Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Capaldi’s Final Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yes, we have.

After the Doctor (Twelve) returned to Gallifrey, the Time Lord general from The Day of the Doctor regenerated onscreen into a black woman. So we got a race AND gender swap all in one.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe the way to go is something goes wrong and the Doctor regenerates into three different separate doctors and after a brief intro they code-clone the Tardis and go their own ways to do a rotating show with three casts that sometimes interact. 

Yeah Farscape did something like this and it also stinks of Who will be the new superman after the DEATH OF SUPERMAN event but...might be interesting.

They could even play with the grim knowledge that time won't put up with this sort of tomfoolery so two of them are likely to be in very serious danger as the universe bends fate to try and clean up the loose ends to the "natural" state of only one Doctor.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The scenario I'd like to see:

While regenerating, the Doctor gets captured and trapped in stasis by a mysterious enemy. 

Instead of going straight to Thirteen, we get a season of Paul McGann as Eight, who eventually ends up rescuing and freeing from stasis Thirteen, who finally regenerates.

Won't happen, but would be nice. I can't afford to buy Big Finish audios, or I definitely would. 

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've enjoyed an older Doctor, I was afraid they were going to get a teenager for the role with how young they've been getting...

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd like to see the Doctor regenerate into a pre teenager. Not for a whole season. maybe for a story arc or two. 
Back to Top profile | search

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian, you forgot the other main Time Lord from "Day of the Doctor."  Guy on left regenerated as described, Time Lord on right is still with us, I think: 

There's been rumors flying about concerning Tilda Swinton taking up the Sonic Screwdriver from Capaldi.  I would be very OK with that.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The density of some people's thinking amazes me sometimes. I'm having a discussion with someone on facebook about the Doctor becoming a woman. It's been a respectful exchange so far. But I swear the man is being thick in the head. in one of his statements he brings up superheroes in Doctor Who and not liking it. I respond with the fact that the Doctor and Captain Jack can be considered superheroes. His response was no they couldn't because superheroes get their powers through magic not science. I went thru a list of science based heroes. Superman, Spider-Man etc. 

He went on how traveling to another planet would give you super powers. Gamma Rays would give you muscle etc. 

I defended my position by pointing out that it's science fiction not science fact and that by his thinking the TARDIS has to be a magical box. We except within the confines of those universes that the science they tells us works as they say it does. 

I've yet to receive a response to that yet.  My goodness i'm amazed at how someone can miss the point of defending a fictional show by saying the science in other fictional shows don't function the way they do in real life.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've no problem with the Doctor regenerating into a woman, provided that:

There are no jokes about the gender swap beyond the first episode (or when Missy shows up, provided she doesn't regenerate back into a he).

There's no reverse companion romance, with a male companion falling for a female Doctor.

But I do not like the idea of a well known, well established female actor taking the role. It would lead to too many expectations. 

What I'd sort of like to see happen, as a test run, is to have something happen that switches the Doctor's gender, and leave him (her) that way for 3 or 4 episodes before its undone. After all, if the Doctor can be artificially aged on two different occasions, then I don't see why something couldn't change his sex.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2017 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There are two actors that I'd like to see cast as the Doctor. Dougray Scott and Kevin McKidd. Either actor I believe would do a fantastic job as the Doctor.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2017 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'd honestly be surprised if they had two Scottish actors in a row play the Doctor. I could see either of those actors in the role, but I'd rather not have McKidd as the Doctor if I have to suffer seeing inevitable  jokes related to Grey's Anatomy start up.

I was thinking of some oddball choices, and came up with one that's out there: Burn Gorman. He's already done Torchwood, so why not Doctor Who?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2017 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just because they cast a Scottish actor, they wouldn't necessarily play it in their own accent - take Davis Tennant for example.

One name to throw in the ring is James Nesbitt. When there was the Davros two-parter and the first episode ended with the Doctor seemingly regenerating, there was a lot of buzz about him and I could see him being a good fit.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Matthew, my point is I'd be surprised if they cast two Scottish actors in a row. Has nothing to do with accents. 

James Nesbitt would be an interesting choice. Back when he was bandied about before, I didn't like that idea at all. But now I could see it. He'd also work as the Master, if they decided to go that route. 

Meanwhile, Big Finish is releasing the last War Doctor story that John Hurt recorded, and some new Eighth Doctor ones. And apparently not only will they be using the Weeping Angels....but also River Song. Ugh.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2017 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Matthew, my point is I'd be surprised if they cast two Scottish actors in a row. Has nothing to do with accents. 

Why do you think they wouldn't cast two Scots in a row? Other than accent, I can't think of a reason.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Found out they're bringing back some enemies that haven't been seen in a long time. And in one case, since the First Doctor era!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

New trailer.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Old-school Cybermen!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/adff0629-5ce5-4 a0e-b81a-69693d489745

Edited by Josh Goldberg on 14 March 2017 at 6:02am

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Me likey, I've liked Capaldi and just wish he'd stick around a little longer...

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I still want Rowan Atkinson!

(And only slightly to fry the brains of those residents of Whoville who think "The Curse of Fatal Death" must fit into continuity!)

Alternately, Michael Palin!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I've no problem with the Doctor regenerating into a woman...

•••

I know! Let's have him regenerate as River Song! And fold the timeline! He was ALWAYS River Song!

(Somewhere, Steven Moffat's nipples just got hard, and he knows not why!)

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Has Hugh Laurie been mentioned too often and for too obvious of an idea?  I think he might make a good Doctor.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I've no problem with the Doctor regenerating into a woman...

•••

I know! Let's have him regenerate as River Song! And fold the timeline! He was ALWAYS River Song!

(Somewhere, Steven Moffat's nipples just got hard, and he knows not why!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler Warning ---JB just revealed the finale to this year's Christmas special.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2017 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Methinks Moffat often thinks things like that, and has had that reaction to such thoughts countless times..about as often as the cute girl companion saves the universe.
If that ever happened to him for reasons unconnected to 'Doctor Who Anorakishness'...THEN he would know not why...

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

BBC have released the synopsis for the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who

The Pilot

Two worlds collide when the Doctor meets Bill. 

A chance encounter with a girl with a star in her eye leads to a terrifying chase across time and space. Bill’s mind is opened to a Universe that is bigger and more exciting than she could possibly have imagined - but who is the Doctor, and what is his secret mission with Nardole on Earth?
The episode premieres on BBC One on Saturday 15th April, followed by screenings around the world.

It appears that, once again, the companion is going to be the most special person in the cosmos.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

It appears that, once again, the companion is going to be the most special person in the cosmos.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This season hasn't begun yet and I'm already looking forward to the end of it. I'm going to miss Capaldi when he leaves and I'm apprehensive about who will follow him.  Still I'm so tired of Moffat. Even if I end up not liking the next Doctor and show runner. At least it won't be Moffat.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-31/pearl-mackies-bill -potts-will-be-doctor-whos-first-openly-gay-companion
Accept that no she isn't.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 01 April 2017 at 7:30pm

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version