Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: WONDER WOMAN movie - SPOILERS start Pg. 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eric, Diana had a father. It was Zeus. 

Just got out of seeing it. I thought it was fantastic. DC just needs to stop while they are ahead. 
Back to Top profile | search

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Where the hell is that island? The amazons were very obviously based on Greek culture and ideals. But it had to be close enough to Germany for Steve Trevor's kite to make it there on one tankful of gas.

Doctor Poison's lab was in the Ottoman Empire, not Germany, so Themyscira was somewhere in the Mediterranean.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Overall, I liked the movie, with just a few small complaints. One was
how the hell Steve and Diana sailed from the Mediterranean to London
in a small sailboat?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One was how the hell Steve and Diana sailed from the Mediterranean
to London in a small sailboat?

------

They were towed part of the way. But it did seem like they were towed
by a small tug overnight. Maybe Diana is just a very long and deep
sleeper.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Chris Pine should have looked directly into the camera and raised his eyebrows when he explained it.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I saw the film again this morning, less than 12 hours after seeing it last night. My opinion of the movie improved a smidge.  I was a bit too harsh on the third act last night; most of it worked just fine for me on second viewing.  Except for Ares.  Everything directly involving Ares, for me, was a bust: the actor, the character, the muddled mythology, the video game-esque final battle.  Luckily, the character probably only took up 10% of the film, so not a big detriment.

I didn't comment on Gal Gadot in my first review, and that was a huge oversight.  She carries the film.  No one will ever be as physically perfect for the role, in my eyes, as Lynda Carter, but Gal worked on so many levels; not the least being that she was just so likeable in the role.  Her megawatt smile makes the Snyder/Cavill Superman look all the more like a morose sourpuss.  

The relationship between Diana and Steve was sweet and understated; a good choice to have their relationship develop with casual flirtation rather than the shrill bickering that Hollywood too often uses.

I was kind of indifferent to the WWI setting; it hardly felt different than if it had been set in WWII.

I loved Lucy Davis as Etta Candy; charming and amusing, without being over-the-top comic relief.  

Good job, to whoever cast Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen as sisters; for about a minute I thought they were the same actress playing the same role.  Kudos also to all of the actresses playing Amazons for, more or less, duplicating Gal's accent.  

On the other hand, the film was quirky when it came to language.  The movie made a half-hearted attempted to explain why the Amazons spoke English, but didn't bother explaining why all the Germans did too.  

WONDER WOMAN now ranks very high among my favorite superhero films, just below the best of the MCU.  I still think JUSTICE LEAGUE is going to suck, but hopefully WONDER WOMAN will prompt Warners to move their DC films in a better direction.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Saw it this afternoon.  Loved it.  Absolutely 100% enthralled with it.  I'd put it in the top three DC films (interchangeable with, not ironically, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE and BATMAN BEGINS) and I'd log it is one of my top five all-time regardless of studio.  It's the first DC film in a very long time where the hero was heroic.  Where they weren't burdened by an overriding darkness and a feeling that they don't really want to do what they ultimately end up doing.  Diana does the right things for the right reasons and ::gasp!!:: elevates those around her to do the same.  That scene in No Man's Land was pitch-perfect.  She dragged her human companions kicking and screaming into doing what was right rather than ignore it for the mission ahead.  

There may be a few quibbles here and there (none that I can really think of, honestly) but as a whole I think this is, finally, the quintessential DC movie and a blueprint for how all others should be told.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention that this is the first time in a superhero film that I almost cried.  Almost.  That moment when WW screams out "STEVE!!!!" got me.  They invested so much in their relationship that when she realized what he sacrificed, it hit me like no other superhero film has ever done.  That's exactly what's been missing from recent DC films: the human element.  This Wonder Woman wasn't defined by her attraction to a man, but that relationship affected who she ultimately becomes.  It was beautiful and heartbreaking  

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Saw it this afternoon.  Loved it.  Absolutely 100% enthralled with it.  I'd put it in the top three DC films (interchangeable with, not ironically, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE and BATMAN BEGINS) and I'd log it is one of my top five all-time regardless of studio.  It's the first DC film in a very long time where the hero was heroic. 
++++++++

I've yet to see the film (but all of the positive buzz definitely has me considering it), but it's nice to think that DC's Big Three all have at least one good film to their names, now. It would be especially disappointing if Wonder Woman's first and only feature film--after 75 years of waiting!--was a disaster. Glad to hear that seems not to be the case.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I agree Matt. That sacrifice and Diana's reaction to it is still bouncing around my brain. Lovely relationship between the two. Love how Steve isn't threatened by her strength, but accepting and encouraging towards her goals.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I wished they had not killed him off since he was an excellent character. Then again, I doubt they would have used him in future films since I imagine they will make future WW films in the present day. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Saw it yesterday.  I really enjoyed it.  Gal Gadot is charming and gorgeous and she does for WW what Chris Evans does for Captain America.  They both feel perfect as their characters.  

