Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Well, goodbye, NASCAR.... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

..for me, anyway. 

Just read this article. 

Words cannot begin to express how stupid I think it is.....

Edited by Brian Floyd on 26 January 2017 at 2:03pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

There are some words in your post that I understand, I think...
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

Yeah. They are trying to do something to keep fans.  Of course football,the king of money making is down 6% this season. I've been to 3 races in Atlanta and enjoyed them a lot. But attendance was sparse. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

Maybe you guys can solve for me a mystery that has puzzled me since childhood, to wit: why do people actually go to auto races? I mean, I could not imagine people going to football or baseball games if the field was on a giant lazy susan that rotated the play past the viewers every couple of minutes. What, then, is the appeal of this sport that basically does exactly that?

Seriously!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

NASCAR is the #1 spectator sport in the U.S., and has been for years. Not sure why they feel the need to tweak things.

I didn't see your post before I posted JB..I was just answering to the "keeping the fans" postulation.

I'm not a fan of car racing , I cannot get into watching cars going round and round for hundreds of miles.

Edited by Doug Centers on 26 January 2017 at 3:43pm

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

I went to a Formula-1 race in Shanghai a few years back. My friend with me was a big fan but had never seen a live race. We left after 30 minutes, him very disappointed. Here comes the car, boy it's loud and fast, there it goes. Repeat over and over again. Boring as hell. 

In the crowd there was a European man with his son, who both excitedly recorded the position of every car during every lap. They were excited over the changes in positions and gushed over how one driver had moved ahead over the other driver after a lap. Car racing, sport of statisticians? 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

ovals are nice becuase you can watch the whole race. It's a lot like baseball to me; well, with hearing loss; Something to do with freinds and family. Plus I grew up watching races on TV with my dad who was a sports reporter early in his career. 

I also like cars that go fast. The low rumble of a V-8 is like music. I think a lot of people like the everyman aspect to the sport. you may not be able to hit a ball or score a touchdown or whatever. But almost everyone drives a car. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 8  

The first five or ten minutes at the race was fun, with the noise and the speed. After that, it just got repetitive. Watching it for hours is beyond me. 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

Like the middle innings of a baseball game. Or the 12th hole of Golf and so on. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

I can see the social aspect of NASCAR, as well as Baseball and Football. Go with a lot of friends, drink beer and eat hot dogs. It's the people who are really into it that confuses me. Football is tediously boring and Baseball is only really exciting when the score depends on one run and its the last inning when every pitch counts. Have never watched a NASCAR race (US only?) but if it is like Formula-1, not exactly thrilling after a while. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

" Football is tediously boring ...."

When you say football do you mean soccer (U.S.)? If so I totally agree!

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

Nope. :) US Football. Six minutes of play and two hours of talking about what happened in the 4 seconds of running 2 yards. Soccer is non-stop. 

Interesting how the rest of the world loves soccer and it is pretty much only North Americans who don't appreciate it. Not being sarcastic. Just curious. I guess its the same with NASCAR. The whole world watches Formula-1 but my understanding is it is not popular in the US. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 13  

Formula-1 (and Indy, as well) `cars' are rocket powered go-carts. 

I believe NASCAR has made too many changes for the worse. The Chase format is idiotic, and the only change they've made in recent years that I actually like is not letting races end under caution anymore.

What I'd like to see them do is something like this:

Last 4 to 6 races of the season are a playoff format. The only eligible drivers are race winners, and (only if there's an odd # of winners) the driver with the most second place finishes (using laps led during the season as a tie-breaker if needed) qualified to win the championship. The playoff format uses points (and each winner gets a starting set of points based on the # of races won - 2nd place finishes, laps led, etc. during the season don't have any effect), with all drivers in the playoff but only points tallied for the drivers who qualify for the championship.

I do not like that someone can win the championship without winning a race just because they're consistent at finishing high. 

