Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: WONDER WOMAN movie - SPOILERS start Pg. 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

WONDER WOMAN was okay.... I was a bit disappointed by the little changes to the origin and the way Diana chooses to leave the island, but it was a decent enough story for the masses. Considering the track record for WB/DC movies, this movie was a big improvement.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Overall it's not a bad film but, for me, it's not an excellent one. (My favorite being Superman the Movie to give a frame of reference.)

•••

Ah, yes. Remember when Christopher Reeve insisted they get the costume right?

Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I am pleased to report $600 Million in just under 3 weeks!!!  Now the third highest grossing movie of the year - in the US!  6th Highest Grossing film WORLDWIDE!

Marc

(edited to correct US v Worldwide rankings)

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 24 June 2017 at 7:56am

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The second film should be much better.

This was a half hour and one big battle scene too long.

Once they blew the tower and saved the town, I was satisfied, but, they needed to have a huge "look what I can do" scene.

Ms. GG is truly wondrous, so there's that! :)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yet somebody thought she needed her own Howling Commandos.

My thought exactly. I don't know the comic book well enough but were these characters unique to the film?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There was an old fashionedness about the film that I liked and pretty much no knowledge of any other film was required (something that I fear is starting to blight he MCU films).

My two boys were particularly enthusiastic about going to the see it but came away raving about it, probably more than me.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2017 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Saw this last night. I think there is about 3/4 of a good movie in this. Which is 3/4 better than the previous three films DC have made in this set.

Good acting, some incredible set pieces (no man's land being the stand out of course) and good humour. Unfortunately, degenerates in to the typical overblown light fest of a fight at the end along with a remarkably high amount of parallels to CAPTAIN AMERICA. 

They clearly convoluted the origin as even one of my non-comic book friends asked 'Is she a god or not? Because they clearly state that only a god can kill a god. So is she a god'?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Saw it last night. Gal Gadot did an amazing job, had the gravitas. Costumes
looked good, real feel of nobility from W.W.
My only disappointment would be the needless cgi fight at the end.

Dr. Poison was a character they could've done much more with.

Overall a pretty good movie.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I really liked the film, too. The interplay between Diana and Steve reminded me a bit of Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder in the first Superman film.
I agree with those who didn't care for the end battle between WW and Ares. First of all, I don't buy the explanation for Ares encouraging an armistice. I think it was another case of a surprise twist that is a surprise because it makes no sense (Think "Now You See Me."). Also, where much of the film seemed realistic up to that point, it seemed an immediate departure into CGI or video game land.
I think setting it in World War I was a good choice because it meshes, more than World War II, with the Amazons' belief that all wars can be avoided. If I remember correctly, WWI grew out of political alliances while WWII was fought largely to prevent Nazi conquest.
And I would like to see more WW films in that setting, just as I wanted more Captain America WWII films, but I don't think we'll get that.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One quick clarification: the settings seemed realistic to me up to that point. Once the battle with Ares began, I knew they were in some green screen studio together.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2017 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Finally got 'round to seeing this. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Not truly great, but it hits most of the right notes, and has earnestness and heart to it. Perish forbid--a DC film with respect for the material, and some actual emotions and likable characters?!?

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A new milestone to mention re: the WONDER WOMAN movie for those interested in this kind of stuff:

WONDER WOMAN's current (and still rising) box office totals make this movie the 3rd biggest domestic release ever for Warner Bros... and also worth mentioning:

The Hollywood Reporter is predicting that when all is said and done, WONDER WOMAN will be THE top-grossing movie of the summer in North America!

All hail the Princess!

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 18 July 2017 at 12:24am

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

earnestness and heart to it.>>>

This.  It's what I thought HOMECOMING was missing.  Instead of clubbing us over the head with nonstop humor, how about some more heart.  Also, Diana is a very idealistic character..  Like you said, perish the thought we have one of them in superHERO movies.  Let's see if this trend extends to JUSTICE LEAGUE.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

What wasn't idealistic about Homecoming's Peter Parker/Spider-Man?

Wide-eyed kid with spectacular new powers wants to "help the little guy" and turns down his dream to become an Avenger.

Freed himself from being buried under tons of rubble by believing in himself in a way he hadn't throughout the movie.

