Superman's John Williams theme, and
Batman's Danny Elfamn theme from the Tim
Burton movie.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Randomish thoughts:

1) Color scheme was all over the place, and I'm not certain it was by design.  Possibly it was an indicator of the change between Snyder's original (the Flash and Aquaman intro sequences both had the hallmark Snyder pallor) and Whedon's reshoot, in which case I'm sort of surprised there was no attempt to bring it all into one general look

2) Which made me think about a real issue the DCEU has had with style.  Snyder is a stylist, no doubt, but he doesn't really know how to compose with color, so he desaturates his palette to a near monotone.  Whedon is a good writer and can stage action decently enough, but doesn't really have much panache with a camera.  I couldn't bring myself to watch Suicide Squad, but what I've seen looked bland.  Wonder Woman is the best looking film of the series by far, but Jenkins was (I think) working within the Snyder house style.  Hopefully she's got enough cachet now to leave more of a visual stamp on the sequel.

3) I don't know if it's that they've made the character so morose in previous outings, or if Henry Cavill is just a fundamentally unlikable guy, but, MAN, did I have a hard time buying into his chipper Superman, here.  There's a glimpse of it in the mid-credits scene that worked best, but what does it say about the casting and/or previous portrayal that him being all angry/scary was more believable than him being, you know, a hero?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Ayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

So now they're predicting Justice League will lose
money. If that happens, I wonder if much of anything
else will get the green light, other than Aquaman, which
has wrapped shooting, and Wonder Woman 2.

$50-$100 million loss for Justice
League

Adam Benford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The brand must now be dead, movie wise. May bode well for tv though.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

At this rate, I say give the producers of the CW/DC television shows a promotion to the film division... looks & sounds like they could make much more enjoyable DC movies, at more than half the cost!  Either that, or hand over the reigns to Patty Jenkins.

Either way, Warner Bros. needs to part ways with Zack Snyder in the most gracious way possible.  Time for a fresh (and overdue) re-start.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 25 November 2017 at 5:09pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

They probably should have let Snyder go as soon as the poor reception of BvS became evident. Which was a difficult thing to do, as JUSTICE LEAGUE started filming at the same time BvS opened in theaters. 

Maybe they should have offered Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale a mountain-sized pile of money and built their "cinematic universe" on the Dark Knight movies. They still can. Or do an adaptation of Crisis on Infinite Earths and end up with Justice League movies where Bale co-stars with Gal Gadot. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 25 November 2017 at 6:19pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Why do I feel bad?

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2017 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

At this rate, I say give the producers of the CW/DC television shows a promotion to the film division... looks & sounds like they could make much more enjoyable DC movies, at more than half the cost!  Either that, or hand over the reigns to Patty Jenkins.

Either way, Warner Bros. needs to part ways with Zack Snyder in the most gracious way possible.  Time for a fresh (and overdue) re-start.

----------------------

I wouldn't trust the TV producers either. They cocked up Flash season 3 pretty badly and Arrow has been on the decline for years now. Legends is all over the place and Supergirl is inconsistent and just as reactionary as the movies have been. 

What WB needs is a single vision to follow and not rule by committee. The latter being the reason BvS, SS and JL were chopped into bits after filming. Hell, the best scene in WW (crossing No Man's Land) was nearly cut by the suits at WB, but Patty Jenkins had to fight to keep it in. 

Snyder has already bowed out at WB. JL was the last in his trilogy and he's said publicly that he hasn't been involved (since May) or seen the the finished film Whedon put together. 

Saddest thing is, George Lucas warned us about this being the new normal years ago. Hollywood executives thinking they can micromanage and take over the creative process and make money making films. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

At this point I wouldn't mind a film version of FLASHPOINT that "reboots" the DCEU and then we can get the characters from the League as they should be, proper/traditional-looking costumes and all, and all the previous movies except for WONDER WOMAN will be "negated."

(For the love of Krypton, at least put Superman in a costume that looks like his current one. If you hate the trunks that much, fine, but the one in the comics in 2017 looks fine, so just use that in the movies!)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Saw it yesterday. Visually it just looked muddy. Terrible, terrible cgi. From Supermanís mouth, to the Amazon battle, to the battle under the red sky.

And having the Atlanteans create water bubbles whenever they want to speak? Oh dear

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was considering going to the theatre to see it and checked the show times for a possible matinee viewing. The offers, fitting my schedule, are either IMAX or 3D, which I avoid. Guess I wait for streaming.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Cyborg's head/face moved inside his headpiece so much it looked like he was vibrating....

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

At this point I wouldn't mind a film version of FLASHPOINT that "reboots" the DCEU 
--

Reboots are unnecessary. Always! Just make another movie with a fresh story. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

A reboot will be necessary if the current DCEU reminds too many people of the negative aspects of the films and characters and hurts their bottom line. Imagine if WB continued the Batman franchise as is after BATMAN & ROBIN??

-C!

