Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JUSTICE LEAGUE ~ SPOILERS start pg 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Reviews so far are all over the place.  

And most legit movie critics seem to be "so-so" about it.

The most telling comment: "It seems like 5 different movies crammed into one."

A Justice League movie should be a EVENT.  But due to DC/WB's mishandling of their movies and planning (and Marvel making hit movies effortlessly these days)....JL seems more like an attempt to fix past mistakes......and catch up to the leader.  

My prediction: Thor Ragnarok will best JL in final box office numbers.  

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Reviews are about what I was expecting.  Maybe I can somehow avoid taking my son to see this one.  If not... I'll try to grin and bear it!

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 1:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The movie hasn't even officially opened and the fanboys are raging about the less-than-stellar reviews. If thought and consideration were possible with these folks, they would realize that the mediocre to downright awful "DCEU/DCFU" attempts at universe-building have less to do with biased movie reviewers or deep Disney pockets and everything to do with greed and ineptitude. 

Apparently, an hour or two of footage was lopped-off from the finished movie, and the film suffers for it. I was going to see this at the (discount) matinee on Tuesday, but I think I will wait for the inevitable Extended Edition Blu, instead.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 2:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Anybody wanna lay odds on the Cyborg movie actually being made?

Iím not holding my breath.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

40% on Rotten Tomatoes, 48 on Metacritic.

Man of Steel type numbers so far.

- edited because Rotten Tomatoes finally posted their score -

Edited by Robert Bradley on 16 November 2017 at 11:34am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That's, what...twice as good as Batman/Superman???
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Batman v. Superman - 27% on Rotten Tomatoes, 40 on Metacritic

So slightly higher.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Saw it tonight. I enjoyed it,  though it isn't a great film. Second best DC film next to Wonder Woman since THE DARK KNIGHT,  though that isn't saying much, I'm aware. Still, it's harmless enough (unlike the trash MAN OF STEEL, which I loathe), and it is actually FUN in parts. Definitely stay all the way through the credits at the end.

SPOILERS BELOW

Best Superman portrayal on the big screen since Christopher Reeve. Henry Cavill was allowed to smile, and finally feels like the character.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just added a...

SPOILER WARNING

to the subject heading.  No need for inviso-text from here on out.  Ye who read past this post have been warned!!!!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As someone who has still proudly never seen BATMAN VS SUPERMAN, I was planning not to see this movie. But I loved Gal Gadot in WONDER WOMAN, so I figured I'd watch this for her parts.

I'll echo Matt H in that I enjoyed it a lot, but it's not a very good film. It's a bit of a mess. I think the biggest problem is that it feels like WB is trying to play catch up to Marvel and crammed at least five movies into one film, servicing none of them well. It was the New 52 Justice League Origin (which was also New 52 Cyborg's origin) plus The Death and Return of Superman plus introductions for Flash and Aquaman plus epilogues for BvS and WONDER WOMAN.

The Good:

- Everything with Wonder Woman
- Cyborg
- Superman being portrayed as he should have been in MAN OF STEEL
- Ezra Miller was entertaining

The Bad:

- Whoever Ezra Miller was portraying, it wasn't Barry Allen. It was more the weird love child of Impulse, Kyle Rayner, and Tom Holland's Peter Parker.
- Aquaman was a surfer bro who seemed to be involved because he had nothing better to do and the plot required him to be there.
- The last act plays more like a video game cutscene.

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just got out of the theater. Definitely a crowd pleaseing, popcorn flick. Like The Force Awakens, it's really in a hurry to get some place. At 2 hours, the movie moves at a brisk pace. The theater I sat in had fun and the audience laughed several times. If you're a Superman fan, you won't be disappointed.

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm a rare bird, like Roger Ebert - I love movies and don't like to not like the ones I see. I used to always marvel at how Ebert would find something good in the movies he discussed, while his partner Siskel (I'm old), always complained. I think Siskel would have fit in perfect in our miserable Internet age.

I went into Justice League with low expectations. Like most of us, I am a fan of the Marvel movies and Netflix shows but save for Wonder Woman, generally don't enjoy much of the DC movies. Clearly they have Dark Knight-itis and for some odd reason cater to the ugly in life, whereas Marvel tries to let moviegoers have fun.

