Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: The Good Fight (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2017 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 1  

Anyone here watching this spin-off from The Good Wife?

It's on CBS' streaming service, so I'm not sure how many people actually have access (I get it via W in Canada, which is part of my cable package), but I think it's superb.

The Kings are obviously excellent writers, and they have seamlessly woven the pre-existing characters into a new milieu, while retaining that topicality of politics and technology that was such a key part of The Good Wife.

I actually think the cast and characters are now superior to the show's predecessor: Cush Jumbo and Christine Baranski have been given much more to do, Rose Leslie is a fascinating actress to watch and best of all for me is Delroy Lindo, whose character is a wonderful mix of charisma, wiliness and toughness.

Anyway, I recommend the show. Any thoughts from anyone else who's watching?

Edited by Peter Martin on 11 April 2017 at 9:07am
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 April 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 2  

Love it as much as I loved its predecessor.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that the cast and characters are superior, but they are absolutely on par with THE GOOD WIFE. The deft way the Kings handle drama and comedy is amazing. I especially love that they are bringing back popular guest stars and recurring characters in a way that doesn't feel cheap.  Elsbeth Tascioni is a particular favorite and she fit seamlessly into the narrative. Colin Sweeney, the character so smug and confident in his abilities that he got away with not one but two murders, turned up this week.  I also love that Sarah Steele ("Marissa Gold") is now a series regular.  

I'm with you, Peter.  Can't recommend this show highly enough! Very excited that it got a second season pickup.  

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2017 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

Watched the pilot when it aired. I'm too cheap--and fearful I'll never leave my home, what with the unlimited access to tons of shows and movies--for Netflix.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 4  

Just a point of clarification: THE GOOD FIGHT isn't on Netflix.  It's on CBS All Access.  You still wouldn't leave your home with that option either, Greg, as it's got every iteration of STAR TREK, full seasons of THE TWILIGHT ZONE and CHEERS (among many others) as well as current runs of CBS owned TV series.  It will also debut the new TREK series in a month or so.  It fills a niche for me!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 5  

Oh, yes, CBS All Access. Force of habit for me to say "Netflix"!

Ian Penman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 6  

I'm with everybody; Great show, excellently written. I'd like to see Eli Gold make an appearance as we've got his daughter.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 7  

Enjoyed the premiere on free tv and I generally like what the Kings do (I was one of about three people who watched Brain Dead last summer.)   However, we don't subscribe to CBS all access so this will likely be an eventual binge watch whenever Netflix finally gets the rights eons from now.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 8  

Although it had a good beginning, middle and end, I wished that more people watched BRAIN DEAD so that we could have gotten a Season 2.  It really was a quirky, excellent series with the King's usual brand of whipsmart humor and compelling drama.  Jonathan Coulton's "Previously On" songs were a particular highlight. 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 9  

I would have enjoyed another season (particularly with Trump now in office, making Shalhoub's buffoonery look comparatively Lincolnesque) but I am also grateful that the Kings saw the handwriting on the wall and chose to go out with a wonderfully satisfying resolution.   Coulton's recaps were classic.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

The story of BRAIN DEAD ended. There was no reason for a second season. I wish more American TV was written with a beginning, middle, and end.

Edited by Tim Cousar on 13 April 2017 at 12:50pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

I very much enjoyed Brain Dead also (and loved those recaps, so deftly done).

Back to The Good Fight, good call Matt on the Marissa Gold character -- she was a good character in The Good Wife and adds a little spark every week now as a regular. Her interaction with the firm's PI is nicely entertaining.

Also interesting with the show is the move from the constraints of Network TV to the shackles-off environment of the streaming service. I don't think the fruitier language necessarily improves anything -- I don't really feel the need to hear the word 'fuck' come out Diane Lockhart's mouth -- but it has opened up the possibility for more genuinely adult storylines. For example, the alt right episode didn't have to pull any punches in terms of the nastiness of their online positing. For once, adult themes means adult themes, not puerile profanity and/or gory violence.

Edited by Peter Martin on 13 April 2017 at 1:05pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2017 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

The story of BRAIN DEAD ended. There was no reason for a second season.
Tim, the producers only ended the show because they knew they were going to be cancelled, but it was never intended to be that way.  The series was originally planned / intended to go four seasons - one in DC, one in Wall Street, one in Silicon Valley, and finally one in Hollywood. 

Regarding the Good Fight, I hope they will utilize more of the utility infield of The Good Wife.  While some of the old cast has migrated to the new show there are plenty of other lawyers and judges it would be agreeable to see again on occasion (including Alicia if they can come up with a good story.)   Better Call Saul has mined some of Breaking Bad's rogues gallery quite effectively. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 April 2017 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 13  

They've already done that to great effect, Rick.  Gary Cole (Kurt McVeigh), Sarah Steele (Marissa Gold), Christine Lahti (Andrea Stevens), Michael Boatman (Julias Cane), Matthew Perry (Mike Kresteva), John Benjamin Hickey (Neil Gross), Carrie Preston (Elsbeth Tascioni), Frankie Faison (Jeremiah Easton) and Dylan Baker (Colin Sweeney) have all made appearances with Steele becoming a regular.  As far as the judges, most have been ones we saw on THE GOOD WIFE.  

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 14  

Rick, I've seen that you are correct, but I still think BRAIN DEAD didn't need to go any further than one season. REVENGE, for example, should have been a one season show, too.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 April 2017 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 15  

As far as seeing Alicia again, I think that's a tough one.  Personally, I wouldn't want to see her in the first couple of seasons.  If it makes it to a third season, then that's when I'd start to consider it.  That character was the driving force of the original such that I think time needs to cool before we see her again.  And then they have to adequately address the end of THE GOOD WIFE between she and Diane.  I'd want a couple episode arc that somehow keeps Alicia around and that ultimately addresses their severe falling out. For fans, it's a tightrope because that GOOD WIFE ending was certainly controversial (when I mentioned THE GOOD FIGHT on FB several said they had reservations because of the way THE GOOD WIFE ended).  As much as I'd love to see Alicia, I don't feel like I'd think less of the series if we never did...and I think that would be kinda, sorta brave as well.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 April 2017 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 16  

Watched the season finale this morning.  So good.  Gonna be tough to wait eight months for Season 2.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 17  

Cool. I need to watch this. Loved THE GOOD WIFE, but didn't think the last two seasons were up to the standards of the ones before. So I've been cagey about the spin-off.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version