Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Animated Trek Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2017 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What's everyone's opinion of the animated Star Trek series from the 70s? I was a Saturday morning cartoon watching kid at the time but somehow missed it.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2017 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'd seen a few episodes in reruns when I was just a child. It wasn't until the DVD release--in 2006--that I had a chance to really get to know TAS.

All in all, it was akin to finding money on the sidewalk--NEW STAR TREK! With the real actors' voices! 

The show doesn't quite reach the level of the live-action series, but it's very authentic and true to TOS. Some episodes are quite good, others are okay, and a few are rather poor. The entire series is definitely worth a look, although the limited animation and repetitive music cues can be a bit much, if you watch too many episodes at a time. The music will stay in your head for weeks.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2017 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was a fan back in the day. My mom was a Trekker (not Trekkie, thank you) whose only connection to the larger world of Star Trek was through fanzines and her letters to and from the creators of those. Here was Star Trek, happening live on our screen every Saturday Morning. Unfortunately, Mom's schedule was such that she couldn't be up to watch it, but I was intensely involved in keeping her up to date on everything that happened, whether she wanted to know or not. I mean, this was Star Trek! New! What she and so many of her pen pals wanted, right? Well, not exactly, as it turned out. The general consensus was that it was still kids stuff somehow. See also: the Star Trek comics I kept giving her to read. ("Uhura isn't a blonde in this one, is she?") Sigh... It is so hard to keep parents in the loop sometimes... :-)

Overall, I think the series holds up fairly well, given the inherent budget limitations. Greg is correct. You can't binge-watch the Animated Star Trek and expect to remain sane. Like Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya. But where else can you see Uhura in the center seat and Kirk & Spock as mer-people? The first appearance of the holodeck (herein called "the rec room?") Giant pink tribbles and horrifying, tribble-eating Glommers? Robert April in command of the Enterprise and a twelve-foot tall Spock? It's all here, waiting for you...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Something else which will stick with you--those flying purple creatures which appear in multiple episodes, and make a familiar, stock-sound-effects bird-screeching sound. The boys over at THE POST-ATOMIC HORROR PODCAST lovingly refer to them as "dickbats", and I'm now hard-pressed to call them anything else. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Star Trek animated can be seen on Netflix if you have it (well, it could as of a couple months ago... dunno what the story is now.)

There are a lot of reused shots and musical tags. Animation and music are expensive, so Filmation reused what they could to save costs. This is not a condemnation... EVERYBODY cut costs on animation where they could. It was a different era, and not everyone (as in only Disney... MAYBE) had a big budget. People complain about the repetition, and while I don't like it, I appreciate the conditions.

It IS hard to watch more than two or three episodes in a row... but it's a pretty fun ride, and the voice actors and some not-so-bad writing make it worth your time, I think.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Unfortunately, Mom's schedule was such that she couldn't be up to watch it.

Appointment TV. Seems so long ago...

And ALL the Star Trek series are on Netflix right now, including TAS.

And the one movie, because no one demanded it, NEMESIS.

I remember TAS being on, but never sitting down to watch it. Based on some pretty decent talk about it (some here), I got the DVD set. I've watched 5 or 6 episodes, so far. Basic animation and not-so-great music, but having the originals back on board (ha!) is nice.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 11 January 2017 at 9:29am

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I purchased 2 of the VHS tapes when Paramount first put them out. "The Slaver Weapon" (written by Larry Niven) is one of my favorite Star Trek episodes.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Bought the DVDs last year. Still haven't watched them as yet as I've still to watch TOS Blu Rays I bought.

Too much travelling.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I remember reading the Alan Dean Foster `Captain`s Logs`
volumes,which were novelisations of the animated
stories,they were very good.I suspect the actual
animatied series won`t hold up too well in the animation
dept.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2017 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't have the Internet at home right now but when I do, I will probably check them out (and many other things) on Netflix. I can relate to the concept of Appointment TV, too. I started watching reruns of Classic Trek with my mom and brother on Saturday evenings,often with dinner. She was a working single mom at the time and it was something we looked forward to. I guess the availability of shows through the Internet, Demand TV and DVR could allow family members to plan get-togethers for a particular show at their convenience if they put their minds to it.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version