And speaking of Cap....the Wonder Woman movie 'borrows' lots of the story beats from CA:TFA.   So it did feel a bit too familiar to me.   From 'Steve' taking the experimental plane to sacrifice himself....right down to the rag tag group of soldiers chosen to fight alongside our hero.   WW handled the romance between hero and heroine a bit better.  Steve and Diana got to shag so that's one up for them versus Steve and Peggy!

The action/fight sequences were powerful, but the best visual effects were done too soon on too many of the supporting characters.  Antiope was a bad ass, but Diana in action on the battlefield should have been even more impressive.  As a director I would have saved some of the better moves for WW in the 3rd act.    And the 3rd act (usually where the superhero movies seem to struggle most) was pretty solid.  Ares was still the weakest part of it however.

Hopefully this is the true start of the DCEU....and everything that follows will be at least as good.  

Did I mention I proposed to Gal Gadot/Diana during the movie?  I'm still waiting for her reply....

Seriously. She was amazing.  

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I forgot to mention one really nifty element that I'd be remiss in not pointing out.
Antiope's headband. Because of Antiope's sacrifice, Diana walked into battle wearing something that would viscerally represent selflessness both to the character and the audience. Subtle, powerful and wordless use of symbolism. Not so much as a clumsy, "It's not an 'S.' On my world, it mean 'soap,'" scene.
I can't even look at Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman now without thinking what that headband cost.

The difference between earned symbolism and merely stated is quite striking.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I liked David Thewlis as Ares. I think casting someone like (as someone suggested) Timothy Dalton would have been too obvious. The only thing I would change is that I wouldn't have put him in armour for his battle with Diana. Personally I would have preferred the quietly spoken, terribly polite 'Englishman' in a boring suit casually hurling tanks about - I think that would have been more unsettling (though not so good for action figure sales).

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

ITEM: Mr. Byrne, I think youcontributed as much as some of the others who were listed in the credits. Forexample, I don’t know what Messrs. Kanigher and Andru introduced to the seriesthat was new. They did it for quite a while, and they were very good – which describesMr. Byrne’s contribution to me. (And no, I didn’t read every Kanigher/Andruissue. Maybe I missed something.) Ditto for some of the others credited.

ITEM: Brian Miller: “…Dianahad a father. It was Zeus.”

NO SHIT?!?!? That must be abrand spanking new revelation. It’s a shame that didn’t cover that in 70-oddyears of Wonder Woman comics. Does making Diana a goddess make her moreinteresting? The ONLY goddess, I guess, since all the other gods are dead atthe end of WW…

ITEM: Thom Price: “DoctorPoison's lab was in the Ottoman Empire, not Germany, so Themyscira wassomewhere in the Mediterranean.”

Well, that answers that!Thanks! (Don’t know how I overlooked that. Damned Prussians… 😃 )

ITEM: This is, to date, thedefinitive Wonder Woman appearance (although “Justice League” is a very tightsecond… but that was a series, not a single product.) “Superman: The Movie” ispretty definitive for me (okay, let’s skip the time travel thing…) I think theBatman property was “Batman: Mask of the Phantasm”, because I think the DarkKnight trilogy missed Bruce Wayne and Batman; but I can surely understand howsome think that’s the one.

And I have no argument that this is the finest DCEU property to date, and I prophesy that it will be superior to "Justice League". I hope not... but past performance doesn't suggest very good chances...

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I wished they had not killed him off since he was an excellent character. Then again, I doubt they would have used him in future films since I imagine they will make future WW films in the present day. 

I also wish they hadn't killed him off and felt the same with Peggy Carter.  It's frustrating to me that creators get so caught up in "realism" when writing a piece of fantasy fiction.  I tire of a character having to die because they'd be too old now.

To me, that's lazy/bad writing.  I'd much rather see the chemistry of Gadot/Pine or Evans/Atwell continue than their characters "having" to die because they were from a different era.  

For example, I'd rather Cap deal with the ramifications of using the cosmic cube to bring Peggy to his present than just see her get killed in a flashback.

It used to be, Superman would turn back time to save Lois.  Now, it seems characters have to be killed just because the writer can't seem to imagine any other way of eliciting emotion.

Loved Wonder Woman by the way.  It wasn't perfect but Gadot made 2+ hours seem too short.  Pine was great too.  A lot of credit there as I've never cared about Trevor up 'til now.  

The one thing I thought was a missed opportunity was when WW led the charge into the Badlands.  Or would it have been too obvious to have her on a white horse like on WW #1?

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

ITEM: Brian Miller: “…Dianahad a father. It was Zeus.”

NO SHIT?!?!? That must be abrand spanking new revelation. It’s a shame that didn’t cover that in 70-oddyears of Wonder Woman comics. Does making Diana a goddess make her moreinteresting? The ONLY goddess, I guess, since all the other gods are dead atthe end of WW…

WW does say that Zeus is her "father" but the way it was explained was that she was molded out of clay and Zeus's magic brought her to life.  I don't believe they implied that Zeus and Hippolyta...well, you know.

Not that that necessarily matches the source material but they do explain themselves within the story of the movie.

