Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q4JB: Inking over rougher pencils (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 1  

I like the idea of breakdowns, allowing the inkers to add some creativity to the mix.

••

Unfortunately, at the other end of the spectrum are inkers who treat full pencils as if they are breakdowns, redrawing whatever they feel like. Sometimes, when a talent like Joe Sinnott is at the brush, the result can be very much a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Other times, when it's purely the inker's ego at work, the damage can be great. I have suffered under the latter too many times.

Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 2  

I recall that X-Men#122 (the issue where Storm goes to Harlem), was actually JB breakdowns and Austin finishes, but for the life of me I can't tell the difference in the final product.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 3  

...I can't tell the difference in the final product.

•••

To me it was night and day -- almost literally, as scenes I intended to be dark came out light under Terry's inks. Not surprising, really, since Terry self-identifies as a "tracer". He did not like working on that job.

(It was Terry, mind you, who added all the graffiti on the walls.)

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 4  

This is the page in question... and I DO see the difference.

-C!
Save
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 5  

Bellbottoms!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, Terry also added nipples and that used condom*. (Did that actually make it into the book?)

________

* Or did he not remove it? We played that game a lot.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 6  

Also, note Chris' "half her age" reference. Properly Storm was supposed to be "ageless," but Chris and Dave kept thrusting real world time references into the mix. Linking her to the Suez conflict I found particularly insane. That made her around my age (27 or so, at the time) and, worse, created a fixed point in her history.

I probably shouldn't even mention this. Some idiot at Marvel will leap to do a story establishing Ororo as pushing 70! (Assuming they haven't already.)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 7  

....then again, I am also a person that didn't realize for many years that Terry both pencilled and inked the covers to #s142 and 143.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 8  

Why Artists go grey......

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 9  

Mind you, something did seem "off" with Storm's body and Kitty's face on those respective covers to me, but since the inks were undeniably Austin's, and since he did his best to emulate your pencil style, I didn't think to double-check the credit!

I felt really dumb for not noticing it on my own for so long, since I tend to obsess over this sort of thing :/

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 10  

Excuse my ignorance: the page posted by Charles Valderrama is not the  "breakdowns version"... that's the inked page, right? Since it have all the graffiti on the walls I suppose it is already inked.

So, is the "breakdowns-only" version of that page anywhere so we can take a look and compare them both? Or how do you notice the differences?

Edited by Ariel Justel on 26 January 2017 at 12:04pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Meanwhile, Terry also added nipples and that used condom*. (Did that actually make it into the book?)"

Still there!

Also, "Jefferson Hairlip " -funny

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

Terry said that throughout their time working on Batman, he and Marshall periodically had to meet with Joe Orlando, and Orlando hated their work and always screamed at them both about how awful it was.  This was the existing relationship the two of them had with Orlando.
My jaw is on the floor.  Those Rogers / Austin Detective comics are right near the top of my favorite DC issues of the 70s artwise.   I'd always assumed Orlando worked well with artists since he was an EC artist himself and had edited those gorgeous Swamp Things earlier in the decade drawn by Wrightson, who was otherwise notoriously slow. Wish we could hear Orlando's side of the story but obviously that's not going to happen. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version