Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Capaldi’s Final Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No-one is saying Tennant was a household name but to claim that his only role of note prior to Doctor Who was a 1993 episode of Rab C. Nesbitt is patently absurd. Casanova may not have aired when he was cast but it did go out just before his casting was announced. Aside from the prominent TV roles that Brian mentioned, he was also nominated for a Laurence Olivier Theatre Award (Best Actor) in 2002.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Robert he may have done all that. But most people in the US weren't aware of that. So maybe across the pond he was better known. But in America when he started on Doctor Who. The name Tennant didn't ring any bells for most anyone. Say his name today most people know who you're talking about. 

Being an unknown isn't a insult or any sort of commentary on a person's abilities. It just means that people hadn't discovered him yet.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm sure you're right about America but I'm looking at it from a British viewpoint and was taking issue with Bill's assertion.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm sure you're right about America but I'm looking at it from a British viewpoint and was taking issue with Bill's assertion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Do you mean about Tennant having only been in one role before Doctor Who? 
If that's issue you are discussing. It escaped my attention when I first read Bill's post. I wouldn't debate that. IMDB has his credits listed.So it's obvious that he had been in several other things prior. 

The part about Bills post about wanting a unknown actor. I'm on board with that. That's one of the things I thought was so good about Tennant when he took over. Since I hadn't seen him in anything before Doctor Who. I was able to think of him as The Doctor. Not David Tennant.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Anyone who played bass for James Brown, Funkadelic, formed the Rubber Band, and hung out with DeeLite would make a decent Dr Who. 
Back to Top profile | search | email

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Anthony, I'm pleased that not knowing who Tennant was enhanced your enjoyment. However, I don't believe that RTD and Co. thought they were casting an unknown. Even discounting his other roles, Davies, as the writer of Casanova, would have been aware that that role would put Tennant in the public eye before he'd appeared in Doctor Who. Again, not a household name but by no means an unknown.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Robbie, I read that RTD wanted Tennant from the beginning. But cast Eccleston because of his name recognition. So that Doctor Who would have a better at chance of success. He knew he would eventually cast him as the next Doctor. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Robbie I'm not suggesting he was cast because he was an unknown.  Never the less he was a relatively known name.

How often have we discovered actors in films or tv shows. To be surprised that was actually had seen them before. Yet they never stood out for us. But once you become aware of them. You suddenly see them in those old programs. Where as you missed them before.

It wasn't until after "Discovering" David Tennant in Doctor Who. That it was brought to my attention that he was in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  For the life of me I didn't remember seeing him.  When I finally saw that film again. I saw that he indeed was in the film. 

So even thou I'd seen him before DW. Tennant was still unknown to me.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Having seen an actor before in something you enjoyed and then seeing them in something else good and not putting it together that the two roles were played by the same individual is, I think, a mark of a good performer, often an excellent one. You're there to see the story, first and foremost, and the characters in it. Seeing the actor first and having to erase or ignore that to get to the story going on behind that recognition is often a step further than I want to take. 

I was taken with if not downright smitten by Connie Britton three times before I realized, belatedly, that all three roles were played by the same person. I've now picked up the first season of Friday Night Lights and am a little hesitant to see it because it will be the first time I'm going into something knowing Connie Britton is in it. That may argue against her bankability to some in the industry, but I find that transformative quality to her performances amazing. She was utterly charming and effective in three separate roles in three completely different ways before the penny dropped for me. 

Maybe Connie Britton could play Doctor Who...

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

What Anthony says about retroactive recognition is absolutely true.  I had this experience with Breaking Bad in a huge way.  I didn't remember ever seeing Anna Gunn before, but upon going back to some other shows, I realized she played a D.A. on an ongoing basis in The Practice, which, when it was on, was probably my favorite show.  But I didn't make the connection until after Breaking Bad.  Same thing with Dean Norris.  Didn't recognize him in Breaking Bad at all, but after watching it, I started seeing him all over the place in character roles on different shows.

So its entirely possible that a (very) large portion of the audience had seen David Tennant dozens of times before, but only realized it after they became familiar with him through Who.

If they cast an 'unknown' as the new Doctor, its very unlikely that whoever that person is will have never acted before, but playing the Doctor may be the role that gets that actor widespread recognition.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I do that all the time with actors but just figured it was my terrible memory.

I consider Tennant and Matt Smith to be largely unknown at the time of their casting even though I did know Tennant beforehand. He'd been in a few DW Big Finish audio plays for a start but nothing he'd been in made him a household name like say, Idris Elba is these days or even Capaldi who was fairly well-known for other roles over here. I'd rather have another 'unknown'.

Anyway, as much as it wouldn't bother me to have a female Doctor, I can't see it happening but I certainly can see a BAME (Black Asian Minority Ethnic) actor being cast and would suggest it's about time.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

At this point, it seems like casting anyone other than a White Male Brit would be less a case of "it's about time," and more "why now after all these years?"

DOCTOR WHO hasn't been an all-White club for a long time, so altering the Doctor hardly seems necessary to maintain "diversity."

