Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Stephen King’s IT (2017) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And it's used positively here. I've managed to convince three friends, one of whom doesn't like horror, to give it a go.

Funny, my facebook "review" of IT - as positive and glowing as it was - actually deterred a few friends from going. They're too scared to get scared! 

That somewhat baffles me. As odd as this may sound, I find fear exhilarating.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I thought Wendi Pini summed it up nicely when she said the horror might scare young adults, but she was not scared. It is a well done film, but none of the scare moments caused me jumped. The actual horror for me involved the actual people with the spooky behavior and not Pennywise.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I said on the previous page that Riley probably wouldn't go see it, because he's scared of clowns. Well, he's at the theater waiting to go see it right now, with some friends of his.

I just hope he doesn't decide to sleep on the couch tonight, because I'm usually up late.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The actual horror for me involved the actual people with the spooky behavior and not Pennywise.

Those scenes are scary (no doubt), but I find Pennywise scary, too. Not only the performance, but the way he moves. He moves in an otherworldly way. 
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just got back from seeing it with my youngest sister (who was only 2 when the TV mini-series first aired)... I'll get into a longer review tomorrow, but for now:

Very effective in some parts, unintentionally humorous in others; a much more polished film than the mini-series, but probably only still halfway to a proper adaptation... this film is almost more of a retelling, more than anything else.

For me, doesn't quite hit the modern gold standard of the first two CONJURING films, for supernatural horror... and I have a lot of issues with the inconsistent tone & humor, the changes from the book (waaaaay more than I was expecting--and they robbed Eddie of a signature scene from the climax), and the overabundance of CGI.

The kids were all uniformly, wonderfully excellent--I could have easily sat through a 3-hour version of this, if it meant more scenes of them acting together and riffing off each other.  Pennywise was... interesting.

For now, probably a solid B grade, when it comes to viewing this as a faithful adaptation... however, I might give this an A in terms of IT possibly being the "Ultimate Stephen King movie"--with all the good & bad that implies!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 12 September 2017 at 9:38pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Good to read your review, Shaun.

Even the lukewarm reviews I've read state that it was interesting at least. No-one seemed bored. 

It does appear people like different things, though. Some like the kids, but weren't that taken with Pennywise; others like the horror characters, but not necessarily Pennywise.

I think Pennywise is, like Eisenberg's Lex Luthor and Jared Leto's Joker, a character that people will either love or hate.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The director's cut will have 15 minutes of extra footage:

Not sure if any extra footage can add to this movie. Seems superfluous in many respects. But we'll see.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Saw it today and enjoyed it,looking forward to seeing part 2!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This may as well go in here:

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

After a couple days, I can't say I loved the film... there were way too many changes from the book for my taste, but it's still very good, and I see no reason why it won't continue to be immensely popular for years to come.  I may catch it a second time before Halloween this year, and I'll most likely purchase a copy next year.

Definitely overhyped, but it's a rare horror crowd-pleaser just the same.

(As opposed to something like THE CONJURING 2--I still remember walking out of the theater last summer and seeing a group of shellshocked women convening right outside.  One almost whispered, "What'd you think?"  The other replied, dead-seriously:  "I'm petrified.  I don't wanna go home."  For the record, that one creeped me out for months afterwards!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 15 September 2017 at 4:11pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Saw it the other night with a couple of friends. I really enjoyed it. I haven't read the book since I was 19 so I can't speak for how accurate it is, but it definitely worked better than the TV miniseries (so far). 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Not a format I usually use, but due to the 2d version being sold out, I saw this in 4DX. And I gotta say, it really worked for this film. (Even if the opening scene had me wondering why I was paying to be rained upon in a cinema!)

But the seat movements really helped with the scares. And having water splattering your face when when blood was erupting on screen, or gusts of air on the back of your neck as if someone was breathing down it, added to the creepiness of it all.

It's worth shelling out the extra bucks if you find a cinema showing it in this way.

Edited by Jason Scott on 15 September 2017 at 10:17pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Wow, hadn't even heard of those, Jason... not sure if there's anything like that around here in the States.  If so, they must be in the big cities.  Sounds like a lot of fun!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

If you've ever been to Universal studios and seen
Terminator,Shrek or Spider-man 4D experiences,it's like
that.., brilliant!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

But the seat movements really helped with the scares. And having water splattering your face when when blood was erupting on screen, or gusts of air on the back of your neck as if someone was breathing down it, added to the creepiness of it all.

Each to their own, but if I was forced to endure that, I'd be annoyed pretty quickly! 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Each to their own, but if I was forced to endure that, I'd be annoyed pretty quickly!
-----------------------------------------------------------

It's funny Robbie, Normally I'd be in complete agreement. I'd find it annoyingly distracting for most movies, and as Bill points out it's much more fun in rollercoaster entertainment park rides. (I did the Spider-man and Terminator rides at Universal Studies too Bill, and enjoyed the heck out of them!)

However as a shared communal horror experience it worked like gangbusters for this movie. Hearing the shrieks of teenage girls as they got their make up splattered and jump scares where the seats actually took them by surprise made it wickedly more fun for me, at least on this ocassion. I was particularly satisfied by a seat luch that sent somebody's mobile phone flying out of their hands. Hahahah! So it was gratifying on this visit, for this film. But yeah, not for everyone and certainly not for every film.

Edited by Jason Scott on 17 September 2017 at 4:59am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I don't know if this'll play outside the UK, but I hope so:

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I don't know if this'll play outside the UK, but I hope so:

Oh, it plays. And now my eyes hurt from rolling so far back into my head!

For the record, it was scarecrows (well, one in particular) that haunted me as a child.     

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

So much wrong with that video.

They appeared to be suggesting the following 'facts':

* They put a guy in a clownsuit - and that clownsuit helped the film (there was me thinking a 31-year-old novel, and Stephen King's name, might have helped sell it).

* It's a recent phenomena. Hmmm, Joker, anyone? Or fictional clowns that predate him? Whether it's an episode of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN or classic horror films, clowns have been featured.

* It's a 'low-budget' film. Hmmm, budget was $35m. These guys were, well, clowns. In more ways that one. 

So much fakery in that interview, my head was ready to explode! And shame on the hosts for not even *attempting* to debunk certain myths.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The director responds:

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Saw the film this afternoon. My oldest wanted to go so I took her and onevof her friends. A really bad no real desire to see it but she really wanted to. I've owned the book for 20-25 years and have yet to read it and have never been a big horror movie fan. I have to say I was more than surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was like THE GOONIES with really scary stuff in it.  I really, really liked it. I'm ready for Chapter 2. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Brian,you really need to read that book! There`s so much
characterisation of the kids that the film cant
include,and then there`s finding out what they`re like
as adults.
When the film was released a couple of weeks ago we had
children`s entertainer clowns on tv moaning about the
film putting them out of work!The film is rated way
above the age of their audience,as is American Horror
Story,which curiously they haven`t mentioned,nor did
they a couple of years ago when the Freakshow storyline
ran.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Finally saw this. I'd been holding out due to the clown. Not bad! 

I read the book, but I barely remember it. I thought the young actors were great, and their wall-to-wall potty mouths really rang true with my own experience at that age.  

It was a little crazy two of our appealing young protagonists killed people and barely mentioned it again. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version