that.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Ep3

Impressive. A full swing into STAR TREK territory, and it did not disappoint.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Hey...I thought this was a comedy. I...felt stuff.

Seriously, that was moving.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Geez...that was totally a STAR TREK episode! And, as noted, rather moving.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version