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm not in favor of gender or race swapping the character. My accepting or not accepting the change ultimately comes down to the actor cast. If they win me over acceptance would eventually come.

I think the one exception I make to the gender swapping is this. If Catherine Tate were cast as the next Doctor. I'd love seeing that. I'm a big fan of hers.

I really wish that the BBC and or actors involved would stop announcing ahead of time that they were leaving. I want that element of surprise.

I recall how upset I was when Christopher Eccleston left. When Tennant appeared on screen I wasn't happy about it at all. I thought he was too good looking. I like my Doctors to look a bit strange or goofy. For most of 'Christmas Invasion' I was disappointed. But the moment Tennant  babbling on the Sycorax ship he had won me over.

Now that they are announcing it ahead of time. I go through months of disappointment. Which contributes to my potential prejudices against the new guy. In the case of Matt Smith I was glad that he was going. I wasn't a big fan of his time or episodes. I came to know that it was Moffat to blame for my dislike. When Capaldi was cast I was glad. Most of his episodes were disappointing but I've enjoyed his performance greatly.

Now I'm back in the position of being disappointed that he is leaving. I'm glad that Moffat is finally leaving. Chris Chibnall may end up being disappointing as well. But at least he is a change.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

...Matt Smith...

•••

Instantly my favorite Doctor -- tho the show itself became steadily more and more unwatchable.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

...Matt Smith...

•••

Instantly my favorite Doctor -- tho the show itself became steadily more and more unwatchable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His last few episodes were the ones I enjoyed. The 50th anniversary episode was by far my favorite of his performances. It's a shame that he didn't have someone else in charge. 

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I found it very jarring to watch Capaldi when he started out.

It seemed to me they were doing Dr. House as the Doctor.

I watched some THE THICK OF IT and it made matters even worse.

Then, I got into Classic Who and became familiar with John Pertwee and realized they were trying for a spin on that.

So, I was able to actually enjoy a few of his eps, especially that one he soloes inside a castle.

Moffatt's writing has only gone from bad to worse, though.

I think New New Who will be quite refreshing.

As long as there's no RIVER SONG! Fingers crossed!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

When Capaldi started, I thought they were trying to make Twelve's personality a cross between Three and Six. But he's come into his own as the Doctor. 

Smith went downhill once Clara was introduced. Except for `The Snowmen' and `Day of the Doctor', which are both specials, my favorite Smith episodes all involve either Amy or both her and Rory as his companions. (Including episodes where Amy and Rory are barely in them, like `The Lodger')

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Amy was instantly my favorite companion. Ruined by Moffat.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

At this point, it seems like casting anyone other than a White Male Brit would be less a case of "it's about time," and more "why now after all these years?"
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
Mainly because for years it would have been unthinkable and now, hopefully, it isn't.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I'd think a race change would be easier to accept for most fans than a gender swap. I know I'd certainly have no problem with it. But a gender swap would be gimmick casting. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'd think a race change would be easier to accept for most fans than a gender swap. I know I'd certainly have no problem with it. But a gender swap would be gimmick casting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think Race swapping would be a gimmick as well.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The love triangle between Amy, Rory and Eleven should've been played on for ages...as soon as it was resolved, like, in two eps, Rory got turned into an immortal Roman centurion cyborg or something...WTF...what a way to ruin a character!

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 06 February 2017 at 10:27pm

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Clara never fit in the picture with Eleven for me...except that they were probably the top two hottest people in British tv and that must equal...rrrrratings!

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

As far as a black Dr Who frankly I don't care that much either way, but the show is a series of stunts at this point so experiment away and no harm done. Paterson Joseph might make a good choice.

He's got a friendly smile and is charismatic but does "weird" and "oddball quirk" stuff quite well, so he'd make a good alien such as a Ford Prefect or a Doctor. He's youngish & good looking. He's done the Shakespeare all the kids are so into these days. He's got comic timing and the patient "I'm still waiting for you to catch on" half smile you expect from an outsider who's smarter than the average bear and not afraid to show it. He showed up in Bad Wolf so he's got the "prior appearance" thing that BBC seems to want.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

He'd been suggested before by several people when they were casting Eleven.

If they don't want to go youngish again, my choice would be Adrian Lester. I saw the first three seasons of HUSTLE (and sadly, that's all I saw) when they aired here in the U.S.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 07 February 2017 at 9:08am

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Two names to throw into the frame:

Adeel Akhtar is a fine actor with a growing profile on British TV. He would make a great Doctor and something very different to what we have had since the programme was brought back (and I'm thinking shape and style rather than ethnicity).

Daniel Ridley was talked about last time around and I suspect will be in the frame again. Really like him but do wonder if they will go 'young' again any time soon.

It's also worth noting that Chibnall's Broadchurch used a lot of Doctor Who-related actors. I wonder if he might just go the other way around this time and cast someone from Broadchurch as the Doctor. If so, reckon you're looking at Andrew Buchan or James D'Arcy.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Question: have we ever seen a Black Time Lord? Or any other race but White, for that matter?

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version