Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Summer Movies 2017 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

Same here, Thom... I've only seen a handful so far this year, and I haven't flat-out loved any of 'em.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

On the box office front, for those who are interested, GOTG 2 has now grossed more than the original globally and is Marvel's 5th biggest film, Baywatch was a bit of a damp squib this weekend with $18 million over 3-days. The latest Pirates of the Caribbean was sorta-kinda OK domestically with $62 million over the same period, but did gangbusters globally. Disney films have already grossed an accumulated $1 billion at the box office this year.

Finally, Alien: Covenant is dropping like a stone, with a 71% week-on-week decline in takings at the US box office.

My personal take is that Baywatch failing to find a huge audience doesn't come as a big surprise, while I feel the stage is set for Wonder Woman to go large this weekend

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

Will be interesting to see how Baywatch does internationally.
It seems like I remember that was the most watched show in the world at one time.
Of course Hasselhoff may have had something to do with that.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

"The Germans really love David Hasselhoff!"

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 5  

Wonder Woman did, indeed, go large, with a $100 million opening weekend at the domestic box office, no doubt boosted by positive critical response and word of mouth, the sixth largest opening weekend for a non-sequel comic-book movie. Internationally, it was a similar story -- by way of comparison, Baywatch brought in $67 million from 31 international markets, while Wonder Woman grossed $122 million from  55 overseas markets. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2017 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

So happy WONDER WOMAN is being received so well... will probably catch it this coming weekend, which also features the debuts of THE MUMMY (2017) and IT COMES AT NIGHT.  I'll most likely see the former (with my younger sister, then maybe a second time with my son, if I think it's good and relatively age-appropriate); the latter I may have to catch on my own, maybe on a night when I just need to get out of the house!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 7  

So far, at about the 45-day mark, the only two films that appear to be unqualified smashes have been GUARDIANS, VOL. 2 and WONDER WOMAN.  Everything else seems to be vastly underperforming (though the forthcoming CARS 3 and DESPICABLE ME 3 should probably do just fine).

After this year and last, it feels like the summer movie season just ain't what it used to be!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

Opening today... TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT

You couldn't pay me.  My son has expressed interest... normally I'm a pushover (he's too young for this anyway), but I'll still be putting my foot down on this one.  No way.  Even if he was 17 or 27 or if I was terminally ill and this was the last movie he ever wanted to see with me.

Just:  Nope-nope-nope-nope-nope-nope-nope!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version