Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Group/Album/Song that changed music for you (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

Brian,I have been collecting for a fair few years,from
SACD(DSOM,War Of The Worlds,Dvd-Audio to Bluray,a few
others are Pet Sounds-Beach Boys,Black Album-
Metallica,Peace Sells-Megadeth,Songs From The Big Chair-
Tears For Fears.
I especially like lstening to 5.1 mixes in a darkened
room or with my eyes shut,you can really hear stuff
previously buried in the mix,and some of the spacial
effects are brilliant,i`m thinking here particularly
DSOTM,A Night At The Opera and War Of The Worlds.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

I especially like listening to 5.1 mixes in a darkened
room or with my eyes shut...

Same.

I had some interest in SACD and DVD-Audio, but found the extra equipment cost- and space-prohibitive.

But since I can play the blu-ray albums on an existing player, I find it's more convenient and cost effective. Of course, selection is limited. Hoping to see continued releases in this format.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was lucky in that i picked up a Dvd/SACD player cheap
years ago,then as you say a Bluray player covers the
rest! Bear in mind that a Bluray player will also play
Dvd-audio discs! A few new releases offer the choice of
5.1 in Dvd or Bluray.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

Yes! Some Wierd Al Love! They say your first concert is the best and for my first Wierd Al show that is very true seeing him at the Kern County fair in Bakersfield CA. He did a full 2 hour set. All the costumes and everything! This was the Alapalooza Tour in 1993

I love live music and Rush's a show of hands I wore out on casette. Power Windows was my 2nd introduction to RUSH the first being Moving Pictures which I did not care for. 

David Bowie Sound and vision tour exposed me to so many different Genres just becuase he seems to change with every album. Earthling got me into Drum & Bass, NIN, and more.  

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 5  

Weird Al is someone who really puts on a show

The Mandatory World Tour had 200 shows over 9 months, according to his website. And yes...a full two-hour show with costume changes...not for every song...but a lot! 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

Sadly the tour was in ATL when I was in Charlotte for HeroesCon. My wife wanted me to do the VIP package with the meet and greet.  I bought a bunch of original art instead. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2017 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

KLF: The White Room (Spun me off into House/Electronica)
Toy Matinee: Toy Matinee (My gateway drug to Prog)
Blood Sweat & Tears: Greatest Hits (Spun me off into Jazz/Blues)

Back to Top profile | search

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 8  

The first time I heard Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety moved me away from mainstream radio/pop and made me a huge Pink Floyd fan. It was fun over the next few years discovering their other albums, especially the pre-Dark side and Syd Barrett era.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

Bear in mind that a Bluray player will also play
Dvd-audio discs!

Did not know that.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2017 at 1:56am | IP Logged | 10  

Yes Brian,think of it the same as playing a dvd movie as
all Bluray players do,with just the sound.The only thing
they don`t do is play SACD 5.1 discs.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

Beatles two-fer:  SGT. PEPPER'S and ABBEY ROAD

After John Lennon's death in Dec. 1980, I of course asked my parents, "Who was John Lennon?  What are the Beatles?"  (I was only 8 at the time.)

For the next year, my father played one or both of these albums just about every time we went for a car ride, and I was hooked from then on.

Back to Top profile | search

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2017 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 12  

My Beatles revelation was upon first hearing the White Album at around 13 or so. I was familiar with all their hits, as anyone my age would have been, but hearing that later sound on the White Album was a musical epiphany for me. It's still one of my favorite albums and I've loved their later sound since then.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2017 at 3:45am | IP Logged | 13  

The Beatles were already the biggest band in the world by the time I was born, so like many of us on the board, I had heard their music literally my entire life. However, most of what I had heard up into my teen years was the most popular top 10 hots (of which there were admittedly many for The Beatles).

I remember when I would hear people say "there will never be another band like The Beatles," I used to think, "Oh, yeah?" I think it was part my ignorance at the time of just how much the Beatles influenced not only music, and song writing, and fashion, and pop culture in general, but I also viewed such proclamations as a generational challenge of a sort. I was unaware then at how much their influence actually impacted nearly everything in pop music (and, really, other music as well), both overtly and in more subtle ways. And what changed my view began from one of the more odd areas of Beatles-lore!

I was still in high school when I was reading a book called "Big Secrets." This book tested and/or revealed the secrets behind such varied things as the secret recipe of Coca-Cola, initiation rituals of the Freemasons, and backwards masking in rock and roll albums. It was that latter subject I particularly found interesting. The book's author rented out a recording studio and tested to see if there was any validity to the claims about hidden messages in rock and roll albums. This was not some religious kook writing the book, so his findings were actually more scientific in approach.

Anyway, there was mention about the Beatles and this rumor, or hoax that Paul McCartney had supposedly died in the 1960s', and this had been covered up, and Paul had been replaced by a lookalike(!!). The story goes that the remaining Beatles put hidden messages on several of their later albums to get the word out about Paul's untimely demise. I didn't believe for a minute that the guy I saw singing "Ebony and Ivory" with Stevie Wonder, or "No More Lonely Nights," among other songs was some fake Paul, even then as a teenager. However, I was fascinated with the whole thing and sought out the albums to hear these "clues."

A funny thing did happen... I listened to those albums and heard music from the band that I never heard before, and that never seemed to get regular play on the radio. I really enjoyed what I was hearing, and I started to buy albums that weren't even associated with the bizarre rumor, and I became a Beatles fan. Not a casual fan, either... they became my favorite band and remain so to this day. I loved the music, and I studied up on the band and I was finally hit with the realization: There never will be another band like the Beatles! I got it, at long last.

Yes, there will likely be some musical artist who breaks one of their records in chart-topping history, or sales (but with the way the musical industry is these days, maybe not so likely anymore). Yes, many other bands have influenced generations, too. Yes, there have been many other pop stars that were greatly innovative and changed the face of music and entertainment on some level, but the Beatles influence was and is truly like no other. They truly changed and made an impact on several facets of pop culture, and even culture in general.

There are musicians to this day that don't even realize how much the Beatles influence them because the Beatles influenced the bands that influenced the musician. The kind of music that is considered pop, and the way it is now recorded, and packaged, and so much more is also a result in part of what the Beatles did in their day.

So, I will always have not only a fascination, but an odd affection for the "Paul is Dead" hoax because as silly as it was (and is... some people out there believe Paul really died back in the day!!), it is the thing that got me to see just how great the Beatles really were and made me a lifelong fan.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 24 February 2017 at 3:50am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 14  

What - you mean you don't believe that Paul is dead...?! All the clues are there! ;^)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 15  

LOL! I know... And so many people online have even more clues to prove who we think is Paul is "Faul" (UGH). 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2017 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 16  

The best Beatles-hoax essay I ever read proved how everyone BUT Paul had died...and the clues are all there! It was facetious, of course, and proved the point of people seeing "clues" wherever they wanted. Confirmation bias.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version