Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: ALIEN: COVENANT Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"... "Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome",....."

ahh... Taylor, Beneath The Planet of the Apes. Now I have a name for it..
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Many years ago I started thinking of (and referring to) Hollywood "casting with a pocket calculator." This was the "thinking" that led and still leads to people who are utterly inappropriate being cast in various roles. "Hey, Mannie, who's BIG right now?" Sometimes it works -- Robin Williams as Popeye -- and sometimes (more often) it doesn't -- Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

Point is, it is the bottom line that controls the thinking, and that kind of hard edged practicality is at the root of many cinematic sequel deaths. An actor declines to return, or asks for too much money, or (as with Newt) has outgrown the part. Many times what we then see at work is the utter contempt of the bean counters for the people AND the properties.

In the case of ALIENS3 (which should have been ALIENS2) the story came before any other considerations. "We want to tell THIS story, and we are going to shoehorn the ALIEN(S) franchise into it." ALIENS - RESURRECTION, for all its many, many flaws, at least seemed to take place in the same universe as ALIEN and ALIENS. I could not quite get that out of 3.

(Something similar happened with Riddick. PITCH BLACK is very much in the same sort of reality as ALIEN. But THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK has moved over into DUNE territory. Not at all the same thing.)

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In the case of ALIENS3 (which should have been ALIENS2) the story came before any other considerations. "We want to tell THIS story, and we are going to shoehorn the ALIEN(S) franchise into it." ALIENS - RESURRECTION, for all its many, many flaws, at least seemed to take place in the same universe as ALIEN and ALIENS. I could not quite get that out of 3.

For give my pedantry but it is actually ALIEN3and ALIEN: RESURRECTION (rather than ALIENS, on both counts), but I agree with the overall point.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As Reed said, RESURRECTION is watchable, and I've done so recently, but I just can't make it 'real' to my mind.

Visually, I think it looks great. And the sequence on the ladders where Ron Perlman suddenly drops his legs through the rungs and takes aim at the Aliens is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

ahh... Taylor, Beneath The Planet of the Apes. Now I have a name for it..
++++++++

THAT's the obvious example I was trying to remember when I was composing my post! Thanks!
Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Remember, Charlton Heston agreed to come back for basically an extended cameo conditional that Taylor died. He did not, in his words, want to become "Andy Hardy".

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I liked ALIEN RESURRECTION quite well, as it gave Sigourney Weaver a chance to play a very different Ripley. It had a sense of humor, for another thing, which the boring ALIEN3 really didn't.

FWIW, I agree with JB's surmise above--ALIEN3 felt like a story David Fincher wanted to tell about a space prison/monastery and a rampaging slasher...which had no connection to Aliens until the studio said "Eh, why not?" Much like HIGHLANDER 2 was not written to be a sequel to HIGHLANDER but something else entirely.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 16 March 2017 at 1:44pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version