Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: DC Universe by John Byrne Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That first JB issue of Fantastic Four was inked by that scoundrel Bjorn Heyn! What a hack! ;)

••

And he never worked again!!

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That first JB issue of Fantastic Four was inked by that scoundrel Bjorn Heyn! What a hack! ;)
••

And he never worked again!!

LMAO!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It sounds like the content changes were made to minimize the overlap with other recent and forthcoming collections, which is a good thing. I remember when the Michael Golden-illustrated Batman Special "The Player on the Other Side" turned up in two or three different Batman collections that I bought within a year of each other, and that was right around the time that the Superman: Man of Steel tpbs featuring JB's run on those titles opted not to include "Metropolis 900 Mi." because it was slotted into a Superman vs. Lex Luthor tpb coming out around the same time.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Finally got to the Batman, uh, 2D story last night and I take back everything I said about the paper. Black and white looked amazing on it. I almost wish the whole book was in B&W now. I forgot how much I loved that story.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm with you Jim. For some reason the B&W looks better on slick paper. Probably because the contrast is greater..
I don't mind seeing the covers on the slick since that's how they were meant to be seen anyway. But if I had my druthers I would like the color pages on the paper used in the MAN OF STEEL TPB'S.

Doesn't matter it's loads of fun anyway...never read that Atom issue before.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That Atom story was done practically over night as a favor. Barest of bare bones breakdowns.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Didn't know you'd done an issue of Power of the Atom (#6) until just now. That's one I need to track down for my Byrne collection.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

John Byrne: Remember, my old stuff was better, and a reprint is, by definition, "old stuff". Matters not that everything in this volume is from deep into the time when my new work was being dismissed. That this "old stuff" was, in its day, crappy new stuff.

It's all excellent artwork, some work just better than others. My particular favorite was the original Fantastic Four run. I thought your writer/artist combination was exceptional. But I would never insist that others think the same way. I think part of the problem is when these fans insist their favorite run was the best run and nothing else compares to it. Then they start to disparage the other artworks.   

Edited by Dale Lerette on 23 December 2017 at 12:14pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bad for me, good for JB in the long run; My LCS sold out of theirs and has had to reorder, so I'll get mine after Christmas.
Merry Festivus everyone!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I just got my copy. - I got it from Amazon and had it delivered to my family’s house along with a copy of JB’s Wonder Woman hardcover collection.  They came together in a Box o’ Byrne!  The Wonder Woman book is a gift for my niece, but the DC Universe book is mine, mine, ALL MINE - which is my way of getting into the proper holiday spirit by indulging in greed and material gain.

I flipped Through it and landed right on one of my favorite stories that I didn’t even realize was in the book - I didn’t connect that “Superman Annual #6” is “Legacy”, the excellent Elseworlds story that has Gar-El landing on Earth during thye Revolutionary War and changing the Superman story as we know it.  This one is amazing - fantastic to see it reprinted.  One of my all time favorite comics.

I’m excited to read the NEW TEEN TITANS material - Perez’s work on that title is the only DC title I read regularly as a kid, so I am thrilled to see these characters by JB.

Thanks all for the heads-up on the change in line-up - I’m so ignorant to the DC Universe that I probably would not have noticed the change.  I will amend the list on this thread and the “New, Recent, and Classic” thread.

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Received my copy this week and was just flipping through it. Batman in B&W on this paper is excellent! The one ommission is that splash page of Batman & Robin from a Batman anniversary issue with multiple creators in the 80s. As always, I enjoy JB's line, and this volume doesn't disappoint.

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For the record, I want to see more new Byrne Batman in black and white. I was looking at the Batman 3D again today. It's so cool! I think I would also enjoy new Byrne Spider-Man in black and white.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version