Saved the life of the Vulture and was thoughtful enough to gather up all of Stark's tech from the wreckage of the cargo plane.

He helped a lost old lady and got a churro for his trouble!

Plenty of heart was on display.  At least I thought so.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I thought so, too.

And Spider-Man is supposed to have a sense of humor, after all. I'd rather have a lot of jokes than all the crying that went on in the Raimi movies.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Where did I say Peter wasn't idealistic in HOMECOMING?  The humor is a personal preference thing.  I don't think Spider-Man should have that much humor,  Deadpool yes, Spider-Man no.  They club you over the head with it.  Like I said, some more heart, less humor.  It was an hour and a half in before I saw what I considered a really heartfelt scene.  Again, mileage varies.  I would take Raimi's first 2 movies over HOMECOMING, easily.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Again, mileage varies.  I would take Raimi's first 2 movies over HOMECOMING, easily.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's true mileage does vary. I don't know how much staying power Homecoming has with me. It's too soon for me to judge. I'm still loving it. 
As for Raimi's films. I don't have an interest in watching them anymore. Thinking back about what I liked about the films. The only things that stick out for me are. J.K.Simmons, Elizabeth Banks and Doc Ock's tentacles.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

"The only things that stick out for me are. J.K.Simmons, Elizabeth Banks and Doc Ock's tentacles."

Yes! J.K.Simmons!
His J.J.J. jumped right out of the comics and onto the screen.
If this new iteration delves into the Daily Bugle they need to get him back.

edit to remove quote. There's so much Spidey talk I thought I was on the Homecoming thread.

Edited by Doug Centers on 18 July 2017 at 6:45pm

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

IMO, Simmons gave us the most spot on comics characterization in the 6 movies.  Too bad we haven't seen Jonah in half of them.  I said this in the other thread.  I have never bought a WW solo comic.  Read her plenty in other places, but no way I know her history or supporting cast the way I do Spider-Man.  I'm not going to nitpicking nearly as much this way.

I still think I have a pretty good idea of the character and I enjoyed the movie.  More than Homecoming or LOGAN.  Neither of which I disliked, but I've got real problems with parts of each.  It's not like I regret paying to see them, though.

Also, the bar had been set so low with MOS and BVSS  that a  movie with the character reasonably on model was such a refreshing change.
Perhaps my positive feelings were influenced by that.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I don't think it's so much that it was faithful to the character though many of the basic elements are there. I think that it was much not nearly as bleak as the other films, with some humor and down-to-earth personal interaction. Wonder Woman seems like a person you could actually like, while Superman, in the two recent films, did not. And much of it didn't seem like it was shot in a green screen studio(even if, perhaps it was).

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2017 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Wonder Woman has now officially brought in $786 million globally, narrowly surpassing Deadpool‘s $783.1 million 2016 release.

Wonder Woman is now the highest-grossing film of the summer, beating out Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

In the meantime, Warner Bros. is reportedly gearing up for an Oscar push for next year’s Academy Awards. The studio has its eyes on nominations for Best Picture and Best Director!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Warner Brothers apparently dreams VERY big... and a good dollop of humor added (intentionally or not.)

I'm not an expert, nor do I feel like doing the research right now, but I don't recall too many of the recent Best Pictures winners being powerhouses at the box office. I mean, they weren't ignored... but they weren't the cash cows either.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I'm not sure what you'd consider a "powerhouse" (over $100 million in the US?).  In that case, then ARGO, THE KING'S SPEECH, and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE made over $130 million.  However the really big one was THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING which made over $377 million in the US.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2017 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Kevin, I don't have a specific number in mind. What I have in mind is that the Academy seems to prefer "artistic" movies to box office champions. I'm not sure I can set a quantifiable standard on that... it just seems that the popular moves (such as "Wonder Woman") don't show up as best pictures that much.

Of course I could be wrong... but that's my impression.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Very happy and pleasantly surprised to see that WONDER WOMAN is now guaranteed to be the #1 film of the summer.  I'd pegged GUARDIANS, VOL. 2, DESPICABLE ME 3 and the new SPIDER-MAN to be the Top 3 of the summer, figuring the "curse of the DCEU" would rear its ugly head again, and that the usual sexism would keep some fanboys from buying a ticket to a "girls movie."

It's great to be proved wrong!

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version