Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

Still debating whether or not to go see this, especially after Pirates 4 (saw that only on cable, and still felt like I'd walked the plank)...

However, thought this was a clever bit of promotion on the part of Disney:

Johnny Depp appears in Disneyland's Pirates Ride
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

When I look back on it, the only film in the franchise I really enjoyed was the first.  Every movie after that was a cascade of moderately bad to downright awful.  I'll pass on the fifth one, thank you very much!

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 3  

I kinda liked the 4th one, but I'm a big fan of Tim Powers (and the publisher I worked for eons ago published some of his books).  I'd probably re-watch the 4th one before I'd rewatch the 2nd or 3rd.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 4  

I enjoy the first quite a bit, thought the second and third were bloated and cynical, and found four to be a slight improvement over the other sequels.  I think the trailers for the new film look fantastic except ... Johnny Depp.  I know he's the star of the franchise, but I find him to be increasingly tedious.  His overly quirky performances were a lark at first, but now it's just annoying shtick. I'm up-in-the-air about seeing this one. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 5  

I didn't know there was a 4th. Despite the cliffhanger, I never bothered with III.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 6  

Even the original is overlong, but the sequels are stereotypical of some of the unnecessary sequel bloat that has crept into the summer movie season over the last decade or two.  I'd be more inclined to follow this series if they were light and breezy 90 min. or 2 hour adventures, but knowing that they all clock-in between 130-160 minutes, filled to the brim with preposterous CGI overload and (now-tiresome) Johnny Depp schtick...

...sorry, but that's my idea of movie hell.  (And a double bill with TRANSFORMERS 5 could kill me.)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 06 May 2017 at 9:51am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 7  

I watched the first on DVD and just could not see what anyone saw in the film. I've never been to DisneyWorld so had no emotional attachment to the idea, and the film didn't add any to that position.

Have not watched any of the others. Can't say I feel like I've missed anything as each advert just looks like more of the same. I'm sure I must be wrong and this is the position of a total outsider to Star Wars or Marvel but I know those films do have differences. This? I'm not sure
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've found these films to be as good as their villains.
I loved the character of Davy Jones. The fourth wasn't
as compelling without an equivalent. The new one show's
some promise in this regard.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

Paul McCartney will have a role (a cameo, I assume) in "Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales."  Leave it to Paul to star in the movie with a title that will only encourage those "Paul Is Dead" conspiracy types. Heh.

"Look, the title is proof Paul was replaced with a lookalike in 1966."

Here's the pic:

LINK!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

I really liked the first one. I thought Johnny Depp was brilliant in portraying Jack Sparrow. But over time, that kind of campy humor does get old.

I tend to believe most franchises should stop at three movies. A good trilogy feels right.  A beginning, a middle, an end. Anything longer than that and things grow stale. 

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

I found it to be ... okay.  I suppose I might regard it as the second best film in the series, but that's not saying much.  PIRATES, like so many franchises, has been coasting on the goodwill of the original.  Four and five weren't as bad as two and three, but still a far cry from being good.

There are a few effective sequences that evoke the basics -- pirates meet ghosts -- but the movie is crushed under excessive FX, overly choreographed slapstick, and ludicrous action set pieces.  Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow remains more of a hindrance than an asset; the novelty of that character wore off long ago.  The real star of the films, for me, has been Geoffrey Rush, an actor who can do florid without veering into camp.

Short-version: a just barely adequate diversion.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think the phrase "if you've seen one, you've seen em' all" pretty much sums up this franchise for me. 

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 13  

I went to Pirates on Friday as a friend wanted to see it. I have to say, while the reviews are terrible and I went in with NO expectations, it was decent. To me, the first Pirates was good, the one with Penelope Cruz (I think four) was good (I could watch/listen to Penelope read the phone book - if a phone book even existed anymore) and this one is at least a passable diversion.

Generally I think pirate movies are pirate movies. Are there pirates? Are there exotic locales? Is there action? If so, it's a pirate movie. Are they worth your movie-going dollars? Depends what you want from a movie and if you think the above description is something you like. 

I also saw the Alien movie (another friend asking me to go - maybe I need new friends, haha). Same thing. I saw the first two then skipped the next 100. I didn't find it great or terrible. It was beautifully made but pretty depressing. My point, oftentimes (to me) sci-fi is sci-fi and pirates are pirates. I see a lot of repetition in the two genres. If you like these things, you probably will like the movies. If you don't, stay away.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 14  

I thought it was entertaining. To be honest, I found the scenes WITHOUT Jack Sparrow to be more interesting.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 15  

For you fans of those horrifically expensive yet oh-so-exquisite Japanese action figures out there, Jack Sparrow in the six inch scale:

I might get it, depending on how I enjoy this new Pirates. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 30 May 2017 at 7:10am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 16  

It's hard to call $114 mill domestic in 2 wks a flop but P5 is clearly a disappointment, slipping 66% in its second frame after an underwhelming first weekend.   This basically guarantees the movie will be the lowest grossing of the five domestically not even adjusting for inflation.  Fortunately, it's doing better overseas, though the franchise seems likely to lose ground there as well.  Maybe this really is the conclusion to the saga.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 17  

I've seen the first 4 Pirates of the Caribbean films & I enjoyed them all. I look forward to seeing the latest & hope it continues after that.

They've all been very reliable entertainment for me over the years, filled with great special effects, fine acting & fun & exciting stories.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2017 at 11:25pm | IP Logged | 18  

The 5th movie is pretty paint by numbers, but it is at least coherent.  (A clearly leads to B which leads to C).  It makes it predictable as heck though. 

Also it helped that Jack Sparrow is arguably the fourth lead in the movie. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version