Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: DC’s "Powerless" - are you SERIOUS? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2017 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

On Thursdays on NBC, now DC has a a new sitcom called "Powerless." It is based in not just any super hero universe, but in the DCU.

From the commercials, it seems to be completely mocking the super hero genre...
Character 1: "Is it a bird? Is it a plane?"
Character 2: "You really can't tell the difference between a bird and a plane?"

Apparently one of the supporting characters is Bruce Wayne...
"THE Bruce Wayne?"
"Yup. Well, his cousin, Bruce T. Wayne" (or some such.) Played as a complete dolt.

I'm not all that fond of idiotic treatment of a super hero universe*, and especially not when it's done seriously... but DC IS MOCKING ITS OWN PRODUCT AND BRAND!

Do they not have four successful TV franchises on the CW? Are they not desperately trying to establish a movie franchise? After "Man of Steel" and "Batman vs Superman", do they REALLY need to kick themselves in the balls?

My wife thinks it looks funny, so I may end up watching the first episode or two before I have a good excuse to skip it. But DC REALLY need to tear ITSELF down? Aren't there plenty of critics to do that...?

*Yes, I do love "Not Brand Echh" - but that was very obviously a non-realistic satire. No one EVER thinks that Spider-Man or Wolverine will ever meet Charlie America or the Mighty Sore...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 January 2017 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Fanboy ennui continues to rule.

I almost feel bad for them. Imagine being a plumber who was utterly embarrassed about being a plumber.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2017 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

And like many bad jokes badly done, the one quoted above gets what it is mocking wrong. In the famous "Is it a bird?" "Is it a plane?" bit, two different people are speaking. One thinks the figure flying swiftly overhead might be a bird. The other thinks it might be a plane. Two people. Two interpretations of what they're witnessing; Not one idiot throwing out wild, contradictory theories. This show already sucks from the very first thing I've heard about it. 

Back to Top profile | search | email

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2017 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I really do hope this show gets canned after the first week.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2017 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well this sounds cringe-worthy...

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2017 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'll give anything with Danny Pudi in it a shot.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I love Alan Tudyk, but this just looks awful. I haven't enjoyed any of the DC shows, but yeah, no way this lasts a full season.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Insurance adjusters dealing with the aftermath of superhero battles seems like material that would just about sustain a 7 minute SNL skit, but an ongoing series?  I was tired of the premise before the end of the trailer.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"Insurance adjusters dealing with the aftermath of superhero battles seems like material that would just about sustain a 7 minute SNL skit, but an ongoing series?"

Too bad that is no longer the premise of the show.

Now...it's set in 'Wayne Security' (yes, THAT Wayne) in a place called 'Charm City' (ugh).  And Alan Tudyk is supposed to be a relative of Bruce Wayne.  Let that sink in.

They work in a lab that creates 'stuff' to protect people from the hazards of superheroes battling the bad guys.  So you get an umbrella that super sturdy to protect you from falling debris...and other such 'witty' gags.

Yeah.  I keep meeting people that wanna tell me DC/WB/CW (and now NBC) 'stuff' is as tight and appealing as the MCU efforts.  But I keep pulling aces like 'Powerless' out of the deck to prove my point.  

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 17 January 2017 at 11:34am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2017 at 2:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I haven't seen Powerless yet, but I fear that the only thing DC is doing right in the media, their TV shows, may turn all turn out wrong in the end. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 January 2017 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

We see in this the inevitable pendulum swing. There still dwells in Hollywood the memory of the Adam West "Batman" series being a "huge hit," so despite successful "serious" superhero ventures, there will always be the assumption in somebody's mind that comedy would make even more money.

All this despite the fact that the 1966 "Batman" crashed and burned in the equivalent of two seasons.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have yet to see anything live action from DC that has interested me.  Alan Tudyk interests me in most any role I have seen.  His take on the teenage camping horror flick with Tucker and Dale Vs Evil is among my favorites. So I will likely check this out for him.  But I don't know if I am interested in the DC tie-in part at all.  

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2017 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

"Hey, let's do a show like THE OFFICE, but only with super-heroes in the mix!!  We can have all the ordinary people doing all sorts of wacky things and reacting to all that super stuff!  It'll be kewl!"

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Nothing really shocks me after Gotham-> hey, let's do Batman but without Batman. And from there it will be a no holds barred scenery chewing contest with a new plot theme each week.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2017 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Sadly, I know people looking forward to it. 

Alan Tudyk being in it is the only reason I'd even give it a look....if I actually planned to.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Superhero movies and TV are mainstream. Everyone knows them and their conventions, and movie studios know that parody movies are a niche market at best. This looks like Better Off Ted with the added hook of DC branding and a couple of recognizable actors from shows with huge cult followings.

I think the real shame here is that we probably can't get a Damage Control series on Netflix now.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2017 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I quite like the opening credits.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I saw it.  It had "pilot" written all over it.  I like the cast.  But it's not off to a good start.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Dead on arrival. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Looks like the ratings for the first episode weren't that great.

http://www.cbr.com/powerless-debuts-mediocre-ratings/

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The pilot I saw was the second pilot.  So it apparently started even weaker than that.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

POWERLESS may prove to be a miscalculation. When the Adam West BATMAN series debuted, comics, and superhero comics in particular, were mostly viewed with contempt by the general public. They were for kids, and not very bright kids at that. So, for a short time at least, the 1966 BATMAN was viewed as something like a Lichtenstien plagiarism -- something that elevated dross to High Art.

But the past couple of decades have seen superheroes raised to a level of respect previously unknown even in the best of times for comics. Audiences accept superhero movies at face value, as special effect loaded actions adventure films. Even comic fans, many of whom are known for extreme anal retentiveness when it comes to the books themselves, rush to embrace film versions that ignore or trash the source material.

In other words, the "world" may not be ready for a series that makes fun of the whole concept.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I thought I would like it. But having every single character throw out one liners and zingers every second got old real quick.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Robert Shepard hit on why I didn't care for it... as well as why I pretty much don't care for many of the modern day sitcom fare... damn near EVERY character is written to be the funniest person in the room. When there's no 'straight man' to play against, it gets tiresome to presume that the FUNNIEST CHARACTERS EVER are the focus of any given show.

I think it's saving grace was that it didn't have a laugh track. Given my predisposition against newer sitcoms, I had a hard enough time judging it against that aspect of the show, regardless of the high-concept "Hey, let's set the Office in the DC Universe" trappings.

But what's the shelflife of a series that's sole purpose is to be a comedy derived from and geared towards what, at best, is a niche genre audience? The Wayans and other filmmakers can barely get 90 minutes out of a Scary Movie/Super Hero Movie without milking the jokes dry.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2017 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Even if the first episode was brilliant (it wasn't), how do you make an ongoing series out of what is essentially a one-note joke?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version