Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JUSTICE LEAGUE ~ SPOILERS start pg 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ouch.  Any way you cut it, this is already turning out to be a colossal financial disappointment for WB/DC.  After four other DC movies, and this one featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash and Cyborg, JUSTICE LEAGUE is opening with about $96 million.

By comparison, the first IRON MAN (and the very first experiment from Marvel Studios) opened almost 10 years ago with a $98 million weekend.

Nevermind a course correction... the DC movies might be starting all over from scratch after this (or at least after AQUAMAN is completed).

Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Lots of action. 
Liked any Wonder Woman scene. 
Not sure who that Aquaman was but it wasn't Arthur and he was insignificant .Spiderm, er,  Flash was fun but no Barry. 
I thought the Parademons looked pretty cool. 
All in all I give it a C+ .Most of that comes from Gadot. 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My usual question but is it suitable for my nine- and eleven-year old sons (specifically, is there enough excitement and it is age-appropriate when it comes to sex, violence and language)?  

And, an addendum, we've only seen Wonder Woman but haven't-bothered with the other DC films. Is this standalone (assuming we knew that Superman is dead)?

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

No sex at all. Lot of scary bug people getting destroyed and some buildings get broken, but not too horrible on violence. Some a-words and maybe an s-word or two?

Reasonably standalone, IMO, in that the stuff you're most likely to find confusing hasn't been introduced in any of the other movies yet, anyway.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Shaun Barry wrote:
...The DC movies might be starting all over from scratch after thi...

Well, not all of them, in any event. WONDER WOMAN performed great and was so well-received that I doubt DC would start over there.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So, just saw it...

Just couldn't buy into the "Hope is Lost now that Superman's gone" bit, given how the character was portrayed in MoS and BvS. And the "Do you bleed?" moment when he comes back doesn't help. That said, after we get past the resurrection blues, Superman finally starts acting like Superman. He smiles once in awhile, shows concern for civilians, etc.

Standard annoyance with the trend of super-hero movies avoiding the use of the super-hero names at all costs. If the screenwriters/directors/whoever think it "sounds funny" to use them, they need to get over it. If fans can handle "Maverick" and "Goose" in Top Gun, they can handle "Batman" and "Flash" in a Justice League movie. (Honestly can't think of the Flash and Cyborg names being used anywhere other than the credits.)

Mera, of all characters, got to have a badass moment, which was pleasantly surprising. (Speaking of characters not being called by name...)

I would have liked Aquaman and Barry Allen a lot more if I knew nothing about Aquaman and Barry Allen. But since I do, I was stuck wondering who these people were supposed to be.

Wonder Woman and Cyborg were handled pretty well. Batman was okay, but I still have a little trouble with him being 20 years into the gig.

Steppenwolf was forgettable, but not offensive. The parademons were kind of neat. I'm surprised we didn't get so much of a glimpse of Darkseid.

End credit sequences were decent enough. At least when you-know-who unmasked, he looked right.

Given how the current box office is "below expectations," I wonder if any of this will ever go anywhere.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I thought Steppenwolf was offensive in a sense. The character played a crucial role in a single, awesome, story that happened to be Kirby's personal favorite among his own work. Even though Kirby's Fourth World stories alone have enough material for a Lord of the Rings scale series, the characters are being thoughtlessly squandered in movies that realize nothing from Kirby's actual comics and whose failure has probably poisoned the well for well-intentioned artists who could give the material the treatment they deserve. Ah well, it's probably for the best.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Liked it. Didn't love it. Hated MoS and BvS, so liking is a big turnaround. Lighter tone, some humor. Superman eventually acting like Superman. And hearing bits of Elfman's BATMAN theme was a treat. I guess that's a no-brainer...if Elfman is scoring your film that has Batman in it. But then they broke out some Williams Superman stuff. Nice.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

They say Superman's face looks unnatural, a consequence of them having to use GCI to erase Henry Cavill's moustache. I don't know why, but that's the deal breaker for me. I won't be seeing this. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think it would have been cheaper and more realistic to
shave Cavill and use a fake moustache,but why use the
simple and effective option when you have millions of
Dollars at your disposal?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think it would have been cheaper and more realistic to  shave Cavill and use a fake moustache,but why use the  simple and effective option when you have millions of  Dollars at your disposal?

