Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: La La Land *Spoilers * Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2017 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think we've all learned a lesson about a national crisis that has plagued this country for decades:

Hollywood actors are dumb.
Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 February 2017 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hollywood actors are dumb.

SOME are. And over the years I have noticed they often give the best performances. It's as if the character is able to "move in" since there's not much there taking up space to begin with!

Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2017 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In short, Beatty could have handled it better but Dunaway REALLY screwed up and the keepers of the cards (is it still Price Waterhouse?) screwed up badly enough that they must all be fired.  How do you hand someone the wrong envelope for the biggest award in the entire industry? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
Saying someone should be fired over this is ridiculously over dramatic. It was an accident that occurred during an awards show.  It caused embarrassment to all involved. But no real harm was done.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2017 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Saying someone should be fired over this is ridiculously over dramatic. It was an accident that occurred during an awards show.  It caused embarrassment to all involved. But no real harm was done.
Your one job is to secure the envelopes and the one envelope containing the biggest prize in all of the entertainment world, something that that hundreds of people on both movies have worked for thousands of hours to achieve is mishandled?  If it had been some technical achievement award it would have still been horrific but this didn't affect just a person or two but everyone on each movie.  It's the biggest entertainment prize and moment of the year and the mistake wound up not only humiliating all the creators of LA LA LAND who had that moment yanked away but also depriving MOONLIGHT's creators of their real moment in the sun.  And all of this in front of nearly a billion people.  I don't think it's being over dramatic to say those envelope holders (who apparently already had champagne glasses at their table and were either already celebrating or at least obviously distracted) should not be handling that task next year. 

Thank God the producers of LA LA LAND were so gracious about it or this could have been far more uncomfortable than it already was.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 February 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Jay-SOOS!! It's not like they cut off the wrong leg!!!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2017 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, it's not like they gave Beatty and Dunaway the nuclear codes,,,although at Price Waterhouse Coopers, it might be just like that...

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 27 February 2017 at 11:05am

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2017 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In an industry of packaging, timing, scripting and, well, ''fakeness', this was the most spontaneous and 'real' thing to happen during an Oscars in a very long time. Because of the sincerity of all concerned parties, this might very well be a blessing in disguise for the Academy, both pictures involved and all parties up on that stage. This was taking streaker, Shasheen Littlefeather, Roberto Benigni and "Adele Dazeem" moments and merging them into one. From year to year a lot of people forget who won last year... I think next year people will not have that problem.

And, hey... now someone under the age of 30 might know who Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty are!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2017 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Acknowledging that Beatty and Dunaway COULD have handled it better - imagine being on the international stage, the biggest award of the biggest award show - and something goes awry and you have FIVE SECONDS to save it. Live and in person.

Speaking as a performer, I know they could have done better - but the pressure in those few seconds had to be awful. And every actor knows... when the scene goes wrong, do SOMETHING.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2017 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Saw the movie earlier today, and.....I was somewhat disappointed. Would have been a much better film if:

1. The song "City of Stars" hadn't been used multiple times throughout. Its not that great a song to begin with.

2. They had cast someone who could actually sing, rather than Ryan Gosling, for the male lead.

3. The ending hadn't been weird. I didn't like the dream sequence/all in her head bit.

Not even the best musical of 2016. That would be SING.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Before I re-read the thread, I'll just quick post my initial reaction:

My 12-year old daughter got her braces on yesterday, so I wanted to cheer her up by taking her to see this (she's hooked on a lot of classic movie musicals and stage shows), and I really, really wanted to love it... both of us only ended-up sorta liking it.  Not really the old-school return-to-movie-musical-form that the ads & hype made it out to be.

Aside from the opening and closing credits, not much of a movie musical... maybe even not much of a movie.  Seemed to run out of steam after only the 1/2 hour mark, and any musical interludes (I hesitate to call them full-on numbers) were only fitful stops & starts.  The leads were likable enough, but their story was far from compelling... nothing wrong with a movie about "young love," as long as the material helps prop it up a bit more, but there seemed to be a whole lot of nothing going on here.

That said, I did very much enjoy the score (if not always the songs), and there were some cute moments throughout, just nothing that really made your heart soar (the planetarium came close), or ache (other than the end scene in the jazz club, which I thought was rather well-done... just too little, too late).

Have to sleep on it some more... definitely overrated, but I'd rent it again, to see how much holds-up, or if my opinion changes for better or worse.  But in the end:  A big disappointment.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version