Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Group/Album/Song that changed music for you (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

This isn't about the greatest, favorite, best (even though it  might be), this is the song that changed the way you enjoyed music

For me:  Three Dog Night - Suitable for Framing - "A Change is Gonna Come"

Introduced me to Sam Cooke  -> Otis Redding
Blue-eyed soul -> BB King and other Blues
Blue-eyed soul British Invasion music - to the Who
Soul music that wasn't MoTown -> Sly -> Larry Graham  -> Parliament / Funkadelics -
Not sure of the 6 degrees of Springsteen separation but I'm sure it there somewhere.

Of course I have no idea if this makes sense.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

The Traveling Wilburys.

I was a big Tom Petty fan in high school. My brother
said I should check out the Wilburys. Once I listened
to them I realized my favorite songs were the ones this
Bob Dylan guy was singing. The rest is history...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bryan White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks Joe, that was exactly what I was talking about

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

I was going to say Sgt. Pepper. but I grew up with the Beatles, my Mom's favorite band. 

So as a preteen my uncle played for me-

Journey:Escape. Those vocals, the screaming guitar, the bass and drums keeping all going. Turned me from a top 40 listener to Adult Rock. My Uncle gave me the record. 1st print with the embossed cover. 

Joe, Loved Traveling Wilburies. It's really the only Dylan stuff I like.  But Like everyone else already. Especially the vastly underrated Roy Orbison.  And the admiration for Jeff Lynne for everything he did as a producer  is even more amazing than what he did with ELO. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Song: Jokerman (because one Joe Hollon is not enough).

And if I can cheat, movie: Help! I ended up buying my first record thanks to that. That's when it all started.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 6  

When I was real little I only liked John Denver and other country. Then I listened to the Beach Boys and started to like Rock n Roll! This led to the Turtles which led to Dylan and folk rock, and everything just leads to something else....

Vivaldi was my first classical love.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2017 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 7  

A Night At The Opera by Queen,i already loved Bohemian
Rhapsody,but i bought A Night At The Opera with money
earned from my after school/Saturday job,listening to
the album with headphones opened up my interest in good
production and song composition,this in turn lead me to
the likes of Rush and ELO,listening to Hemispheres and
Out Of The Blue with headphones...wow!

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2017 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Emmylou Harris. For me, her voice changed music from "something that was on in the background" to "something that conveys emotion."

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2017 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

Garth Brooks - Friends In Low Places. Before that song came out, I hated 90% of country music. Hank Williams Sr and Jr, Jerry Reed and Kenny Rogers being the exceptions back then.

(I still to this day hate and refuse to listen to Randy Travis or Alabama, because one of my aunts forced me to listen to them a lot. I think Randy Travis just plain sucks, and am burned out on Alabama enough for two lifetimes.)

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2017 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

I never considered John Denver or Kenny Rogers, Oakridge Boys, etc. Cuontry because they were on the Pop charts. 

I have a hard time with most country artists because I am such a believer in the singer/songwriter. So to me Garth Brooks doing Billy Joel's "Shameless" which was a single off the Storm Front Album is just a cover band. Probably a pretty narror view but it is a big influencer of the music I listen to . 

(also sorry if my commentary is out of place, just don't have that many places to talk music about). 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 11  

At different points in my life Sinead O'Connor, Mandy Patinkin, Ani DiFranco, and especially Leonard Cohen were all pivotal for me.

As for country music, I hated it as a kid; too twangy and repetitious, but it was all I listened to throughout junior high school ("The music of pain," as Xander said on Buffy.) The sense of humor and melodrama in many of the songs really spoke to me in those days. Jon Conlee's "I Don't Remember Loving You" was a favorite. It's about a man who drinks to forget the woman who left him and doesn't know who she is by the time she comes back. High School was all Dr. Demento all the time. His two-hour show aired at midnight on Sundays so I was a wreck on Monday mornings if I even showed up to school at all. That was the beginning of the end for me. The end seems to be dragging out for a really long time...

Edited by Brian Hague on 29 January 2017 at 1:04am

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 12  

Hang On St. Christopher by Tom Waits
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 13  

"In The Air Tonight" cost me a fortune.  Not only in all the Genesis, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, and Steve Hackett albums I've bought since, but just in making me love music period.

