Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: (Creative) Universe Shrinking (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

Pertinent article on how storytelling suffers from navel-gazing! Lots of editors and showrunners should take note!

Link!
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

Wow...is there any movie in that article that isn't spoiled?  Read at your own risk.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 3  

I agree with the point of the article, that it seems with most serial fiction that everything is eventually connected to the protagonist. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

There are a gajillion other examples of this, from the Joker having killed Bruce Wayne's parents in the Tim Burton Batman, to the first story-arc in All-Star Batman recently in which Harvey Dent and Bruce Wayne now spent a year of their childhoods together.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 5  

An insightful piece, it explains how I'd been feeling about a lot of current media.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Remember Batman and Tommy Elliot in Hush?

Another example that cames to mind is Superman Origin from Geoff Johns where Clark Kent and Lex Luthor are both from Smalville and they met when they were young.

What is the problem with antagonists meeting as adults? :P

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Interesting read. It really does hit upon a lot of pet peeves I have with the way a lot of stuff is written these days. I've always referred to it as "story inbreeding".Star Wars is the best example of it all, I'm not sure how the universe survived so long without Skywalkers doing something. The fact that you couldn't even have a common translator droid without it having been made by a Skywalker was prob the high of it.

I'd love to see a lot more unconnected things, the world is a very large place.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

Star Wars is the worst at this considering it encompasses the entire GALAXY. Then again, that leads in to another common sci-fi movie problem: director's don't grasp the enormity of the galaxy. JJ Abrams is especially terrible at this.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 9  

Stephen Moffat has the opposite problem, hinted at in the 'Sherlock' example, but re-applied to DOCTOR WHO: shouting that EVERYTHING THAT EVER HAPPENS IS THE WORST THING THAT WILL DESTROY THE UNIVERSE IN THE HISTORY OF THINGS THAT WILL DESTROY THE UNIVERSE!...
...and then..nothing...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

Ariel Justel wrote:
...Another example that cames to mind is Superman Origin from Geoff Johns where Clark Kent and Lex Luthor are both from Smalville and they met when they were young...

I agree, but in fairness it should be pointed out that Johns was just restoring the Silver-Age mythology where Superboy knew Lex Luthor as a teen.

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Very good article, and great points around narcissism and globalisation - but this is then fiction becoming bogged down in too much 'realism', which seems to have been the trend for some time.

What we badly need is more escapist, imaginative stories for these long-standing characters ; I don't want my entertainment to always have to feature the 'real' world, or some slant thereon, or a post-modern clever clever version of why heroes and villains aren't that different. I can look at the TV news for that.

Equally, I don't want overworked links that forcedly tie in all characters together ( agreed - Star Wars is a great example of this poor practice - the continuity being 'supplemented' to such an extent during the time films weren't being produced that eventually virtually everyone seemed to know everyone else. Might as well have been a small town far, far away )

Preaching to the converted I know, but when I look at comics, our host has one of the consistently best records of coming up with new plots that are fun, escapist, and respectful to the characters involved, whether old or new. I've just been re-reading Trio and Triple Helix, both of which I'd highly recommend as top examples of fresh storytelling. Generations similarly, or Batman / Captain America

I'll reserve judgement on Sherlock until Sunday's episode - Moffat being Moffat, the denouement will not be straightforward, I'm sure.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 13 January 2017 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 12  

Sums up my feelings about the latest Sherlock episodes.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version