Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2017 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So, Snoke may be, presumably, someone Leia, Han and the gang already know. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 March 2017 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

So, Snoke may be, presumably, someone Leia, Han and the gang already know.

Probably Leia's kid from a previous marriage.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2017 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Luke and Leia's secret incest child!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Luke and Leia's secret incest child!

That would explain a lot.

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2017 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Jedi Academy Massacre happened precisely six years before the start of The Force Awakens.

So, according to the new canon, Luke went into self-exile six years ago and thus became a myth to the rest of the galaxy? Really? Talk about making it up as you go along...

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 March 2017 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

STAR WARS has struggled with its own timeline for a long, er, time. When Lucas started asking us to believe the fall of the republic and the rise of the empire happened in Luke's lifetime, and yet the Force had become legend.... Nah. These toys are no fun to play with anymore.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Nothing, nothing produced since Star Wars has backed up the image in Star Wars that the force had passed in to legend. That Jedi are all but forgotten.

It has reached the absolute nadir now with Rebels. In that show you have multiple Jedi/force users running around, openly using the force and lightsabres all over the place, in front of all kinds of people, especially the Empire.

Tarkin must have been really ill informed to make the statement he did in Star Wars and Han, who is portrayed as the type of character that knows what's what, has no clue of what happened when he 18 years old - despite a massive galactic war, involving Jedi/clones and who knows what else taking place at the same time. The guy is now a backwater, village idiot

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

That "myth" thing was problematic from the get go.  Had the Jedi been a Secret Order that defended the galaxy, it would be easier to swallow, but as they were sort of the Cops Of The Galaxy, and they have instantaneous FTL communication, it becomes hard to believe that everyone wouldn't know who they are.

I've noted before that GL's iterative writing process has bit the narrative more than once, and this may be another instance.  It's like he was trying to explain why not everyone  could use The Force, but he couldn't decide if it should be "secret knowledge" or if it was inheritable.  In the case of the Sith, he opted for both.

BTW, I don't think that all the connections between the characters are in any way "making it up as they go," --far from it.  Disney seems to be adopting an "everything is connected" approach that they are using in the MCU.  How well that plays depends on how well the individual stories are written, but they're definitely connecting dots.  E.g., in the (canon) SW Rebels, they've already put the Darksaber from Clone Wars into the Mandalorian character Sabine's hand--the exact weapon that Maul used to kill Mandalorian Duchess Satine (Kenobi's gf).  That connects The Ancient Jedi, Maul, Kenobi, and Satine directly to Sabine.

It seems the fans are more interested in Text than Subtext anyway, so Disney's giving them plenty of Text.  For many fans, being steeped in the lore is half the fun.

I was having a SW "fan" conversation with someone at work recently, and a female co-worker who was listening came up and said, "if you put that much effort into understanding a woman, she'd feel like a queen!"

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I disagree Conrad. The myth only really becomes a problem once the span of time is significantly altered - into living memory.

Has it been around 100 years, it would stack up better. But then again, maybe you are right as if that was the case, how could Kenobi have served Leia's father in the Clone Wars. Hmmm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Longer lifespans?

(Was that a trick question?)

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Most of the exact time line is known (including stuff I mentioned above):

Obi-Wan Kenobi was born in 57 BBY
The Clone Wars began 22 BBY
Kenobi and Satine's "Voyage of Temptation" episode was in 21 BBY
Sabine Wren was born in 21 BBY
Duchess Satine Kryze (killed by Maul) died in 19 BBY
The Clone Wars ended in 19 BBY
Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa were born in 19 BBY
Battle of Yavin in 0 BBY (also death of Bail Organa)
Kylo Ren was born in 5 ABY
Rey was born 15 ABY (abandoned on Jakku ~5 years later?)
Kylo Ren's revolt sometime after 28 BBY
TFA occured in 34 ABY

Bail Organa's birth year is not known.  Though Jimmy Smits was 50 during ROTS, for what that's worth.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just finished the last book in the new canon Aftermath Trilogy, Empire's End. It explains a few things about The Force Awakens, but I don't know that they improve the story or just make it needlessly more complicated.  I'll try to sum up (Spoilers ahead if you plan on reading the book).

