Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: "Nice to see you in action one more time!" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2017 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The other day I mentioned in the Court Martial Thread that I always like when visiting recreations of the old NCC 1701 bridge seeing the 'Jettison Pod' button on the Captainís chair. And in doing so it reminded me of when I was lucky enough to have some photos taken on one with three of the remaining Classic crew at the 50th Anniversary UK show late last year.

So it occurred to me that I never did share them with you guys, and I guess itís always nice to see these guys in their old positions once more. First up at the Helm, Walter Koenig and George Takei, together again. I never expected to get a photo like this. Both guys were top class too!

And of course I couldnít go to this show without getting one of William Shatner back in the Captainís chair. It was almost kind of greedy of me to go for this. As back in 2012 I was lucky enough to get one with him in the chair, (in what to be honest was a slightly more authentic looking recreation of the Bridge.) However though I loved the moment and felt like it was real once in a lifetime meeting, I perhaps foolishly attempted to strike a Spock like pose in that one. And of course only the late, great Leonard Nimoy can do that properly. So I made another attempt at getting a similar one, but without any misguided imitated poses this time around.

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, the photographer took it too quickly. So Iím walking away, when I hear a very familiar voice shout me over. I turn around, and William Shatner is beckoning me to come back, with his finger no less! At this, Iím suddenly thinking, ďOh hell, What have I done to annoy William Shatner!?!í

But after I sheepishly sauntered up, he of course explained that he hadnít been ready for the photo. And so we got it taken once more. And Third timeís the charm!

After which, (no kidding) he put his arm on my shoulder, thanked me for coming, and wished me well!

It most certainly put a spring in my step, for the rest of the day. And the organisers even let me keep the original botched picture, so two photos for the price of one.

Incidentally after all this William Shatner later went on the same night to do his one man show, which I also enjoyed tremendously. It was nice to see him on stage talking about the rest of his career on top of his Star Trek days as heís certainly led an interesting life. So yeah, in the words of the man himself. It was fun!

Back to Top profile | search

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Very cool!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Great pics!

I had a chance to meet William Shatner at a convention a couple of years ago. Being herded thru the autograph and photograph lines, you only get a few seconds to speak/be spoken to. But he seemed gracious and genuine with myself and adjacent fans.

I had a similar photo incident with Lou Ferrigno. The photographer called me back after the first attempt saying I had blinked/closed my eyes. No. It's just when I smile, it looks like my eyes are closed. So, I got two cool Lou pics for the price of one (with me looking equally squinty in both).

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 18 February 2017 at 2:13pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2017 at 1:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks guys!

Yeah, my first photo with William Shatner years ago, had me looking really squinty. So I was so relieved to get another chance at it.

And speaking of Lou Ferrigno, my brother many years ago had an opportunity for a photo with him. So he asks for it, Lou gets up and around from autograph desk, but the battery is suddenly dead in the camera he was using. (This was before camera phones became so common.) I think he thought Lou was going to punch him!
Cue a mad dash from him out of the hotel, and off to the nearest shop selling batteries. But there was a happy ending as Lou was quite gracious when he returned and gave him a nice posed pic that he loves to this day.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version