Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Oh the irony.... (Race swapping) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

I don't have a problem when people have different opinions. Debating is all fine and good. I do have a problem when one person tries to invalidate another person's opinion. That seems to be all too common on public forums.

For the record, I'm not sure what side I'm on - but I think it is up to the writer and only the writer to decide what race his own characters should be. Done deal. 

In life, it now seems you are damned as a racists no matter what you do because there is certainly someone out there who will complain off the mountain top about your character race choices.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 30 March 2017 at 7:21pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

I agree that it's up to the writer/artist to decide what race his characters should be. They should try to be diverse in what they create. 

Those creations should first and foremost serve the story. Everything else should be ancillary to the story. 

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

Anthony J Lombardi wrote:
Any personal disagreements shouldn't be resolved by abusing that position.

So what are you saying, exactly, Anthony?  God forbid I "misunderstand" you as you've state a bajillion times.  Instead?  I'll ask you: have I done anything as a mod that has otherwise impeded your ability to post or to otherwise have a free discussion?  Have I deleted your posts, banned you from the forum or "put you on notice"?  

I think not.  That I think your continued defense of a position that gets weaker by the minute makes you a fool, I nevertheless have done nothing against you posting whatever you want to say and have not threatened your ability to do so.  So cries of "abusing that position" fall on totally deaf ears. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

Brian O'Neill wrote:
There are two kinds of people with whom one should not argue on internet forums: People who seem to enjoy antagonistic argument/'debate'; and site moderators.

Let me write that sage advice down...

hold...

OK. Got it.  Thanks. 

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

Anthony, my opinion goes a little more one direction than yours. I don't think a writer/artist should be obligated to try and be diverse just for the sake of diversity. 

If a creative wants to write a story about 4 white dudes (or 4 black, or 4 hispanic, etc.) it is his/her right.

And it's a fan's right to read that story or not. I don't think it's a fan's right to dictate, to the creator, a diversity requirement.

It should never be about race requirements or quotas. It should be about personal choice, both the creator's and the fan's.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

(Anthony & Matt:  This does count as "thread drift," does it not?)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 30 March 2017 at 8:46pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

Matt, if this is your 'online persona', then keep on' keepin' on. If you're this argumentative and pissy-pants irritable in your everyday life  to everyone you disagree with. then I feel sorry for everyone you know.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 2:35am | IP Logged | 8  

(Anthony & Matt:  This does count as "thread drift," does it not?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````
You're right it had gotten way off track. I'm trying to get back on the subject.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 9  

Anthony, my opinion goes a little more one direction than yours. I don't think a writer/artist should be obligated to try and be diverse just for the sake of diversity. 

If a creative wants to write a story about 4 white dudes (or 4 black, or 4 hispanic, etc.) it is his/her right.

And it's a fan's right to read that story or not. I don't think it's a fan's right to dictate, to the creator, a diversity requirement.

It should never be about race requirements or quotas. It should be about personal choice, both the creator's and the fan's.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
We are in agreement Robert. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 3:29am | IP Logged | 10  

Anthony J Lombardi wrote:
Any personal disagreements shouldn't be resolved by abusing that position.