The Justice League trailers did nothing for me and I felt myself wondering why they had to kill Superman only to pretend he was dead and wouldn't be part of the Justice League. Why intentionally limit your marketing capabilities? Wouldn't Superman standing beside Wonder Woman (and to a lesser extent Batman and the rest) make for a great poster? And more entertaining trailers? Clearly DC is shooting itself in the foot, for whatever reason.

As the reviews came out, some very bad, I wasn't at all surprised. They were going to get my money no matter what they put on the screen for 2 reasons - my lifelong love of comics and Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman. So seeing the movie today, I assumed I'd get some wonderful Wonder Woman butt kicking and her occasional jaw dropping smile and it would be money well spent. Well, I got that - and a bit more.

If you go into the movie with reasonable or even low expectations, the movie will surprise you - a little. It's not great. It's not Wonder Woman. It's not Marvel but it has moments. Sure, it takes a bit to get going. Sure Aquaman is a Rob Zombie-like bro who rarely is in the water. Sure Flash isn't really Barry Allen that we all know but...

Henry Cavill is doing his best to muster up Superman and I'd say in this movie and his last one, he's pretty good. His return is inspiring and he definitely portrays power as well as goodness. What? Light? Goodness? Superman? Well, at least to me he did. I'd like to see he and Wonder Woman on the screen more. Two gods.

I'm not an Affleck Batman fan but he was pretty good here. The kid who plays Flash is a very good actor and likable. Again, not really Barry Allen but it works. I'm old, again, so Cyborg is a Teen Titan to me but he came across well. Aquaman was the only one I had a problem with really, not any Arthur Curry I grew up with and please, some Aquaman stuff? Water? Fish?

They (spoilers already announced) hint at the Green Lanterns so I'd like to see some more of the faces they show in the DC pre film credit sequence. Add Hal Jordan, add Hawkman, add the Martian Manhunter, add the Atom. 

I think if you want to enjoy yourself, you'll find stuff to enjoy. If you want to Siskel it and be unhappy, you'll point to the CGI, etc. and make yourself miserable. I suggest getting away from the problems of our world - the Trump nightmare, the gropers and accusations, etc. and just go with it. You may just be surprised.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Saw it today. Pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it, which is a lot!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Just returned from the new "Justice League." 

It was truly one of the least enjoyable, most tedious and disappointing moviegoing experiences I've ever had. Ever.

I'm not a critic, troll nor child. I knew going in that I wasn't going to get the comic book film equivalent of a classic. I merely hoped to be entertained and distracted for a couple of hours. 

Put it like this: this film made me miss Zack Snyder. What they did to this film bordered on criminal. They gutted it of whatever integrity it may have had. 

Look. Like it, love it or hate it Snyder has a vision. He buys into it and crafts a well-made film, however much he may miss the mark thematically. This film shows its seams where Zack's vision ended and Whedon's, or whomever's work replaced it. Numerous witty quips, forced banter and a general tone of confusion reigns throughout. And guess what..? The majority of the audience could not have cared less. They laughed uproariously throughout and applauded at several points, usually when several characters stood in line at attention before heading into yet another confusing, ill-explained battle. For those fans and viewers, this movie was made for them. 

By far, the most compelling character was Ray Fisher's Cyborg. Ben Affleck looks utterly miserable. Jason Mamoa's Aquaman is unrecognizable. Gal Gadot is game but cannot save the show. And the less said about Ezra Miller's Flash, the better...although I will give DC props for their brave choice in depicting the character as the first hero with special needs. And the big bad Steppenwolf looked like a recycled infected nightstalker from Will Smith's "I Am Legend."  

As Henry Cavill is second-billed, it's not a spoiler to post that his Superman returns in "JL." The manner in which he returns, however...whoever approved this choice should be summarily fired and never allowed near another superhero film ever again.

"Justice League's" greatest sin..? It bored and insulted my intelligence as a viewer, something I never expected.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Saw it and really enjoyed it. Thought
could have used 5 more minutes. It really
needed a better exposition scene
explaining the New Gods and Steppenwolf.
Having his motivations clear would have
made him a better villain. If you drop in
the scene from Superman:TAS' Apokolips Now
Part 1 it would make everything better.

Edited by Stephen Churay on 18 November 2017 at 9:19am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I saw this yesterday for free (I worked for DC All Access for the last four months, so we saw this as a company outing). Going in with extremely, perhaps criminally low expectations, I found myself enjoying bits and pieces of the film. As a whole, however, it's a disjointed mess. One of my biggest problems with it is the villain. He's just awful. Instead of being compelling, he's an ill-conceived character with little to no motivation except to destroy everything. I hated the five minute exposition setting up the Mother Boxes. In short, pretty much anything to do with Steppenwolf was atrocious.

