Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: The Orville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This non-MacFarlane written episode finally worked for me. I thought it was overall one of the funniest episodes of the season. I caught myself laughing more than I had in any other episode. Although it'll be a bit before I get THAT image of the doctor out of my head. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 11 November 2017 at 1:41pm
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Given the current atmosphere, I was a bit weirded out by all of the sexual activity that went on that turned out to be non-consentual. I feel like Dr Finn especially should have been MUCH more upset by what went on than she actually was.

On the flip side, it was fun to hear Norm MacDonald have a larger role for an episode. And I thought it was cute that Bortus' karaoke ended the way it did.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 11 November 2017 at 2:30pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I thought it made it seem kind of prescient even though they offered no moralizing take over what was essentially rape, both emotionally and physically. It was definitely supposed to make you feel the moral quandary of it without offering any answers or even judgments towards the blue alien. But I think part of why they didn't explore the traumatic aspects of it is the nature of essentially one and done humorous drama (with some serialized aspects). To fully explore this topic it would've definitely taken more than forty minutes and it probably wouldn't have been very funny. And there's Black Mirror for that.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My impression was that the people involved geniunely enjoyed themselves, and that there was an "after-effect" that did not allow them to entirely lose that.

So far MacFarlane has been playing around quite a bit with our 20th/21st century "rules". Will he go too far? We'll see.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The way love works on the brain is itself like a drug, hitting the same parts of the brain as cocaine or heroin. A bit of biologically induced madness. If you feel high because you are newly in love, it's because you are, your body's neurons releasing elevated levels of dopamine to trick you into producing some offspring. I thought the actors did a great job of portraying how irrationally people who've just fallen in love actually behave. (How many folks have called in sick to work or blown off responsibilities just to spend time with their new love? Things they'd never normally do. I know I have.) I found it interesting when the alien mentioned that they didn't just think they were in love because of his pheromones, they actually were very much in love (even if it wasn't by choice). It also adds an interesting spin on her initial cheating and the subsequent dissolution of their marriage, because it removes her culpability and choice. Though having him respond "maybe" to whether he was in heat then or not, leaves it without a clear cut answer. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 11 November 2017 at 4:18pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

They were playing fast and loose with their timeline there, I think. Didn't Ed get assigned to the Orville a year after he found Kelly in flagrante delecto?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah, I do believe it was said that a year passed prior to Ed taking charge of the Orville.

Anyway, the whole not-quite-rape aspect of the episode did unsettle me. Darulio knowingly engaged in relations with both Ed and Kelly, despite his knowledge of their own relationship, and his knowledge of the effect that his pheromones had. That almost seems akin to taking advantage of someone when they're drunk.

There's also the aforementioned notion of Ed engaging in interspecies/homosexual behavior that he otherwise might not have, under normal conditions. It's not made clear if he normally swings in those ways, but I found it odd that the episode did nothing at all with it. No "Ed feels weirded out" jokes, and no acknowledgement of whether or not he's normally okay with that sort of thing, pheremones or not.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

From the perspective of the alien, from what he said, his people are sort of like bonobos and just practice free love.  If they all have the hormones acting on themselves and others, their social structures surrounding sex would have a very different view of consent, so he probably wouldn't even think in those terms.

As for how Ed felt about it afterwords, he could just be going the Roddenberry route.  Gene was apparently all about free love and no sexual hangups in the future.  Far moreso than anybody ever let him put on screen.  Maybe McFarlane is using that take, that in the future, sex just isn't as big a deal for people as it is today.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As for how Ed felt about it afterwords, he could just be going the Roddenberry route. Gene was apparently all about free love and no sexual hangups in the future. Far moreso than anybody ever let him put on screen. Maybe McFarlane is using that take, that in the future, sex just isn't as big a deal for people as it is today.
+++++++++++++

Which is all good and fine, but it seems like a bit of a hanging thread in that they didn't make it clear, either way. Maybe they were trying to make a subtle point, or maybe they were just sidestepping the whole thing. I dunno.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ed did say he was weirded out. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Seriously? Did I somehow miss that? Huh.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It was when the doctor was examining him at the end. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

As for how Ed felt about it afterwords, he could just be going the Roddenberry route.  Gene was apparently all about free love and no sexual hangups in the future.  Far moreso than anybody ever let him put on screen.  Maybe McFarlane is using that take, that in the future, sex just isn't as big a deal for people as it is today.

