Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: WONDER WOMAN Hardcover (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

Just recieved a box of comps. (Apparently DC has forgotten I don't collect my own work!)

Package is well put together -- not gloss paper!! But as I said a while back, I wish they could have skipped this volume. Took me a lot longer than usual to find my "voice" on this series.

Damn that George Perez and his enormous talent!!

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

But as I said a while back, I wish they could have skipped this volume. Took me
a lot longer than usual to find my "voice" on this series.

Damn that George Perez and his enormous talent!!

There you go again giving lie to that whole "John Byrne has an enormous
ego" thing...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Sorry, JB - after George Perez's reboot of WW, I've only ever enjoyed your run on the title. Inventive storylines, dynamic artwork, great supporting cast, the return of the Justice Society and the truth about Donna Troy!!!

Plus, you reminded fans how powerful Diana is! Good stuff!!

-C!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

Ah, but Charles, those things occurred AFTER I finally figured out what I was doing!!

The other downside to this is that DC is using the original files, scanned by production gnomes who could not be bothered to properly adjust for different inks. So the lines will drop out in this $50 book just as they did in the "cheap" comic.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I just got the new George Perez WW collection a couple of days ago and that one has the "good" kind of paper too but other collections from that time period still have glossy paper. I wonder how they choose? 

Edited by Jason Larouse on 09 May 2017 at 3:12pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

That was my experience as a reader, JB.  That's why I found it frustrating when you left the book.  That last year on the title you had really hit your stride and it was great stuff. 

I don't know if you did it consciously, but in that early part of the run, I think it was wise to use some other characters with whom you already had experience at the time.  I don't think the book was ever terrible under your direction, and your own supporting cast was great throughout (its a tragedy they've mostly been jettisoned since).  But things definitely started clicking over the course of the second year.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

Y'know, I wish this JB guy a was a little more humble.  How dare he compliment George Perez.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB is it shiny or flat paper?  I hate the shiny stuff something bad.  

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

Y'know, Wonder Woman is something of a giant blindspot for me, both as a character and as a series. I own and have read literally just two issues, and both are from JB's run.

It's not that I have no interest in the character, or that I don't want to read a "girl's book", but rather that you don't really hear about beloved runs and storylines for Wonder Woman they way you do for other characters, outside of Perez's Post-CRISIS reboot. It's kinda hard to know what to seek out.

However, I recently picked up the first Perez softcover collection, and will purchase the next volume when it comes out. Need to finally scratch that itch. I should probably pick up JB's entire run, too, and then sit down and read both runs together.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

Not sure where it was in the run (it's been a while!) but I still think about that kid reconstructed from videotapes.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 11  

Mr. Byrne - well, if you have comps that you don't REALLY want, I'd be glad to take one off your hands... :)

Regarding runs of Wonder Woman, I think that the character has always been difficult to identify. Her mission seemed to be "fighting for peace", which has been compared to screwing for virginity.

But I think it's not that simplistic. And I feel that Mr. Perez' run on Wonder Woman was superb. And I think your run on Wonder Woman was superb. There is not just one story to be told about Diana. Both of those runs were tremendous fun and entertainment, and - dare I say? - some great art.

So I can't compare the runs with "George did this" and "John did this" and one being better than the other... it's like comparing spannakopita and baklava.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 12  

JB is it shiny or flat paper?

••

From my first post in this thread: "Package is well put together -- not gloss paper!!"

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version