Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Star Wars Ep. VIII:The Last Jedi - SPOILERS begin Pg 12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ben has never lied to Rey, not once.  And once again Rey herself said who her parents were.  He just finally made her admit it out loud and to herself.  She's always known the truth about who they were.  Whether they're alive or not they aren't coming back for her.   Hail even Maz way back in TFA said so; "the belonging you seek isn't behind you it lies ahead."   
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mark Haslett:
But hasn't the Force been hard at work
across the Galaxy, binding the universe
together, etc.? Snoke has sure been busy
using the Dark Side of it for years before
Rey shows her abilities. How would the
title "The Force Awakens" refer to the
Galaxy?
=========
Mind you, this is just my theory.
The force HAS always been there, I dont
know about hard at work, binding the
Galaxy together. I referring to a force
user's ability to access it. Imagine that
the force is a glass of water filled to
the brim. For thousands of years, force
users have only been touching the surface
tension. Now Rey comes along. She breaks
that surface tension and now everyone can
reach deeper into the glass.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm not sure I follow the logic of how that would make it the Force which has awakened or what the difference would be in contrast with the title referring to Rey.

One thought that was pointed out to me is that, since this movie says Luke detached from the Force, it is possible that the "principle" of balance in the Force meant that Luke's portion was put back into the pot, so to speak, when he did that.

This may have created an "imbalance" which caused the rise of Rey out of nowhere to "use up" his portion and restore balance.

MARK castILLON
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My question is how is it possible to fix this movie for the diehards that are heartbroken?

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

With this movie, I think the "Saga" concept is broken. There's no real "trilogy" being formed. The only meaningful thing left to "conclude" would be Kylo Ren's fate. If they paddle enough with that oar, it might sort of end up like a trilogy.

Right now, though, Star Wars 7,8,9 feel like they will end up as much a trilogy as James Bond's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", "Diamonds Are Forever", and "Live And Let Die". 3 movies with some of the same characters.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think Haslett nailed it.  I think with minimal prodding, TFA can be woven into the Saga.  (And again, the entire "new canon" media output of the Star Wars story team actually linked TFA up with the OT fairly well).  Rian Johnson's EP8 takes all of those numerous plot threads and just takes a machete to them. That's why I think any attempt by Abrams to regain those other plot threads is going to end up in catastrophe. 

I am not a fan of JJAbrams, but at least TFA was a competently made movie, with a tight script and a good pace to it.  I *was* a fan of Rian Johnson, and own three of his movies (Brick, Looper, Brothers Bloom) and think he made a poorly paced, nonsensical, glossy turd, whose shifts in tone are mind-boggling.  He managed to make the Star Wars galaxy seem smaller.  I really hope that the signs that Lucasfilm was "walking back" its news that Johnson has been granted the next trilogy turn out to be true. 

Increasingly the defense of The Last Jedi is that fanboys can't stomach women and people of color, but to me that's ludicrous.  They are invoking the Ghostbusters defense to try to salvage a movie whose merits cannot stand on their own. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The details of the Last Jedi novelization are dribbling out.  Supposedly they are going to explain Snoke's backstory and that Luke had a love interest. 

I think it's interesting that when The Force Awakens was released in theaters, the novelization e-book dropped the *same* day.  The three month delay for the TLJ novelization gives them time to try to patch up plot holes and compensate for some of the fan backlash.  I'm very curious to see how much tapdancing they do.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I still don’t think “fan backlash” is anywhere near as big a factor in
anything Lucasfilm is doing as the internet echo chamber may think.
The March release date of the novelization was planned at least as far
back as September.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Which easily falls into the time frame of them realizing that they were in for trouble with Rian Johnson's movie. 

So far, the leaked chapters include Luke's love interest "Cammie" and far more than you ever wanted to know about Snoke.  It remains to be seen how many of the Star Wars story team's plot threads the book will attempt to resolve. 

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

What trouble exactly? The billion dollars in box office? The near
universal critical acclaim? Or some, probably very few, Star Wars “fans”
who complain online?