Philip Obaza
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Anyone see this?

https://www.nytimes.com/video/movies/100000005136355/anatomy -of-a-scene-wonder-woman.html

This was something I noticed and found very cool to hear it confirmed that
it was intended.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

ITEM: Mr. Byrne, I think youcontributed as much as some of the others
who were listed in the credits. Forexample, I don’t know what Messrs.
Kanigher and Andru introduced to the seriesthat was new. They did it
for quite a while, and they were very good – which describesMr. Byrne’s
contribution to me. (And no, I didn’t read every Kanigher/Andruissue.
Maybe I missed something.) Ditto for some of the others credited

------

Those thank you credits tend to be for specific characters, plot points,
or even images replicated on film. What from JB's run did you think was
used in the movie?

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Those thank you credits tend to be for specific characters, plot points, 
or even images replicated on film. What from JB's run did you think was 
used in the movie?

Didn't JB introduce the larger bracelets?  Pretty significant change to her look IMO.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

NO SHIT?!?!? That must be abrand spanking new revelation. It’s a
shame that didn’t cover that in 70-oddyears of Wonder Woman comics.
Does making Diana a goddess make her moreinteresting? The ONLY
goddess, I guess, since all the other gods are dead atthe end of WW…

WW does say that Zeus is her "father" but the way it was explained was
that she was molded out of clay and Zeus's magic brought her to life. I
don't believe they implied that Zeus and Hippolyta...well, you know.

------

Zeus being Diana's biological father was the status quo in New 52, but I
don't know what it is post-Rebirth. I think the Zeus reveal works both
ways. Either the clay story is literal and Zeus is her "father", or
Hippolyta was impregnated by Zeus and being molded from clay is just
a story Hippolyta told Diana. There's an argument either way, but I don't
think the audience is suppossed to dwell on it too much. Personally,
since Zeus was dying as he brought Diana to life, I don't think we're
meant to think that Zeus had a quickie with Hippolyta before he went
out. Of course we're talking about the dude who impregnated a young
virgin disguised as shower of gold coins, so who knows?

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

WONDER WOMAN is, simply put… MAGNIFICENT!  Its only real fault is that it is about 15 min. too long.  Other than that… WONDERful!

Some of my favorite scenes: the battle between the Germans and the Amazons on the shores of Themyscira.  The short, but sweet fight scene in the London alley. Diana/Wonder Woman’s first real costumed foray into battle into No Man’s Land.  To a slightly lesser extent than the previous three scenes: Diana/Wonder Woman’s victory over Ares at the end of the movie.

Like many others, for me, Lynda Carter has for DECADES been the proverbial “perfect” Diana/Wonder Woman!  I am so happy to say that a worthy successor has been found in Gal Gadot.  Gadot does what I thought was impossible; she steps into those boots and BECOMES Wonder Woman!  Even her acting chops come through in the very subtle way she conveys the maturity/sophistication of Diana in modern times (working at the Louvre, in the prologue and epilogue of the movie) contrasted against the more innocent, “stranger in a strange land” Diana in the main body of the movie.

The cast is spot-on perfect – I loved them all!  I especially loved Robin Wright as Antiope, Chris Pine as Steve Trevor and of course, Lucy Davis as Etta Candy!  And special mention goes to Elena Anaya, who played a Dr. Maru/Poison who looked like she stepped right out of the pages of the Golden Age Wonder Woman comics!  I even liked David Thewlis as Ares – I agree with Andrew, I think a Timothy Dalton-type would have been a little cliché.   Thewlis breaks the stereotype of what you expect when you think of Ares, while still coming off as dark and menacing.

As a comic-book fan and not a “civilian” and as a bit of a traditionalist comic-book fan at that, I am admittedly not completely enamored of Diana as the daughter of Zeus angle.  However, I recognize that this is something that DC made canon in the comics well before the movie came along (at least as far as the New 52 went).  I also think there is sufficient ambiguity left within the context of the movie for one to believe that Zeus “fathered” Diana by imbuing her with life via the molded from clay angle IF you want to hold to that version.  After all, nowhere in the film do they come out and say “Zeus visited the Amazon Queen, they had SEX and she had gave BIRTH to the live child, Diana.”

Speaking of “civilians” – the friends and co-workers I know that have seen WONDER WOMAN have ALL loved it!!  ALL of them!!  I think this bodes well for the box-office, which by the way (for those who haven’t yet heard) is estimated to EXCEED that magic $100 million number by the end of today.  It’s doing even better worldwide.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 04 June 2017 at 1:38pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Seen it today with my son. 
A couple of pretty emotional scenes for me. 
The trench scene was perfect. 
Steve's death and ensuing rage by WW was powerful and emotional.
Gal absolutely made, made, made the movie!
There were flaws but Gal nearly wiped them away by herself. 

Was it JB that introduced Diana working in a museum?

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Saw it this morning and loved it. I had a few minor quibbles, most of which have already been mentioned (the obligatory CGI slugfest climax, etc.), but nothing that seriously detracted from my enjoyment.

I hereby repent of every time I thought Gal Gadot looked, sounded, or simply was wrong for the part. She's fantastic.

Easily the best big-screen DC effort since Batman Begins, and edging right up there toward my all-time favorites. I look forward to seeing it again.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

RE: the location of Paradise Island.
I was left with the impression that the island was in another dimension.  Nowhere in our physical world.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version