Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: American Gods (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 1  

Never read the novel.  But the debut episode has me intrigued.  

This one might be the true Sunday night replacement for Game Of Thrones once it bows out.  Westworld is good, but it rarely left me with serious "Oh SHIT!" moments.  American Gods seems to be loading up those moments into the bomb bay and is preparing to drop them in a season long saturation campaign.

Anyone else onboard? 

Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 2  

I haven't gotten to watch the first episode yet, though I've read the novel.  I'm going to give it a shot, but after the bad experience of Leftovers, I'm not getting too excited just yet.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm planning to watch it, but I'm trying to finish a re-read of the novel before I
do so.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've read the novel a few times (most recently, a few months back) and my reaction is always the same: it's more interesting for its ideas than its execution.  Gaiman introduced some intriguing characters and concepts, but as a whole the book just kind of meanders and sputters.

I thought the first episode was good and surprisingly faithful (except maybe for the over-the-top, stylized violence; that seems to come from Starz more than the source), but mostly I find myself wondering if someone else can bang this into a more cohesive and satisfying narrative.  Worked for GOT, at least; I've consistently found the show to be better than the novels.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

I always felt the meandering narrative was intentional and telling of the "road trip" inspiration and theme of the novel.  Its part of the charm that I love in the book. Sputters is not a word I would use to describe the book.  But overall, I thought the execution was exactly what such a book should be.

Started to watch the first episode, but a lack of sleep over the weekend forced me to put it off.  My wife enjoyed it a great deal.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2017 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

I've read the book and I don't see how it can work as either a TV series or a movie. BUT, so far, the consensus is that it's a good, if challenging, series.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well, I watched the first episode, and I'm in for the first season at least.  Definitely faithful.

Before it aired, I told my wife, "How on earth could they possible do that one scene on television...even on cable...?"

Lo and behold, they did that one scene on television.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2017 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 8  

Mr. Nancy's speech at the opening of the second episode had me ready to set fire to something.  A really impactful scene.  

Lots of dialog this time around.  But still lots of 'whoa' stuff going on.  

Gillian Anderson makes an amazing Lucile Ball (Ricardo).

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I continue to be somewhat amazed at how faithful the adaptation this is turning out to be; episode two contained the second sequence ("Lucy's tits") that I never imaged would be filmed as-is.

I enjoyed the second episode more than the first; the presence of Gillian Anderson and Cloris Leachman helped.  I imagine the show, like the book, is going to be a series of trippy vignettes that don't amount to much, but I (more or less) enjoy the book for its strengths and weaknesses and my reaction is about the same to the series.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

Another stellar episode.

I can imagine the God of Death doesn't like to be cheated out of his opportunity to do his duty.  

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 23 May 2017 at 9:34am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 11  

I've never read the book, but I really like this show. The tone is very similar to the Preacher T.V. show, which I also enjoy. Strange how I avoided Vertigo comics like the plague, but am drawn to the adaptations and spiritual descendants. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 12  

I didn't like the fourth episode at all; in fact, turned it off halfway through out of boredom.  I suppose I'll give it another go but the show, like the book, isn't amounting to much.  I give it credit for being remarkably faithful, but to the source's flaws as well as its strengths.  Any hopes I had that the series would fill in some of the gaps are eroding.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 13  

When I first heard about this project, I thought that with a great cast and some honing of the plot, they could create a very compelling TV series.  I was thrilled when I saw the cast lists. 

However, they have made some things needlessly *more* complicated than they were, and they have added contemporary stuff that took me right out of the story.

I think this may be joining Iron Fist as shows that I just couldn't bring myself to finish until that point when I'm desperate for something to watch.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version