Palpatine had life quest to chart the unknown reaches in order to find the "origin of the Sith"  He put observatories all over the Outer Rim.  One of these installations is under the ground on Jakku, however, he built it around an existing laboratory of ancient origin that contains computers that have been working for centuries to...map the unknown reaches of space.  His acolyte (Gallius Rax who if you haven't read these books would take far too long to explain) speculates that the technology dates to The Old Republic or the Ancient Sith Empire.  It also mentions that Palpatine doted on Thrawn because he knew some routes through the uncharted reaches.

Palpatine had started receiving a signal from deep in the unknown reaches that only he could hear. (People speculate this signal was from Snoke).

At the same time, a cult called the Acolytes of Beyond, are collecting Sith artifacts and are being corrupted by them.  They also receive visions about ancient Sith.  (People speculate they become the Knights of Ren).  They started out as weirdos spraypainting "Vader Lives" on walls, but they are guided by one of the Emperor's "Imperial Dignitaries" who is a non-force Sensitive believer in the dark side. 

Palpatine had a contingency plan in place should he fall.  He uses a space-chess metaphor to explain that none of the pieces deserve to exist if they failed to protect the King.  Therefore his contingency plan involves manipulating the remaining Imperial forces to gather at Jakku and luring the New Republic into attacking them and destroying them. Meanwhile his chosen few are given coordinates in the unknown reaches to meet up with a Super Star Destroyer he stashed out there and start the new Imperial order.  (Including Brendol Hux, a guy who believes children should be kidnapped and trained to be fanatical killers.  He is the father of Hux from TFA). 

After the New Republic wins the battle of Jakku, Mas Amedda (the blue horned guy chancellor sidekick guy from the prequels) is finally broken out of where he's been arrested (By Gallius Rax) and he surrenders the Imperial government to the New Republic. The same day Leia gives birth to bouncing baby Ben.

Starkiller Base was already out there, and wasn't built by the First Order.  Snoke seems to have led them to it. 

One final thing that was a little dumb:  There are some church of the force guys (similar to Donnie Yen's character in Rogue One) who are returning Kyber Crystals to the caves where they belong.  One of them reads from the Journal of the Whills, and it has a poem that actually has the line "The Force binds us all, from a certain point of view."  It's a cheesy way to retcon what was basically already a retcon.

Anyway, there are some YouTube videos you can watch if you want to get more tie-ins without reading the books. (the Star Wars Explained channel has some for each book). 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Y'know, I understand that the old EU has its dedicated fans, but I've just never been big on all of the quantifying and fleshing-out that it brought to the STAR WARS universe. How the technology works, detailed chronologies, giving every background character a detailed history, etc.

All of that nuts-'n-bolts stuff seems much more STAR TREK-ish. I don"t really need to know how hyperdrives and lightsabers work, or exactly how many years passed between films, or the internal politics of the Incom starfighter corporation.

I think STAR WARS works best as breezy, whiz-bang fun. Getting bogged down in the details can detract from the magic of it. Not to say that the details don't have merit, of course. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Conrad - I'm not t;king bout the current timeline. I'm talking about the implied timeline in Star Wars. In 1977

JB - it was a trick question, sorry

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I still think that Chuck Wendig and the Lucasfilm Story Braintrust just spent three long novels explaining what could have been summed up in a competently written opening crawl.

Edit to add:  There are hints that Thrawn is on the Super Star Destroyer that Palpy stashed out in the unknown reaches.  Maybe we'll learn something in the new Thrawn novel.  There's an exceprt where Thrawn muses on threats from outside the galaxy.  I really *really* hope they don't bring in the Yuzhan Vong. 

Edited by Jozef Brandt on 07 March 2017 at 3:05pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version