Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: X-Men: Dark Phoenix - SPOILERS begin Pg 7 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So now they're saying that Dark Phoenix is expected to be a bigger flop than 2015's "Fantastic Four".

Seems bizarre that the two Marvel books which were among the most popular in the 1980s, and which are most associated with JB's work in that period, have consistently resulted in some of the worst movies. Is this a new variation of the "Byrne Curse"?

Here's hoping that people with some vision get involved with the FF and X-Men franchises and produce movies worthy of the characters and stories. Both deserve truly epic multi-part films, ala The Avengers in the MCU movies.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Seems bizarre that the two Marvel books which were among the most popular
in the 1980s, and which are most associated with JB's work in that period,
have consistently resulted in some of the worst movies. Is this a new variation
of the 'Byrne Curse?'"

Wow - you cannot hang the creative and financial failure on JB after he has
stated that he won't even watch these movies, much less participate in their
creation/content.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Seriously??? It's a "Byrne curse," Koroush, when the same studio has massacred the same storyline twice using the same screenwriter? Really, that's on JB in your mind?

Ok, explain the success of the film version of "Days of Future Past." It was well received and said to be one of the better films in the franchise. Like "Dark Phoenix," it is hardly a faithful adaptation,  though I would argue it is more faithful than "Dark Phoenix."

I dare say, had the story of Dark Phoenix been approached correctly, it definitely would have been a huge success. Don't be like Hollywood and blame the source material for the failure of the adaptation.  At least,  when Hollywood does it, the motive is to save face and pass on the blame. Tinsel Town doesn't need any help in doing that. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I would say it's more than curse of any comics or prose writer, or artist for that matter, that sees their work adapted in another media into something terrible that resembles the original story only in the most superficial ways, rather than a variation of the more specific "Byrne curse" where he draws something and it later comes true, which I believe is more of what Koroush is referring to rather than blaming JB for having bad movies based on his work. Alan Moore so hated the adaptations of his comics that he refuses to even take any money from them now when they are made against his wishes and gives all the money to the artist (who he then gets angry with and unfriends if they don't seem grateful enough for his generosity, see Dave Gibbons and David Lloyd). He did however keep the money from all the sales of the Watchmen collections which saw a huge boost from the movie, supposedly to the tune of more than seven figures according to Moore himself.  

Edited by Shane Matlock on 09 July 2019 at 11:59pm

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Matt Hawes wrote:
Ok, explain the success of the film version of "Days of Future Past." It was well received and said to be one of the better films in the franchise.

Easy - that was the Claremont Charm at work.

Relax guys, I'm not blaming JB, I'm suggesting (slightly tongue-in-cheek mind you) that JB seems to have a curse whereby two books he's most prominently associated with have now been mangled multiple time by the movie rights owners.

To have just one of your famous works screwed up by Hollywood is bad luck; to have two treated this way is a curse! All JB needs now is for that all-female Alpha Flight movie to get the green light and it'll be confirmed.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Dark Phoenix failed twice, because the first bore no
resemblance to the comic story, and the second bite of
the cherry by the same guy, also bore no resemblance to
the comic, it was obvious from the trailers. Like the
dreadful FF film, i have no desire to pay to see this.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2019 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Olivia Munn was shocked, but not many of us fans! 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just read online that DARK PHOENIX exits theatres this week/end with domestic/international receipts totaling in at about 259 million dollars.

When I read that I snickered at the thought that in today's world, a a movie making over a quarter of a billion dollars is a MAJOR flop!  That was until I got further down in the article and saw the damn thing had a production budget of 200 MILLION!  

Marc

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Iím shocked itís still in theaters. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The likelihood of the the New Mutants movie making it to theaters is now approximately nil. Disney took a major loss from DARK PHOENIX, apparently. First quarter profits way down or something to that effect.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

How can first quarter profits be way down with the way CAPTAIN MARVEL performed?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think itís more accurate to say that the Fox acquisition massively underperformed.  Part of their buying price for Fox was an estimate of revenues from current projects.  Those projects, not just Dark Phoenix but also Stuber and a few others performed massively below those estimates.  So Disney is paring  future Fox releases back to the bone.  New Mutants will most likely wind up on Hulu.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version