Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Infamous Iron Man vs "the Maker" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 1  

Haven't picked up a Marvel book in ages, but it's distressing to see them making so many of the same mistakes that made DC books unreadable.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 2  

"It's my book so I get to do what I want!" How does an editor let this get past?

I could see Doom masquerading as Iron Man for a scheme, but I could see it FAR more likely that he would simply create a Doombot in Iron Man armor.

Doom could try to do good deeds, but in the end, he's a villain, a dictator.  ANYTHING he does is to further his own ends. (Gee, that sounds familiar...)

As for Reed Richards... sure, if it's an alternate universe version, he could be evil. There was a What If where Reed was in a Russian Fantastic Four and not such a good guy.

But it seems extremely more likely that Reed would be amoral, not evil - so focused on his research and work that, without someone (times three) to ground him, he could lose sight of the consequences of his work.

But this story... this is garbage. This is sensationalism trying to draw readers by a bold and outrageous event. And it has to be surpassed for readers to stay interested.

I miss the days when comics had good stories that didn't rely on constant gimmicks. Of course, there is no way to put those monkeys back in the barrel...

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 3  

My question to the forum is if you don't read the books anymore as it is, why do you care so much what they do with them? It doesn't affect you in any way if you aren't following them so why complain about it?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 4  

This is like saying that since you moved out of your childhood home years ago and never see it anymore and it no longer belongs to you, why do you care if it gets bulldozed?

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 5  

Here's the thing that is the worst about "Dr. Doom is Iron Man now": it was already done with "Doc Ock is Spider-Man now" just 4 years ago.

Remember when Marvel was the House of Ideas?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 6  

Christopher Frost,think of it like this...i like a
certain brand of chocolate,they change the recipe,so i
don`t buy it anymore,but it doesn`t stop me yearning for
the original recipe!
I have stated before,my friend passes Marvel Previews on
to me once he`s read it,for a number of years virtually
nothing appeals to me,wether it be characters so far off
model that i don`t want to read about them,boring
`events` or art that is not to my taste.
It seems to me to be business suicide for Marvel movies
to be taking in billions,yet the comics feature none of
the movie characters!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 7  

Every once in a while they gotta change hands with which they beat the dead horse.  They'd get tired otherwise.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 8  

I pick up more books lately than I have in well over a decade.  The Infamous Iron Man stuff out now is pretty fun.  I never would have imagined it as a good idea, but I'm glad I gave it a shot.  I think it will be a good time till whatever the next thing is.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 9  

"This is like saying that since you moved out of your childhood home years ago and never see it anymore and it no longer belongs to you, why do you care if it gets bulldozed? "

That's exactly the point. If you have nothing to do with it anymore beyond having some fond memories of how it used to be, then what difference does it make what happens to it now? It annoys me when I see people complaining about something going on in current comics and they qualify their statements with some variation of "I haven't picked up or read it in years, but I'm outraged that they are doing this or that". It's akin to people complaining about movies they haven't seen, books they haven't read or food they haven't eaten. It comes across as just an excuse for people to complain about things instead of any actual discussion from those who are reading the books.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 10  

Which is a little like saying, "How would you know what it's like walking into an airplane propellor until you walk into one? I'm tired of people saying, 'Moving propellors are bad things," when they've never taken a walk through one before to see if they like it!"

"My Mother, The Car" is widely reputed to be one of the worst shows in television history. The premise is that our hero's mother dies and her spirit inhabits his treasured old jalopy, which then begins to nag at him about the women he sees and the life choices he makes. One can actually talk about the idea behind the show lacking a certain sensitivity or even any common sense at all. One can discuss its reputation and draw comparisons with other shows of the era, say for instance "Mr. Ed."

I don't have to watch "My Mother, The Car" to know that I wouldn't enjoy the time I would have to spend watching it to please you, Chris. After all, once I put myself through watching the first episode and maybe even the second, you would have to insist that I still couldn't speak to the show in general because I hadn't watched the entire series yet. Who knows? That last five minutes of the final show could turn everything around, couldn't it? 

It is perfectly acceptable to discuss such factors as premise, sales trends, commercial viability, tradition, aesthetic preferences, and the like without actually rewarding Marvel with money for making products we can in fact determine from a distance we would not enjoy.

But of course, if we're not going to reward Marvel with money, should we all just keep our mouths shut and not protest, right? Either support the powers that be and do not question them or just shut up. I hear that a lot these days.

There are lots of discussion forums out there filled with people who do buy the books and love the Riri and Vic show. This one is mostly populated with people who'd rather read about Tony or Rhodey and speak to those points. You're not going to enjoy the time you spend here. Oh, but then... How would you KNOW you're not going to enjoy the time you spend here until you spend it, right...?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

My question to the forum is if you don't read the books anymore as it is, why do you care so much what they do with them?
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------
I think the more appropriate question is: If you don't read these stories how do you know they are so horrible?

Changes in the status quo is not new to comics. The real difference is, as I see it, that the changes seem to last longer but they still return to the status quo. Steve Rogers will not remain an agent of Hydra because of the cosmic cube, Doom will return to his villainous ways, Jane foster will not remain Thor forever. Just as She-Hulk did not forever replace Ben  Grimm in the FF, Steve Rogers did not stay as Nomad or The Captain forever and Thor as a frog was temporary.

I understand not being drawn to today's Marvel of DC titles, I often feel like I am not their target audience and many of the characters have drifted away from "my" versions of them but that doesn't automatically make the stories or characters terrible. How many fans here are upset that Superman no longer throws slum lords out of windows and that Cap is not "slapping japs" any more?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 12  

At the end of the most recent Secret Wars, Reed used the Molecule Man's powers to restore Doom to the throne of Latveria and restore his face, then basically disappeared, leaving Doom without a lot of villainous motivation, so his anti-hero status is semi-explained in the books.

Outside of storylines though, you're not going to convince me that this:

Wasn't inspired by this:

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version