Stevie Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

More likely they delayed the novelization to fight off spoilers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The trouble I am referring to is that the Star Wars story team has shaped the New Canon so unlike the old EU, there is coherence.  All of the New Canon novels, comics, short stories, etc, actually culminated in The Force Awakens, so at the very least, everything at least made sense and didn't contradict itself.  (whether it was compelling is another argument). The Last Jedi either tosses away or fails to pick up about 99% of the threads from the new canon.  So that is why for TFA they dropped the novelization on e-book the day the movie premiered in the US.  There is very little in the novelization that isn't in the movie.  (I recall only that the difference between the New Republic and the Resistance is explained better, and the Starkiller base hyperspace weapon is explained better).  Because of planning and synergy, that book was able to drop on the premiere date.  Daisy Ridley has already talked about JJ's treatments for the rest of the sequel trilogy, and how Rian Johnson threw them away. 

That is why there is such a delay built into the novelization because they have a lot of cleaning up to do to try to pull TLJ back into the new canon, which up until Rian Johnson's script, had actually had a meta-plot shape to it.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Ridley said there were drafts written by JJ that were not used, but also that there was "general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy".

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Ummmm...no I don’t think so. I don’t see how Last Jedi “tosses” any of
the new cannon out. A number of tie-ins (the Phasma novel and comic
and the Leia novel) build up a number of background elements of the
movie. In fact, for me, it made Force Awakens (which I already liked) a
deeper, more nuanced movie.

I would also agree with Stevie that they probably were just looking to
avoid spoilers, and the new material (I would guess) just builds on the
number of deleted scenes that’ll be in the Blu-ray. Occam’s Razor
applies.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Snoke was hinted at in all three volumes of the Aftermath Trilogy.  Snoke being the guy who was unceremoniously tossed aside by Rian Johnson. 

Luke was headed in a completely different direction in his new canon appearances.

The Phasma novel is about 99% irrelevant.  Did you read it?  There was actually more that turned out to be unknowingly relevant in the YA book "Before The Awakening" the one that explains that Rey is an expert pilot because she salvaged a flight simulator. Uh huh. 

The Leia novel has zero bearing on The Last Jedi.  In that book she was seeing elements of the New Republic involved in the creation of the First Order so at the end she bands together with her old rebel pals, most importantly, Admiral Ackbar, the guy who was killed off screen on TLJ.  Bloodline just reinforces TFA and has no bearing on TLJ.

I did locate an article that said that the novelization was "delayed 3 months" but gave no other information.  Delay seems to imply an original release date.  Shrug.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I always thought Luke had minimal training to become a Jedi. Rey proves that Obi Wan was consistent in Jedi being liars. Jedi do not need to start training young, no need to learn to fight with a Lightsaber, moving heavy objects needs no practice and concentration, mind push is easy as chewing gum,control is an afterthought. All you need is power, a little instinct and you are the greatest Jedi Ever.

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2018 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Well, according to an article I just read, apparently the reason Rey was such a master of the Force without any training is that she stole/absorbed the knowledge from Kylo Ren without either of them even realizing it. The connection that they shared in TLJ was there from the beginning. All of this comes from the novelization of the movie. Nothing screams great movie/story telling like having to explain everything in the adaptation of the movie. 

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The Digital Bits reviews STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI disc: 

As someone who was very disappointed in TLJ, I found some of Bill Hunt's comments something to chew on...

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The novelization also says there's a "cosmic force" as well as the "living force" which is influencing events. 

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2018 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The novelization also says there's a "cosmic force" as well as the "living force" which is influencing events.
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------

Of course there is, because ya know... the guy who created all of this didn't know what he was doing. 

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

>>Of course there is, because ya know... the guy who created all of this didn't know what he was doing. <<

The term/concept was introduced in a novel (Coruscant Nights III) in 2009, back when GL had full control of and approval of such things. It became canon when it appeared in Clone Wars.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Yes, the cosmic force is in both THE CLONE WARS and REBELS. The novel did not create it.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

The unifying nature of the Force is undone if the Force itself is split into two. One of the worst ideas since midichlorians, Lucas-approved or not. 

Another bad idea was making Obi-Wan a liar. But, at least it gives an opening for the Force to be pretty much not what he said it was.  

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Not saying I like it Brian, just that this cosmic force thing is not new.

I’ve been against the ever changing nature of the force since TPM which first mentioned the ‘living’ force - what’s that then? And of course midichlorians. At least those have vanished.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I'll be picking up the Blu-ray for my son's Easter basket... I'm looking forward to revisiting it again, and wondering what my wife's reaction will be (who somehow missed it in the theaters this past winter).

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version