Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Batgirl + Whedon = Success ?? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 1  

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon- warner-bros-1202018544/

Please keep this away from the Snyderverse.
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 2  

Snyder is on borrowed time so WB getting Whedon to do this film is perfect timing. Of course, the studio has developed a rep for losing directors so let's see how this develops.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

My main problem with Whedon is that all his characters are quippy and funny.  (at least it feels that way)  It would be nice to see a broader range of personalities and dialog.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

Sounds good to me!

Robert>>My main problem with Whedon is that all his characters are quippy and funny.<<

Usually the more "mature" the character is personality-wise, the less quippy they are. One could impose a scale from Buffy to Illyria (Old God character on Angel), I suppose.

The thing is, is Joss is funny, and it's hard for a lot of writers to keep parts of their own voice out of the dialog.  See: Quentin Tarantino.  QT makes it work for him, but there are often long stretches of dialog where I swear I can hear QT talking.

Funny balances well against Scary though, so this could work pretty well.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

Quippy and funny works pretty well for Batgirl, don't you think?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Whedon and Tarantino have nothing on Amy Sherman-Palladino (of "Gilmore Girls" fame)... talk about writing every one of your characters with a single voice...!

At this point, I'll take any new writer or director for a DC film over the likes of David Goyer or Zack Snyder.  And hopefully Whedon will produce a palatable-enough BATGIRL film that I can take my daughters to see it, without fear of scarring them for life.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, in a DCEU where everyone is
depressing, gritty, gloomy and murder-y,
I'll be happy to see quipped and funny for
a change.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

Wow. Something to really look forward to and not in a guarded, fingers-crossed, hoping-against-hope someone awful can actually be good for a change kind of way as with the Wonder Woman film. Whedon gets knocked a lot because his characters are funny, but having revisited Buffy recently, they truly are not all funny in the same way or with the same voice. Anya is not Willow who is not Dawn who is not Tara who is not Buffy and so on. The characters do speak in their own voices. Even deprived of their voices, their reactions and temperaments differ. 

My one fear at this point? A Killing Joke reference of some sort where Batgirl instantly takes out a number of gunmen at her front door or winds up shot and must struggle to overcome her paralysis. I'd just as soon not go there with the character. At this point, most of Whedon's young audience knows the character from the Super-Hero High School franchise. Keeping references back to the character's history at a minimum would suit the project better, I think. 

Of course, being of a certain demographic, I would get a kick out of her having a rotating wall in her apartment that leads to a motorcycle garage. But that's just me, and again, probably wrong for the current audience.

A question that comes to me as I post this: Does Whedon signing on with the Warners franchises re-open the possibility of his Wonder Woman script ever getting made? Of course, if the new WW does well, the current team with be the heroes and invited to stick around, but there is that script by the guy who directed the two Avengers movies still lying around... As I recall, the reason it was nixed was primarily that it was a period piece. Now that they've backdated the character all the way to World War One, that shouldn't be a problem any longer. A rewrite to acknowledge the events of the first film and perhaps Whedon's version would be good to go? Maybe...?

For now, I'll just be happy with this. Batgirl's a great character.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think this could be a fun movie. I think Whedon is very balanced. But.... you know someone is going to die.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 10  

Wow. Something to really look forward to and not in a guarded, fingers-crossed, hoping-against-hope someone awful can actually be good for a change kind of way as with the Wonder Woman film.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I agree this is something to look forward to. I am however keeping my fingers crossed. I didn't think that Warner would have let Superman look the way that it did.  So who knows what Warner might do.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

Anthony, not only did Warners ok Superman
looking like this, I'm 90% sure it was
their mandate before Snyder and Goyer made
the movie. If you watched the documentary
about the failed Burton movie, Lorenzo
DiBonaventura wanted to lose the trunks
and make him darker and grittier going
back to '96. When SUPERMAN RETURNS failed
to produce numbers they were hoping for,
there was no way we were going to get any
different than what made it to the screen.

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

As Whedon has gone on record as being extremely opposed to studio interference in his projects (and supposedly one of the reasons he left Marvel Studios following the AVENGERS sequel), DC/WB's track record in this regard ( the muddled, disjointed mess that was SUICIDE SQUAD, attempted micromanaging on WONDER WOMAN and FLASH) does not bode well for this movie, or, at least, Whedon's involvement in it.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2017 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 13  

Good point, David.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 14  

Of course, the key issue is, will DC still be making movies by the time they want to produce "Batgirl"? Can they afford to keep shoving these stink bombs onto the screen? "Wonder Woman" and "Justice League" had better clear some major bucks, or the money machine run out. I doubt that Warner is going to back a losing horse for THAT long.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 15  

As Whedon has gone on record as being extremely opposed to studio interference in his projects…

••

Sounds all too familiar, doesn't it? "How dare you interfere with what I want to do with these characters that I did not create and do not own!"

Same kind if thinking that helped to wreck comics.

Less time, more money…

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 16  

Sounds all too familiar, doesn't it? "How dare you interfere with what I want to do with these characters that I did not create and do not own!"

••••

JB, but I find this instance to be different from the normal ones... how many times did you grow frustrated by editorial interference in matters that DID NOT serve the character(s) or your storyline well? I think someone like Joss Whedon fits in that category. I think that's also why Bruce Timm stepped away from DC's animated projects.

-C!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 17  

In the case of AGE OF ULTRON, my understanding is that Whedon's
differences with Marvel executives stemmed from their requests for
cuts that would undermine the story he was telling in order to make
room for expository scenes that would service the multi-film arc about
the Infinity Stones.

I think many comic writers would be sympathetic toward someone
being told by editorial to change the story they are writing (and have it
make less sense) in order to include material about the big crossover
event.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 18  

I wonder how many of the people looking forward to this are aware of what's been done with Batgirl recently in the comics, and how well that fits with a lot of Whedon's worst writing tics.

This may be good news for somebody, but not for somebody like me who likes the classic version of the Batgirl character.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 19  

I recall the classic Batgirl trading her share of quips with Batman and Robin back in the day.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 20  

••••

JB, but I find this instance to be different from the normal ones... how many times did you grow frustrated by editorial interference in matters that DID NOT serve the character(s) or your storyline well?

••

Multiple forced crossovers would fit that bill -- but then the challenge to the creative team became finding ways to make it work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version