So what are you saying, exactly, Anthony?  God forbid I "misunderstand" you as you've state a bajillion times.  Instead?  I'll ask you: have I done anything as a mod that has otherwise impeded your ability to post or to otherwise have a free discussion?  Have I deleted your posts, banned you from the forum or "put you on notice"?  
```````````````````````````

Matt Reed, my comment was not directed towards you nor was it in response to anything you wrote or did.

If it were I'd have no problem with attaching your name to it.

As to the rest of your comment. I find your lack of respect unacceptable.  If you insist on continuing to behave in this manner. Responding to you and this behavior is beneath me. 

As far as I can recall I have not treated you disrespectfully. If I have show me and I'll apologize to you.

If we are to continue in a cordial manner. I want and deserve an apology from you.  I don't expect that one will be coming. But I could be wrong.

Anything other than that is a complete waste of time. You aren't the reason that I come to this forum and interacting with you isn't a prerequisite to that time spent here.   

So if you aren't intent on making any interaction between us respectful and stress free. Consider this my final correspondence with you.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 11  

I hope this question isn't considered too off track, but…

What are your thoughts on actors like Dwayne Johnson (the offspring of a
Black father and Samoan mother) playing fictional characters of different
races? It's been rumored that he will play Captain Marvel's nemesis Black
Adam in a Shazam! movie, and some people say he would make a good
Sub-Mariner. If I correctly recall, our estimable host once said Johnson might
make a good "swarthy" Punisher. (JB, correct me if my memory is off here.)

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 31 March 2017 at 6:57am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 12  

What are your thoughts on actors like Dwayne Johnson (the offspring of a Black father and Samoan mother) playing fictional characters of different races? It's been rumored that he will play Captain Marvel's nemesis Black Adam in a Shazam! movie, and some people say he would make a good Sub-Mariner. If I correctly recall, our estimable host once said Johnson might make a good "swarthy" Punisher. (JB, correct me if my memory is off here.)

••

No fault in your memory, Wallace.

Mixed race actors present an interesting conundrum. Obviously, they are unlikely to find roles requiring their specific genetic cocktail. They will likely end up playing some race they outwardly resemble (like Johnson playing Egyptian, f'rinstance).

Acting is all about pretending to be other people. My problem arises when basic characteristics of those other people are ignored. I don't want to see Paul Giamatti playing Abraham Lincoln, even tho they are both White. I don't want to see Will Smith playing Sojourner Truth, even tho they are both Black.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 13  

I hope this question isn't considered too off track, but…

What are your thoughts on actors like Dwayne Johnson (the offspring of a 
Black father and Samoan mother) playing fictional characters of different 
races? It's been rumored that he will play Captain Marvel's nemesis Black 
Adam in a Shazam! movie, and some people say he would make a good 
Sub-Mariner. If I correctly recall, our estimable host once said Johnson might 
make a good "swarthy" Punisher. (JB, correct me if my memory is off here.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Dwayne Johnson is a damn fine actor. Anything i've seen him do he's done really well. So I've no doubt that he's be great as Black Adam.

As long as the actor looks the part it . Their race doesn't matter. Since Black Adam is from ancient Egypt. There should be no problem with him playing the part.

As for playing the Submariner. I don't think he is right for the part. Besides his ethnic background being too different IMO to play someone of Namor's lineage. I think he's to big and muscular.  

Jason Momoa on the other hand would make a good Prince Namor. If they can lighten up his tan a bit. Namor seems to me like he'd have a Pale complexion. 

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 31 March 2017 at 7:16am

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 14  

Jason Momoa on the other hand would make a good Prince Namor.

We'll find out soon enough...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 15  

The funny thing about Jason Momoa is that I think his version of Aquaman resembles Jae Lee's version of Namor more than Aquaman in any way, shape or form. And I mean close enough to almost justify if Marvel chose to sue over it. 

Love Dwayne Johnson (as an actor and as a wrestler), and while I have no problem at all with him playing Black Adam, I do have a problem with the idea of him playing Sub-Mariner. Not because of his race, but because of his build. He's too big (ripped) for the part. Plus people would make a lot of swimming jokes due to him doing Baywatch. Want him in a Sub-Mariner film? Then cast him as Attuma or Tiger Shark. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 31 March 2017 at 11:00am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 16  

Wasn't Jason Momoa also in "Baywatch," or one of its spin-offs?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 17  

I just checked  IMDb and you are correct Matt. He was indeed on Baywatch for a couple of seasons.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 18  

Wasn't Jason Momoa also in "Baywatch," or one of its spin-offs?

----

Baywatch Hawaii

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 19  

I can see Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam, but think someone slimmer would
be better for the Sub-Mariner. One thing I enjoyed about Namor's battles with
Ben (and the rest of the FF) and the Hulk is the way a relatively skinny guy
could face (and defeat) larger foes.

Is it odd that I think of the Thing as Ben and Namor as the Sub-Mariner?

[edited to correct a spelling error]

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 31 March 2017 at 6:03pm

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 20  

I think you guys have nailed the ultimate truth for me. I don't care what race any of the actors are in real life, I just like an actor to look the part.

Jason Momoa is a far better choice for Namor than he is for Aquaman of course. And, I hope Dwayne Johnson does actually play Black Adam. I think Dwayne and Black Adam are interesting in their own right.

Side note: Black Adam and Wonder Man fall into the same bucket for me. There really isn't anything that makes them "special", yet I have always liked those characters. Maybe its the no nonsense strong man.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 21  

I completely forgot about Baywatch Hawaii. Then again, the only thing I actually liked about it was redheaded and from Australia. Funny thing is, she's now Jason Momoa's ex-wife!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 April 2017 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 22  

Time upon a once the indicia at the bottom of each splash page proclaimed the copyright on each character "and the distinctive likeness thereof". This version of "Aquaman" certainly seems to be poaching in Namor's terrain -- tho if push came to shove, all these years of prima donna "creators" insisting on doing THEIR versions of the characters has seriously diluted the concept of "distinctive likenesses".

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2017 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 23  

Forget what I said a few pages back; it looks like we
are getting Black Lightning. Hooray!

Hope they don't complain about his name when it starts.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2017 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 24  

Oh, I'm sure someone will.

I recall that there was someone who wrote a letter Marvel actually published who complained about all the characters with "Black" in their name and asked why other characters weren't named "Green Hulk", "Yellow Shang-Chi", etc. 

I no longer have most of my comics, but I believe it was in the issue of Marvel Team-Up where Spider-Man and Beast fought Killer Shrike and the Modular Man, if anyone wants to check. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 25  

Black Lightning... well, that may be interesting, as long as no one minds the character becoming a transgender Mongolian person. (/sarcasm off.)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version