Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Bill O’Reilly Out! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

Anthony,  I am a high school teacher. Is it appropriate or acceptable if I ask out a student who is of legal age? Does it matter if she is okay with it or consents to it?  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

Anthony,  I am a high school teacher. Is it appropriate or acceptable if I ask out a student who is of legal age? Does it matter if she is okay with it or consents to it?  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Neil I would say no it isn't okay but I'm sure you would no better than I the answer to that question. 

However Not every situation is the same.  Not everyone is a teacher and high school student.  

For instance lets say you were a college professor and it were one of your students of legal age. That is a different situation than the question you posed. There may be no problem morally and legally with that one. 

As with the ones I mentioned about my former co-workers. 

Also with  the case with Clinton and Lewinsky. It's different from what I experienced or you high school question. Even my college example.
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

As a teacher, it would not be ok due to the power imbalance, even if it is consensual.  Doesn't matter if they are legal age or not. Same as with Universities. Professors are not allowed to have a relationship with a student if they are their teachers. Same thing goes with your friends. If they had decided to refuse the instigation from their bosses, their boss could have fired them or ruined their career. Even if they say it is consensual, it never can be if there is a power imbalance. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

As a teacher, it would not be ok due to the power imbalance, even if it is consensual.  Doesn't matter if they are legal age or not. Same as with Universities. Professors are not allowed to have a relationship with a student if they are their teachers. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Having never been a teacher myself. I must concede to you knowledge of the situation.

Same thing goes with your friends. If they had decided to refuse the instigation from their bosses, their boss could have fired them or ruined their career. Even if they say it is consensual, it never can be if there is a power imbalance. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In this instance Neil you aren't in their position so you can't speak to it being consensual or not.  

There was a power imbalance but it never came into play even when the casual affair ended.  In this case She was the boss and she didn't end it. The affair was ended by the guy.  She wasn't pleased with that. She could have abused per position but she didn't. She kept her personal disappointment separate from the job. She never punished him for breaking it off. 

She eventually got over it and that was the end of it.  

I'd like to also add that he wasn't the best worker had she fired him she easily could have given good cause. A point I made to her but she wasn't the kind of person to do that kind of thing.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 20 April 2017 at 9:01pm

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
She could have abused per position but she didn't.

Therein lies the fundamental problem. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Therein lies the fundamental problem. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elaborate

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 20 April 2017 at 9:15pm

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 7  

So is the title of his next book going to be Killing My Career?

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 8  

Anthony, I don't see how I can elaborate any more than what I did. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 9  

So is the title of his next book going to be Killing My Career?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The title will be 
"How to Trick your Co workers into Having Sex: Without getting a sexual harassment lawsuit filed against you." HA !

As a bit of a side note  for anyone interested. That book title is one I made up years ago. Back when I use to work for Barnes and Nobles. My fellow co workers and I would play jokes on each other. One of the longest running gags was to call the store pretending to be a customer looking for a book. The crazier the title the better.  Well the above was one of the fake titles I invented while playing the joke.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 21 April 2017 at 4:00am

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 10  

Bill O finally responded publicly via his podcast, the only mass media outlet available to him <guffaw>.  He's insisting that "the truth will come out." The Washington Post notes that this is interesting since there's no pending litigation with Fox or from any of the women he harassed.  It's rare to see a 67-year-old crybaby, but there you have it.  Good riddance to a true piece of shit.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 11  

I suspect Billo will go to subscription-based satellite radio. He has enough fans to make it worthwhile and that business model doesn't require advertisers. It will keep his brand afloat and sustain his rather middling pseudo-histories ("I was there!" ...yeah right).

And he'll be forgotten by Fox News, cable TV in general and millions of us who are aware of these things by osmosis. If Howard Stern is any indication, O'Reilly's influence in this new medium (if he does go there) will be minimal at best.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Are you implying Howard Stern had minimal influence on satellite radio??

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version