——

I’m sure that would have been the solution that WB preferred, but it wasn’t up to them, it was up to Paramount. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yep, Paramount was being a bitch to Warners, basically, and refused to let Cavill shave since he was still making a movie for their studio. Nothing Warners or even Cavill could do about it without risking a lawsuit that would cost more than adding a mustache with CGI.

On another note...

I forgot to ask before: Did anyone here spot Marc McClure (Jimmy Olsen form "Superman: The Movie") in "Justice League"? I thought it was nice he got a cameo.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I saw Thor Ragnarok and Justice League again this weekend. While Justice League isn't as good as a Marvel movie, it's not as bad as some say. I enjoyed it even more the second time around and see positives in Wonder Woman, naturally, Superman, even Affleck's Batman.

While earlier I commented how the weak parts are certainly Aquaman and that Flash, while fun, isn't Barry Allen we know, I've come to terms a bit with the Aquaman portrayed in the film.

As you know, Aquaman has long been a character mocked by the non comic book world for being absurd. He was lampooned (harpooned?) in Entourage, etc. If you did the blonde, orange shirt wearing, fish talking Aquaman we all love (Jim Aparo!!), it'd be comical. I guess they could have used the character for laughs as they did here with Flash but then that falls squarely into the mocking the hero territory we discuss and have a problem with.

Aquaman in his Game of Thrones bro, weird eyebrows, filthy looking, hardly in the water, leaping through the air, no communication with fish stuff didn't impress but I guess they felt there was no other way to go. I'd have suggested opting for Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, etc., etc. instead if they felt this way. I doubt Batman would seek out this mysterious water hero for his team to fend off the apocalypse.

Anyway, that's it. For those railing on the movie, I think you're spoiled. You have a right to your opinion but it's "Siskel-like" to bash the movie that has good things going for it. I sometimes wonder how comic fans can be so critical. I firmly recall getting my superhero fix from the horrible 70s Spider-Man live action series that was very un-Spider-Man and even the Greatest American Hero and Six Million Dollar Man. We live in an incredible age where things we never envisioned seeing on screen, even second tier characters, being presented on the big and small screens. 

If you can't get a little joy out of seeing Wonder Woman, Superman and even Affleck's Batman (somehow more uplifting and fun than Bale's), maybe it's time to find a new hobby. ;)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

For those railing on the movie, I think you're spoiled. You have a right to your opinion but it's "Siskel-like" to bash the movie that has good things going for it. I sometimes wonder how comic fans can be so critical.

——

It has nothing to do with being a comic fan. The film is a disjointed mess that manages to be fun despite that, but it’s still a disjointed mess. 

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

mocked by the non comic book world

Been mocked by those IN the comic book world as well, sadly.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Saw it yesterday - Have to say I liked it a lot. Wonder Woman is still the
gold standard for DC movies (and the scenes in Themyscira standout
here!) but I’d place this film an easy second. Leaps and bounds above
BvS, Man of steel, it manages to ditch the relentless drab and dreary,
with the trademark Joss Whedon quips (as obvious as they were)
proving that the DC movies really need someone with a lighter touch in
control.

Considering the history behind the scenes, I didn’t find it a disjointed
mess - I found Avengers 2 or Spider-man 3 much scrappier - just that
characters didn’t really have much to do.

My knowledge of Aquaman ends with a blonde guy in green leggings,
so the huge hairy caveman was new to me. I found him likeable and
entertaining though, no idea how off model he is.

Really liked The Flash, though again... is that an entirely made up
version or is that how he is in comics these days?

And Cyborg... just felt a bit, meh. To me.

As with all DC movies, the villain was totally forgettable... really thought
we’d see Darkseid (at least post credits)

This aside, the movie flew by and did not commit the greatest cinema
crime of being boring !

