Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Why no Phoenix in the X-men Intro Copy or Character Box? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

JB:

On the color guide from the splash of Uncanny X-men #116 (and presumably the original art)...it's missing the typical 'intro copy' (standard blurb on top of the opening splash) and instead has a comment "Roger: Please have intro copy re-set to include Phoenix & re-do the cover character box to include her as well!!"  I assume that's a comment to Roger Stern (the editor).

Questions:
1.  Was this Jim Shooter writing this comment?  Or was it maybe Chris Claremont?
2.  Why was Phoenix never added, especially after that direction in the comment?
3.  When you ultimately redid the character box that first appeared on #123, you switched around Wolverine and Banshee...any particular reason for that?
4.  Unrelated question...was there any particular reason you can recall why Terry Austin did the cover to #123?

Thanks!

-Will

Edited by Will Grief on 21 March 2017 at 1:33am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

I got nothin'!

Will Grief
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2017 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Aww...oh well.
Thank you for the quick response!

Does anyone happen to have contact info for any of the other players who might have an answer?  Thanks!

-Will

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2017 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 4  

answer or no answer, it is super cool to see those color guides and notes!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 March 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 5  

answer or no answer, it is super cool to see those color guides and notes!

••

Ah, those happy, halcyon days of yore, when a peek behind the scenes really showed something interesting! Primitive by today's standards, yes, but there were layers to the work that have disappeared over the years, especially since computers took over such a large part of the process!

(Humph! I just Googled in search of any images of those "rows of housewives" who did the separations for World Color, and found nothing.)

Will Grief
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 6  

Update:
 I sent emails to Chris Claremont and Jim Shooter and got these replies:

Chris Claremont:
"Chris here, Will -- yes, that is my hand-writing on the Page 1 border, regarding ading Phoenix to the character scrawl. As for why she never made it up there, at least as far as I can recall, there was ongoing discussion between me and John and the editor (s, because it actually involved 3 different people over time) about it. Roger (and John) weren't thrilled and I actually can't remember precisely how Jim felt. And of course, given how the Jean / Dark Phoenix arc ended, the entire subject became moot as of X-Men #137. Hope this helps. Best, csc!"

Jim Shooter:
"Dear Will,

John Byrne wrote that note on the original art, which is why it appears on the color guide shot from the art.  It's his lettering, no doubt.

I don't remember why his suggestion wasn't followed.  Maybe Chris Claremont would remember.  Or Roger Stern.

Be well,

Jim Shooter "

Anyone have Roger Stern's email / contact info?  

BTW...JB...I think it's wonderful and I am thankful that you and other comic greats from back in the day are so easily accessible and willing to provide input to an old fan's obscure question!  Thanks again!

-Will

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 7  

Shooter's memory is as reliable as ever, l see.

[Sarcasm off]

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

"It's his lettering, no doubt."

I think it's funny that someone will swear their memory is flawless, even the small details, after 38 years.

I know MY memory isn't that good. I'm 51 this year and I've caught myself remembering small details flat out reversed a couple times recently. 

I used to have a very good memory, but I've forgotten when that was.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 9  

BTW...JB...I think it's wonderful and I am thankful that you and other comic greats from back in the day are so easily accessible and willing to provide input to an old fan's obscure question! Thanks again!

••

You're welcome!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 10  

JB wrote:
I just Googled in search of any images of those "rows of housewives" who did the separations for World Color, and found nothing.

My design career started up in the late 90's, which is when those places were finally shuttering.  When I was taking classes in Adobe & Quark, there was a fellow student who I'm going to say was in her late 50's (at the inside) who had been let go from some paste-up sweatshop and was now trying to train herself in new much needed job skills - and it still gives me anxiety to think about how far behind she was.  Even the basic act of using a mouse (click once, double-click, click and hold) that I had learned in my mid-teens was completely alien to her, and she kept falling further and further behind.  Her despair was a palpable thing.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 31 March 2017 at 10:11am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version