Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: 100 Little-Known Facts About Comic Books (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 1  

"I was appalled by the storytelling on page six of this comic and fired off an email to you saying so. You can imagine my relief when this problem was resolved on page 13! I look forward to there being no problem with the final seven pages, now that you have heeded my suggestion."
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

You're kidding, Andrew, but in pre-email days I'd get a letter very much like that every few months!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Steve Ditko was slated to draw a “Batman: Black and White” back-up story in Batman: Gotham Knights #7 written by John Arcudi. But when he got the script, which featured Batman fighting a motorcycle gang, he refused, stating only, “Bikers are a negative element in society.” John Buscema eventually drew the story."

••••••

Now THAT i did not know!

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 04 January 2017 at 1:56pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne wrote:
...Since the rise of the Direct Sales Market in the Seventies, I've seen increasing instances of the retail level being considered part of the creative level. The retail level is of immeasurable importance, obviously, but this strikes me as akin to awarding an Oscar for theater management...

Hey, I have owned a shop and acted with puppets, surely that is of immeasurable historical and general importance to the comics industry at large? Hrumph!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

JB: You're kidding, Andrew, but in pre-email days I'd get a letter very much like that every few months!

Ye gods... Makes me think that opening fan mail was akin to working in bomb disposal, only without the hazard gear.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

Ye gods... Makes me think that opening fan mail was akin to working in bomb disposal, only without the hazard gear.

••

When I was working on FANTASTIC FOUR I would routinely receive about 500 letters a month. About half of those were actually legible -- some fans had a fascination with odd combinations of paper and ink colors, plus handwriting was abominable -- and of what remained, most were polite and civil. Those that were typed moved immediately to the top of the list of candidates for publication. SO much easier to read.*

It was around this time that the Whim of Iron issued an edict, published on the Bullpen Bulletins page, of course, ordering all of us to read ALL the letters we received. No thanks. I'm an artist. I NEED my eyes.

(Some of you may recall a brief storm in a teacup when I mentioned in an interview that the letters I'd been receiving were so poor I actually spent a few months doing fake lettercolumns, conflating the good parts from several otherwise unusable missive to create five or six that were printable. Of course, it was assumed that I was getting mostly negative mail, and refusing to publish same, but in fact the opposite was true. A writer for one fan publication had done a column on How to Get Your Letter Published at Marvel, and for the next year or so we got mountains of letters based on this model -- all vacuous praise and flattery. What Roger Stern dubbed the "Dear John, me am think you great" school of letter writing.

(So I concocted letters more like what we wanted to get -- letters that commented on the stories, the character arcs, the art, the writing, and did so in both positive and negative ways. Eventually the writers took the hint and I was receiving usable mail again.)

* One writer/editor got in trouble for automatically building his lettercols out of typed mail -- without bothering to read the letters!!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 7  

Back in those days, it seems to me that Marvel was running more than a single page of letters--maybe two or even three? That's a lot of work digging through fan mail to find ones suitable for publication, much less asking cogent questions that allow for a response.

Getting 250 workable letters per month gives plenty of fodder, I'd guess, but that's still lots of effort. And being required to *read* 500 or so letters per month? Wow. When would you have time to do the book?

Probably the very best way to inspire letter writers, to show them what kinds of letters get read and answered, is to do exactly as you did, JB: lead by example.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 8  

Just opening 500 envelops sounds like a chore. Would all the letters be held for a single monthly package, JB or were you getting a little bit each week?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 9  

Reminds me of the first time I wrote a letter to a comic book, for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (and it got published!)...

It was 1984, I was only 12 years old... and I wrote out the letter in pencil. On graph paper!!

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

For those of you who are interested, here's a link to Part 3 (the final portion)

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 11  

When I was younger I thought all the letters were read and published by Stan Lee. Then later on I thought the editor picked and chose the letters to be published. It's only recently I realised that the writer or artist chose the letters.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version