like GOTHAM CENTRAL, or if Marvel can
negotiate with Fox to get the Fantastic
Four, I think he could create something
interesting.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's way too late, but I think Daredevil might have been a good fit. 
Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

She-Hulk with a legal angle would be interesting under Sorkin.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Too bad Marvel Studios doesn't have X-Men. Sorkin could make those
giant Claremont word balloons work.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

He hasn't read any comic books? Maybe he should keep it that way and stay away.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think it all depends.  There are people who know less than nothing about comics who have brought something fun and unique to the table and there are people who supposedly know a ton about the characters because they've worked with them so long who have abused them beyond all recognition.  In short, I don't think you have to be a die-hard fan or even a casual one to understand good story and concept as long as you remain faithful to what made them popular in the first place.  

We've seen a ton of people who profess love of a character or brand and then shit all over them and we've seen people who have no affiliation with comics or a genre (Nicholas Meyer anyone?) be more reverent than a fan. Sometimes it can work out really well.  Other times not.  But you can't dismiss it out of hand, right out of the gate.   

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 2:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I like Sorkin, but he would have to write strongly against type in order to make a superhero show work.

What springs to mind with Sorkin is a show very heavy with dialogue and very little room for action and set-pieces. IRON FIST, in other words. ;-)

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Petter, I don't even think Aaron Sorkin can fix Iron Fist.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bendis is likewise dialogue heavy.  Maybe something Bendis wrote that didn't suck...

....I'm thinking here...

Edited by Steve De Young on 29 March 2017 at 1:27pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Bendis is a master of padding, though. Wouldn't want something that could be done in three episodes take up eight.

Loved Sorkin's work on Sports Night and The West Wing. He'd be an interesting choice for The Fantastic Four, but Reed would end up being even more longwinded when explaining things than he's been under some other writers.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Every time I watched The West Wing Martin Sheen reminded people he was the president so often the show turned into a drinking game. Sorkin could probably write a bang-up adaptation of Claremont-era X-Men. 
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Over a decade ago Marvel was hiring screenwriters for their comics. The resulting product may or may not have been entertaining, but we can all agree that we've forgotten what those stories were about, or the names of the folks who wrote them. Hopefully Adam Sorkin has a latent genius for superhero stories that not even he is aware of. 

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Matt: "But you can't dismiss it out of hand, right out of the gate."

All good points - but I just don't see the potential in his work. He is an incredibly talented writer whose work I admire, but he writes character pieces that traces back to his playwright roots. His work is mainly dialogue driven. I don't see anything in his work that speaks to the kind of visual language that would tell an action/adventure/fantasy story.

I'm concerned that marvel would give him some of their recent published work, which is so dialogue driven that it is like a play. He may see it and think it's right up his alley!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I'm calling it now:

Aaron Sorkin's HOWARD THE DUCK remake.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

He is an incredibly talented writer whose work I admire, but he writes character pieces that traces back to his playwright roots. His work is mainly dialogue driven. I don't see anything in his work that speaks to the kind of visual language that would tell an action/adventure/fantasy story
-----------------------------------------------
Well, one of Marvel's strengths -- when it was at its best -- was how character-driven those stories were. This doesn't dove-tail naturally with Sorkin in the manner of the execution, of course, and you're right in that there is no visual/action side to his writing heretofore...

...but, I do think he knows how to construct a good build up and payoff and how to write the character reactions around that payoff to enhance the effect. This could actually work well when it comes to selling how awesome the hero is.

The reason I said Daredevil as my suggestion for a good fit, is the legal/courtroom side and the relationship between Murdock, Nelson, Page, Fisk and so on. We have been told in the comics of Matt's ability to spin an argument on the fly, with Nelson as details man. I think Sorkin could actually show us Matt's eloquence and oratory skills rather than telling us about them. I think Foggy would be a totally natural fit for Sorkin's writing.

But -- as the article points out -- these kind of meetings between studios and writers are nothing unusual and often come to nothing, but I would be happy if something did happen here.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I agree that he would be wonderful with character development - that is a really good point Peter.

It's not just the dialogue driven nature of his work that is bothering me about this. I am skeptical that he would buy into the fantasy of it all.

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Given Marvel's upcoming schedule, I can't picture a guy like Sorkin doing anything they already have planned.

For DC, if WB wanted to take a risk, I could see Sorkin doing a Superman movie. Highlighting the "mild mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper" angle. I say risk, because that would involve Clark having an opinion on something that could potentially offend a portion of the audience. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Sorkin did say that he'd want a character he could read every issue of before he began work on the project. That demonstrates a certain willingness to proceed "in bounds" of what the comics portray. Here's hoping something can come of these talks. 

On the other hand, we kind of know what happened when David E. Kelley ventured into these waters... 

A few suggestions: I agree with those above who've suggested that a Sorkin take on She-Hulk could prove amusing, especially if they go with the initial Dan Slott approach. An additional plus: Not too many issues to have to read before Sorkin is caught up, especially if they skirt those that don't take place in the courtroom. 

The WGBS Newsroom: Focus on the main cast with the exception mostly of Clark who keeps disappearing from the background at crucial moments for some reason.

Wild in the West Wing: Joe Simon's Prez, complete with his mom as Vice President and friend Eagle Free as head of the FBI.

The Antisocial Network: Season-long deposition and trial of Brainiac 5 for his creation of Computo, the series finale ending with his creation of Omega. And a second Omega. Seriously, why was that guy ever allowed back on the team?

The Sports Knight Returns: NFL Superpro comes out of retirement one final time to play for Kickers, Inc. 

A Few Good X-Men: With Wolverine and Hugh Jackman out of the picture, the govt. demands that Sabretooth be released and placed on the team. Of course, the response comes back: "You want the 'Tooth? You can't handle the 'Tooth!!"

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Oh, and of course there's...

Servo X-51 on the Sunset Strip: Season-long courtroom battle for self-ownership and patent rights between Machine Man and Sunset Bain's Baintronics Corporation. We'll see if we can't get Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry in to play the bickering Peter Spaulding and "Gears" Garvin. :-)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version