Maybe.  Malloy's reaction to Ed being infatuated with Darulio was more "I didn't know you liked him" rather than a freak out over his choice of species and gender.  On the other hand it doesn't line up all that well with Ed's overt hangups about fidelity but perhaps Ed is a traditionalist when it comes to marriage and more liberal when it comes to sex.

From the perspective of the alien, from what he said, his people are sort of like bonobos and just practice free love.  If they all have the hormones acting on themselves and others, their social structures surrounding sex would have a very different view of consent, so he probably wouldn't even think in those terms.

True, but you'd think the Union would have at least have documented that 'feature' of their society -- especially when it could easily lead to abuse (or what's viewed as abusive from another species point of view).  It would really throw a wrench into diplomacy as evidenced by the (non?)resolution of this episode.  Maybe McFarlane was playing on the old TOS tropes of "this is the first time this ever happened" or "our species keeps quiet about this to outsiders".

As for Gene's 'free love' future?   The reaction of Starfleet personnel to a Deltan being on board in TMP belies society's supposed advancements in their attitudes about sex.  Even Ilia refers to humans as a "sexually inferior" species but still engaged in a relationship with Matt Decker.  Maybe that's 1979's attitudes (or at least their reference point for the audience) creeping through though. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

It was when the doctor was examining him at the end. 
++++++

I must've been distracted, or something. Been pretty friggin' exhausted, lately. Well, if that's the case, then I guess I have no complaint! It just seemed odd that it wasn't addressed, either way. This appears to be a case of viewer error!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

As for Gene's 'free love' future?   The reaction of Starfleet personnel to a Deltan being on board in TMP belies society's supposed advancements in their attitudes about sex.  Even Ilia refers to humans as a "sexually inferior" species but still engaged in a relationship with Matt Decker.  Maybe that's 1979's attitudes (or at least their reference point for the audience) creepin through though.
+++++++++

There's also Ilia's oath of celibacy, the idea being (although not explicitly stated onscreen) that sex with Deltans can cause a human to become totally obsessed. Decker and Ilia didn't actually consummate their relationship, which she teases him about in the ABC-TV extended cut, and her oath of celibacy was taken to ensure that there would be no problems with her serving aboard a ship full of humans.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Malloy's reaction to Ed being infatuated with Darulio was more "I didn't know you liked him" rather than a freak out over his choice of species and gender. On the other hand it doesn't line up all that well with Ed's overt hangups about fidelity but perhaps Ed is a traditionalist when it comes to marriage and more liberal when it comes to sex.

Two points:

First, there was quite a bit of eyebrow arching from Gordon. He was clearly not ready to accept Ed's actions at face value.

Second, Ed was not in a relationship, so there was no question of "fidelity".

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The last two episodes have not been all that good.  Hopefully it's a hiccup and not the new "normal".

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Hey, Seth MacFarlane posted in our Forum!!!!

Wait. What??

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I should have provided context of why I posted the screenshot. It still feels eerie to me how prescient that episode ended up being, given that it must have been filmed months ago, and written probably a year ago at least - now even more so with the idea of an app to rate celebrity apologies. I felt that MacFarlane's reply was food for thought. 

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Enjoyed tonight's episode.  Didn't guess at the possible explanation until after the giant spider.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Unfortunately, when I see MacFarlane has not written an episode I kinda sit there waiting for it to go wrong. This one didn't, but I was unable to just sit back and enjoy.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Relax, it's not like the episodes not written by MacFarlane are all being produced by the reincarnation of THE Great Show-Killer, Fred Freibeger.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Unfortunately, when I see MacFarlane has not written an episode I kinda sit there waiting for it to go wrong. This one didn't, but I was unable to just sit back and enjoy.
+++++++

I felt trepidation when I saw that he hadn't written this one, but I was able to sit back and enjoy. And I enjoyed the heck out of this one. I'd say this episode confirms what I already believed: Alara is the heart and soul of the show.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Really enjoyed this episode! When
Vortis(sp?) showed up in the "holo-deck"
with the costume and pistol, that cracked
me up!
I'm quite pleased that The Orville seems
to be a good little sci-fi show.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>