Also, I am sick of hearing about Danica Patrick. She's not first woman to drive in NASCAR (Shawna Robertson, Patty Moise, and a few others came before her), rarely finishes anywhere near the top 10, and she hasn't won a race yet, and probably won't. I honestly believe someday there will be a great female driver in the sport (and hope its soon), but its NOT going to be her.

As for Soccer....not a fan. But I'd rather watch it than Hockey. And I'd rather watch a 24 hour Soccer and Hockey marathon than even one hole of Golf. I can understand the attraction of playing Golf, but not watching it. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 26 January 2017 at 6:43pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 14  

I guess it's all in the perception.
Soccer is non-stop running but nothing ever seems to happen. Waiting an hour or more for someone to score or even get a clean shot on goal is mind numbingly boring. 
Though both of my kids played in soccer leagues when they were young, they, like many U.S. kids, moved on to other sports when they got older.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 15  

I don't like Soccer because of the non-stop running, plus the fact a game can end with a 0-0 score. I'll watch it if I have to, but don't go out of my way to watch. I've seen *maybe* 3 games in the last two years.

If anyone cares, my favorite team I guess would be Arsenal. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 16  

See, not liking a sport because it is continuously moving, like Soccer and Hockey, is confusing to me. I find sports where they just talk more than they play, like US Football, tedious. To each his own. 

I agree that golf on TV is the worst. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 17  

John Byrne wrote:
Maybe you guys can solve for me a mystery that has puzzled me since childhood, to wit: why do people actually go to auto races? I mean, I could not imagine people going to football or baseball games if the field was on a giant lazy susan that rotated the play past the viewers every couple of minutes. What, then, is the appeal of this sport that basically does exactly that?

Seriously!

Seriously, they're expecting people to crash.  It's also a big party for people.  Drink beer, get drunk....  even moreso than at a real sporting event.  (I will never consider NASCAR a "sport".)

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 18  

My first Race was the Indy 500 so I've always enjoyed open wheel racing. Sadly, open wheel racing is on it's deathbed in the US.  

I love hockey. because the non-stop action is contained in a small arena. Soccer is too big.

When watching NASCAR  I expect cars to crash. Because they are competing on the razors edge. But it seems like  NASCAR has gotten too far away from its roots.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 19  

You're right, Joe.  They need to get them out on the back roads, fill the trunks up with moonshine, and get the police chasing them!

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 20  

The first NASCAR event I witnessed in person was at Richmond Motor Speedway, which is a half-mile oval track. It was easy to watch the action all the way around the track. It's basically a big party (I've never seen so many intoxicated people in one place before). It was pretty exciting seeing the crashes up close, along with the drama at the end when the driver that had been leading most of the race had a blow out on the last lap, and the next two drivers collided trying to jockey for the finish line. 

I'm not a fan of the new rules. We'll see if they add anymore action or if they just make races 30 mins longer.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 21  

I also don't understand the catch up laps under yellow. 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 22  

My parents were very into racing for years. They used to attend several NASCAR events every year, until costs and age started taking their toll. My dad (my mom died last year) still watches most of the races but says it is too corporate/money compared to the old days of actual "stock cars" racing around the track.

When I was rather young we used to go to races almost every week at local tracks, mostly Sandusky Speedway (Which hosts the Hangover Race on Jan. 1st every year. Yep. A race on the shores of Lake Erie on the first of the year. If you like racing, you've gotta see it at least once.) I watched some of the races, but usually brought a big stack of comics and paper and art supplies to draw my own comics! So in a way going to the track helped make me a big fan of comic books!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 23  

You're right, Joe.  They need to get them out on the back roads, fill the trunks up with moonshine, and get the police chasing them!
+++++

No I mean taking those cars and racing each other.  

I know it's wishful thinking but I would like to see a return to a "stock" car rather than the same car with different stickers on it. 

I do think NASCAR has a big problem in that a number of their stars are getting up in age and retiring. Jeff Gordon last year and Dale Earnhardt Jr. this year for example.  

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 24  

"Did you see that ludicrous display last night?"

also

"The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in."

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2017 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 25  

I used to be friends with a couple that was