Michael Wolner Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 14  

RUSH:  Power Windows.
Not only did they become my favorite band the album introduced me to Prog Rock something I had never heard before.  It branched me off into YES, ELP and many many more. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 15  

Michael,Power Windows is my favourite Rush album,so much
going on.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 16  

There have been a few. 

Rush - The spirit of radio - introduced me to this band and just amazing guitars and drums. Followed them ever since.

Brian Eno - Apollo atmnospheres and soundtracks - introduced me to ambient music

The Sisters of Mercy - This corrosion - I knew and liked goth before this but this was the one that sent me over the edge into this music

Cocteau twins - Victoria land - the ultimate fusion of ambient and goth, sending me down the path to my favourite music area and record label - 4AD. Led to Dead can dance, This mortal coil and so much more which then led to others such as Cranes. Beautiful music that touches the soul

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 17  

Nice to see lots of Rush love here!
I'll go with 2112.
Loved how all the songs were connected.
I've owned it in some form all my life.
I have an autographed copy on the wall (not autographed by the band, but by Curtis (Booger) Armstrong).

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 18  

A Night At The Opera by Queen...listening to
the album with headphones opened up my interest in good
production and song composition,this in turn lead me to
the likes of Rush and ELO,listening to Hemispheres and
Out Of The Blue with headphones...wow!

You may be interested to know that Queen and Rush have several albums released on blu-ray audio in 5.1 surround. No special equipment needed, if you already have a blu-ray player (and a 5.1 set-up*).

I just got A Night at the Opera and it's phenomenal!  Kind of hard to find, but worth it.

I also highly recommend Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon Immersion set (blu-ray, CD, etc). This one is not as hard to get, just a little pricey. But also incredible. There was always a plan to have this released with a quadrophonic mix, and a 4.0 mix is included as well as the 5.1.

Similarly, the Who's Quadrophenia has also been released in this format (re-mixed by Pete Townshend).

If you're a fan of critical music listening, you'll love these.

*Even if you just have a stereo set-up, all of these have 2.0 stereo mixes that are the best versions of these albums you'll possibly ever hear.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 31 January 2017 at 3:44pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 19  

I have an autographed copy on the wall (not autographed by the band, but by Curtis (Booger) Armstrong).

Nice.

Is he a Rush fan, too?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 20  

Eric Clapton.

Back in 2009, I was checking out some videos of him on youtube. I ran across one of him playing "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" with that song's originators, The Allman Brothers Band. Now, growing up in a household with no shortage of the blues or rock to listen to, I was, of course, aware of the ABB. I even had a couple of their albums. but, to paraphrase Wesley Snipes, I never listened to them. That changed with the Clapton video. As I found out later, he was sitting in with the band to celebrate their 40th anniversary. They were havin special guests joint them that had actually played with or been friends with the deceased member, duane Allman. Clapton sat in with them for two nights. That one video was like a religious experience for me. I immediately GOT IT. After that, I became near-obsessed with them. I saw them live 6 times from that year until their last in 2014. I have accumulated hundreds of live shows to listen to. And not only that, it opened me up to ar more players than I ever payed noticed to before. Their guitarists Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are top tier as well as Jack Pearson who used to be in the band and still sat in with them fom time to time. ( He did so at my first show!)

In addition, I started really paying attention to the blues music that influenced all these guys. from Blind Willie McTell to T-Bone Walker, from Muddy Waters to Big Bill Broonzy. I submerged myself in the blues for about 2 years.

And from there I went to classic R&B/ Soul music. Stax, Atlantic, Motown. Just the most brilliant music ever made.

This band introduced me to so much that had been in front of me all along that my love for Clapton somehow never encouraged me to check out. It made my guitar playing infinitely better and grew my love of music in ways I can't even express much less thank them enough for. And it all came from me stumbling upon a video I found when I was bored.

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 21  

Is he a Rush fan, too?

American Dad did an episode with lots of nods to 2112.

LINK

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 22  

The first album I remember taking note of, and it was because of its cover, because I was a visually-oriented lad, was Destroyer by KISS.  I had two older brothers, and they would buy albums a lot. So, I'm 6 years old looking at and listening to KISS on a regular basis. These guys looked like weird superheroes! And the music was simple, catchy, fun. I became a fan. And remain one, even now.

I grew up on the pop and rock of the 70's and 80's. Elton John, Billy Joel, Boston, Chicago, Queen, Donna Summer, The Bee Gees -- I knew most of it thru radio, some thru the aforementioned albums at home.