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

No sex at all. Lot of scary bug people getting destroyed and some buildings get broken, but not too horrible on violence. Some a-words and maybe an s-word or two?

Reasonably standalone, IMO, in that the stuff you're most likely to find confusing hasn't been introduced in any of the other movies yet, anyway.

Thanks, Dave, think I might take them then :) 

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The Justice League Flash was a huge
departure from the classic Barry Allen
Flash, but it was pretty consistent with
the TV show version of Barry Allen. (Young
guy, a novice, has Barry Allen's job but
Wally West's age and maturity, and both
costumes being off-model from the comics)

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

That's just patently untrue. Flash as depicted in "JL" is nothing at all like the CW's version. The only thing they have in common is being speedsters who wear predominantly red costumes with yellow accents. Beyond that, bupkis. 

Edited by Glenn Brown on 21 November 2017 at 9:23am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I'm with Glenn. The TV and movie versions of Barry are nothing alike.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

So the TV show and movie Flashes don't
have off-model costumes, a younger and
more inexperienced than the classic
comicbook Barry Allen? Seems pretty nuch
the same except movie Flash made more
jokes.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

So the TV show and movie Flashes don't  have off-model costumes, a younger and  more inexperienced than the classic  comicbook Barry Allen? Seems pretty nuch  the same except movie Flash made more  jokes.

——

They’re also both male and both white. They both are American! They both aren’t obese. So they must be exactly the same!

Except they’re not. 

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Except I didn't say "exactly the same" I
said pretty consistent with each other and
pretty much the same after pointing out
the relevant character traits.

A young, off-model Barry Allen that is an
amalgamation of Barry and Wally, combined
with an off-model Flash costume, and
neither Barry is the seasoned superhero of
the comics. Pretty similar theme.

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 21 November 2017 at 7:59pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2017 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

A young, off-model Barry Allen that is an 
amalgamation of Barry and Wally, combined 
with an off-model Flash costume, and 
neither Barry is the seasoned superhero of 
the comics. Pretty similar theme. 

----

Season One of THE FLASH and JUSTICE LEAGUE are origin stories. Of course, they are going to be younger and inexperienced. You may as well be complaining that a high-school aged Peter Parker in the movies is off-model to the seasoned adult Peter Parker of the comics. And since their costumes are off-model, JUSTICE LEAGUE Barry, CW Barry, and HOMECOMING Spider-Man are the same!

I'm not sure how TV Barry is an amalgamation of Barry and Wally. They borrowed Wally's metabolism and his science lab support staff, but so did the 90's Flash TV show. As far as personality traits go, he's nothing like Wally.

The CW Barry is an accomplished forensic scientist in his late 20s, generally optimistic, wants to use his powers to do the right thing, and as of season 3, /is/ treated as one of the seasoned superheroes, as he is spending both this season and the last mentoring people with recently acquired superpowers. His current costume minus a few visible seams is pretty on-model to the New 52-style costume, and if you remove all the piping and the collar, it's much closer to the classic costume.

Justice League Barry is a socially awkward spaz in his early 20s seeking companionship, was struggling toward a forensic degree even after he got his powers and until Bruce Wayne helped him out, possesses Wally's goofball humor, and was totally insecure about superheroing until he was pushed by Batman. His costume consists of space shuttle plating worn as armor.

Both characters have Geoff Johns' tragic background for Barry, but that's the comic book status quo now, so there you go.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I liked it. The audience tonight was very into it. They clapped when Superman came back and when he flew in to save the day. Brighter suit, saving civilians, trying to be heroes, and the reunion with Lois and Martha helped make this an enjoyable movie for me. I didn't love Aquaman or Flash's characterization but didn't hate them to the point that it ruined anything. And the familiar theme songs made me happy.

Matt,
Thank you! It was killing me that I couldn't figure out why the guy at the prison looked familiar to me!

Edited by Shawn Kane on 22 November 2017 at 8:50pm

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version