I also wasnít a big fan of the characterization of The Flash.  That ainít no Barry Allen I know.  The actor was good in a Spider-Man kinda way, but his humor did tend to grate on me after a time.  Cyborg was criminally underdeveloped as was Aquaman.  Speaking of him, I thought that was the worst choice ever to play him as a surfer bro.  Perhaps his solo movie will define his character for us, but as a first introduction it was jarring to say the least.

Finally, there was SO much to address in this film (new character intros, Supermanís death and resurrection, getting the team together, defining the threat, Paradise Island, WWís reconciling Steve Trevorís death, etc.) that it had the feeling of vignettes held together with chickenwire.  It barely holds together as a compelling film let alone one that I would revisit as much as I have the Marvel films.

Considering that my expectations were low, I had a pleasant two hours but itís ephemeral and fleeting.  Itís not a movie thatís going to stick with me nor does it leave me with any sort of excitement about the extended DC UniverseÖnot a good thing considering this is a tentpole film meant to jumpstart (yet again) a franchise of live actions films. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I hated the five minute exposition setting up the Mother Boxes.

óó-

I liked it better in THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. They didnít need to rehash how Sauron lost the ring. 

I did like the appearance of a Green Lantern.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I'll concede that that was pretty cool.  Also liked the ring lifting off the finger of the fallen GL and flying away.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I love the Justice League, I hate the director ... what am I going to do ???

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I love the Justice League, I hate the director ... what am I going to do ???

----------------------------------

Which director, Whedon or Snyder?

Snyder stepped away in May to deal with a family tragedy and has said recently he hasn't seen the movie or been involved with it since principle photography wrapped.

Whedon did the reshoots and wrote new scenes. For comedy, banter, sexual tension.

Whedon edited the movie together. Cutting about 40 minutes of footage. Willem Dafoe's Vulko (Atlantean Vizer), Kirsey Clemons' Iris West and scenes with Superman with Lois and Superman with Alfred were among those things cut.

It was Whedon who had Junkie XL fired and replaced him with Danny Elfman. Danny Elfman who had previously worked with Whedon on Age of Ultron.

One watch can't hurt. You may enjoy it.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I freakin' loved it.  Period.  I definitely want to see it again in the theater.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Loved this movie!
It had a happy, positive Superman, smiling
laughing, and pointing out that he stands
for truth and justice.

The two credits scenes were better than
any mid and post credit scenes Marvel has
done since their phase one era.
Not a perfect movie but a fun, upbeat
popcorn blockbuster.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Marc M. Woolman wrote:
The two credits scenes were better than  
any mid and post credit scenes Marvel has 
done since their phase one era.

YMMV on that one.  I thought the first was just OK.  It was a neat fan service nod to who's the fastest...but we didn't get to see the end of the race. The second?  With the awful Luthor?  Better than any other Marvel end credit scene in six years?  Nah.  

As far as a "blockbuster"?  Nope.  Link  It's going to open to much less than both BvS and SUICIDE SQUAD.  It will open with nearly $30 mil less than THOR: RAGNAROK. It's Cinemascore doesn't bode well for repeat business as well.  Listen, JL is going to make money but it's already considered a disappointment, coming in under even the modest studio estimates. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Kevin Brown wrote:
I freakin' loved it.  Period.

What did you love about it? Period?  I need more to gage the reaction 'cause I, for one, didn't "love" this movie.  

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Well, I don't know why, but I feel forced to start by saying something negative about this film. I think Casablanca or Citizen Kane are better films.
That said, this film is great fun. They finally got Superman right, and that gives me a lot of hope for MoS2.
Batman is visually great and Wonder Woman is the superhero we all enjoyed in her previous films.
It is true that Barry isn't the Barry we know, but he is very young, so he still may grow in this cinematic universe. The moment when he rushes towards Superman and he turns his head is really great.
I'm not that familiar with Cyborg and specially Aquaman, but I enjoyed the film characters a lot.
The frenetic action sequences (and there are a lot) are thrilling, the humour is nice and I like the sutile nods in the soundtrack.
My main complaint is that the film felt a little  short, I wanted more.
I really hope the critics don't bash this film. It would be "damned if I do, damned if I don't".

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version