I didn't really become BIG fan of rock music, in general,  til I was about 17 years old.  From 6 - 16, it was mostly KISS and Weird Al Yankovic. I loved novelty records and the Dr. Demento Show. I'm still a big Weird Al fan...just saw him in concert (again) about a year and a half ago. I became a fan right around the time his album In 3-D came out. It dawned on me that there was a lot of talent behind those funny songs.

Something clicked while in high school (as I suppose many things do). I guess it was the guys I hung out with...who were also into KISS...but they liked all these other rock bands, too: Van Halen, AC/DC, Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden...and older bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin. I didn't love all of it....I probably like a lot of it more now than I did when I was "forced" to listen to it.

Though, I did develop a pretty healthy love of Van Halen at that time. One of my older brothers had their first album back when it had come out. I just thought it was noise and didn't bother with it (yeah that's right. The young KISS fan wasn't into Van Halen -- I guess if I'd read the "Special Thanks" column with Gene Simmons at the top of the list, it might have been a different story!)  At that time, the current album was 5150 with Sammy Hagar as the new lead singer. Which I didn't have a problem with, as I had no loyalty to David Lee Roth as a new fan. In retrospect, that first Van Halen album is the best. But I still really like 5150.

Then I went to college and really, besides my undecided major and general studies, became an unofficial student of rock music: The Beatles(!), The Stones, The Who, The Doors, Hendrix, Clapton ...and I revisited some of those bands I used to hear on the radio/on albums at home: The Doobie Brothers, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Alice Cooper, David Bowie...

And I was even rediscovering stuff that hit in my earlier teen years that I had ignored: Prince, Hall and Oates, Genesis...

...and a guy I'd heard a lot from, even as that young boy listening to KISS and novelty records...but never really started listening to up to that point: Billy Joel. Holy crap, what a revelation. It wasn't long before I had his complete catalog on CD. Storm Front was his current release. And I played it front to back many times over. I'd known a lot of his radio hits for a long time, but it's some of the deeper cuts that are really good.

Got into some of the hair-band stuff in the late 80's...Guns and Roses, Cinderella,  Tesla - liked those guys! Their first album didn't have a clunker on it. Heck, by that point, KISS was a hair-metal band (again).

And then, a band called Nirvana hit the scene. That was something different. This wave of bands..."Grunge"...Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots...very good stuff...I loved the album Core by STP. Another one I listened to over and over....

There hasn't been much since that period that's gotten me excited about new music. And jeez...that's been 25 years. Sad. But the old stuff is still around. And I still dig a little deeper, sometimes. I was a hold out on Pink Floyd for awhile, but over the last 20 years, especially, I've learned to appreciate them. Dark Side of the Moon, which I used to think was just weird and boring...I now still think is weird, but genius.

So, to break it down by my personal "landmark" albums:

KISS: Destroyer
Weird Al Yankovic: In 3-D
Van Halen: 5150
Tesla: The Great Radio Controversy
Billy Joel: Storm Front
Stone Temple Pilots: Core
And, retroactively, Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

These aren't necessarily the best albums by any of these artists, just the ones that made me take particular note of that artist...and develop a deeper appreciation for their genre...

...which really, is all just rock and roll. But I like it.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 31 January 2017 at 6:35pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 23  

Brian Rhodes
Yes i have A Night At The Opera in 5.1,The Game too,plus
a load of others,the Rush ones,Tommy,Dark Side Of The
Moon,Dance Of Death by Iron Maiden,Empire by
Queensryche,Once by Nightwish,Jeff Wayne`s War Of The
Worlds,Systematic Chaos and self titled by Dream
Theater,Steven Wilson solo albums etc.
Some are amazing in 5.1 such as the Queen,Jeff Wayne and
Pink Floyd ones,some are disappointing like the Rush
ones!

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 24  

I'm really not into new music, but then someone shared a video by The Warning, a group of teenage sisters who ROCK. They started with great covers, but now are playing original songs and I love them!

New music that excites me is rare, and this is special.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 25  

Yes, I have...

I'm brand new to the High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray world, so I guess I subconsciously assume everyone else is, too.

I only have A Night at the Opera, Dark Side of the Moon, Quadrophenia, and Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road. They are all very good. Overall, Dark Side of the Moon may be the most impressive. Though Bohemian Rhapsody in lossless 5.1 is quite magical.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version