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I finally saw this yesterday (we were the only 2 people in the theater). I went in with expectations of a complete disaster and found myself surprised by how much actually works in the film. Yes, the Flash and Aquaman are way off base and the villain a complete cliche, but I enjoyed Dark Knight Returns Batman and Wonder Woman's portrayal as a key player (stop with the stupid god blast thing though). Even Superman, the major turn off that kept me from seeing BVS, was represented well here. Had the climatic battle actually been climatic, they would have received a solid C+ score. But the fizzling out earns it a rightful D.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Jaren, you may be more right than even you
realize. There is an interesting article
over at The Wrap, that leads me to believe
that not only did internal squabbling by
WB execs hurt the film, but suggests that
they didn't push the release date so they
could possibly make bonuses this year
instead of next year. The fear is that
with the at&t merger looming, they may not
be around to get the bonus, so push it
into theaters this year. I'll link the
article below...

Link

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Apparently this movie which, in essence, is about Darkseid as The Big Bad, not only doesn't have Darkseid, but Darkseid isn't even mentioned by name.

DCEU: Dimwitted, Cretinous Extended Universe. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Not true Adam. Darksied is mentioned once.
However, you don't know why as no context
is ever given.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2017 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Maybe we'll get lucky and Warners will abandon Darkseid in the DCEU is a dead end. If the characters can avoid any more immediate taint and strip-mining, the door may be open for someone with version to produce an epic Fourth World series on the scale of the Harry Potter films.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Darkseid was abandoned over a year ago after the release of BvS, along with plans for DeSaad to appear in the first of two films. 

JUSTICE LEAGUE is a hot, hot mess. It was ill-conceived to begin with, and wasn't re-worked effectively enough to justify a 2017 release between heavy-hitters like MARVEL TEAM-UP: THOR & HULK and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK AGAIN. 

And yet, I still really enjoyed it and have seen it twice. It can't shed all of the baggage carried over from its awful predecessors, but does so enough that it actually feels like you're watching, y'know--superheroes.

It's not the JL film I once hoped for--or the film that WB needed--but flaws and all, it's an enjoyable two hours. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Doug - I like your renaming. In fact, I think Marvel should start to call all it's films Marvel Team Up.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

So, what's to be done to turn the DCEU into something that isn't awful?

I assume the second WONDER WOMAN film will be at least good. What's after that?

It might be possible to salvage Superman (and the next film should be called just SUPERMAN, not MAN OF STEEL 2), but that would at least require re-casting, and I don't know if that's doable because of contracts and such. Amy Adams is NOT Lois Lane. Lawrence Fishburne is NOT Perry White. (By all means introduce Ron Troupe, and ACTUAL black character at the Daily Planet.) 

And boy oh boy Jesse Eisenberg is NOT Lex Luthor. 

Just ignore the two previous Zack Synder "Superman" films and move on -- OK, Lois can be in on Clark's secret, that's fine, Pa Kent can still be dead, whatever. But no references to past movies.

And for lord's sake get a belt on the Superman suit. And a yellow "S" on the cape. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

What can be done, Adam? Well, in the aftermath of Justice League's disappointing box office run....

WB announced plans to restructure the DC Films Division...

Producer Jon Berg, who last year was appointed alongside DC Entertainmentís Geoff Johns to supervise the slate of films based on DC Comics properties, will step aside. Johns is expected to remain as DCís chief creative officer. No immediate plans for Zack Snyder to direct another DC movie - though he will remain on as executive producer for Aquaman and the Wonder Woman sequel.

-C!

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

(2006) WB releases Zack Snyder's WATCHMEN, which is really, really dark

(2006) WB Publication ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY releases Zack Snyder Interview: Everybody says Chris Nolan's BATMAN BEGINS is really dark because he showed Batman in prison, but my Batman movie would be really, really dark, because I'd have him getting raped in prison

(2010) Zack Snyder signs on to direct Superman film produced by Chris Nolan, the man who hid Batman in an attic for eight years after one year of action in order to maintain a lie which causes the city to get overrun by terrorists for months before they detonate a nuclear weapon stored in the city by Batman, who comes out of the attic for two weeks, gets his back broken and then retires permanently, leaving all his Bat-shit to a young cop with no superhero training or instruction and the city significantly worse off than before Batman ever showed up

(2011) WB release Zack Snyder's SUCKER PUNCH, which is Alice in Wonderland, only really, really dark

(2013) WB releases Zack Snyder's MAN OF STEEL: Pa Kent tells teen Clark he should have let people die instead of saving them. Pa Kent orders adult Clark to let Pa Kent die. Metropolis obliterated while Superman makes out with Lois, whom he just met, in the debris-strewn streets. Superman snaps villain's neck, then throws a spy satellite at a U.S. General.

(2016) WB releases Zack Snyder's BATMAN vs SUPERMAN: Bitter, jaded Batman bat-brands sex offenders and keeps costume of dead partner in a display case. Superman leaves the site of a mass murder and tells Lois he doesn't care if people think he's responsible. Superman interrupts pursuit of criminals to tell Batman to retire and not Bat-brand anyone else, letting group of armed, organized criminals go free. Ma Kent advises Superman to tell the world to fuck off. Superman leaves the site of another mass murder without assisting anyone and goes into self-imposed exile. Ghost of Pa Kent reminds Superman not to save anybody. Wonder Woman flat out states she sat in hiding during WWII and other tough times. Wonder Woman sees Metropolis in trouble and gets on a plane anyway. Superman stabbed to death. Batman honors Superman's life by threatening to Bat-brand unarmed, restrained prisoner who is not a sex offender. Jar of piss used as plot device. 

(2017) WB Execs react to Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE: "Wow, this is really dark"

Edited by Doug Jones on 08 December 2017 at 1:11am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version