Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne’s X-Men or Fantastic Four? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 1  

Let it go, guys. I think we have a pretty obvious "Let's you and him fight" scenario playing out here.
Back to Top profile | search

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 2  

Fred J Chamberlain, thanks for your answers.

I didn't ask JB directly because I know he doesn't like to be asked about things that were already covered and since I'm new to the forum I'm not sure if this was covered before.

I will go ahead and I will create a new thread asking him this things directly to him.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 3  

Ariel, your English here seems clear:

QUOTE:
Is John Byrne mad or bitter with Chris Claremont for any particular reason? It seems that Byrne usually makes fun of Claremont or remember some anecodote that makes fun of him (and not always in a goog light). [...] And I think that the X-Men are universally more popular than FF so I can fully grasp if the people here are trying too hard to please John Byrne (or side with him) or are too "fans" of his work.

To assume that anybody here condemns Chris Claremont in order to praise John Byrne is fundamentally disrespectful to every poster who offered his opinion -- and obviously to John Byrne, who hosts and maintains this website, as well.

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne, I think you're completely wrong with that "Let's you and him fight" idea of an scenario here. I was just trying to understand some things... I didn't want to sound rude or something like that.

I don't see nothing wrong with the interactions with Jeff Scott and Fred Chamberlain. Michael Penn maybe felt some rudeness from my part that I instantly tried to resolve. So this is no "let's fight" scenario.

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 5  

John Byrne, I will use this opportunity to ask you directly as other members has recommended...

1) Are you mad or bitter with Chris Claremont for any particular reason? At least to me, it seems that a lot of your comments about him usually makes fun of Claremont or remember some anecodote that makes fun of him (and not always in a goog light).

2) Do you agree with the criticism being shown here regarding Claremont writing?

3) Are you surprised that almost every poster in the thread prefer your FF run over your X-Men run? I mean, the X-Men run didn't put up a fight in the contest.

Thanks in advance and no malice intented here!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

I pick the X-Men every time, since I see it as the definitive run of the entire series. Kirby will always own the FF, but I'm not sure anything ever really topped the Byrne-Claremont X-Men on that title (although if I'd discovered the Thomas-Adams X-Men first, I'm sure I'd be making the argument for that run). 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

I, too, prefer JB's FF over his X-Men.  But, just like my preferences for some flavors of ice cream over others, that's all it is: a preference.  It shouldn't be construed as an insult to the flavors I prefer less or not at all.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 8  

Fantastic Four simply because that is the one I collected from the beginning of JB's run. I only bought 3 of the X-men issues from Claremont and JB (Memorial, the 1st issue of DOFP, and the Kitty Christmas issue) before he was gone. In either case, it was JB's ability to humanize the characters, while still keeping the issues action packed, that won me over. FF was my first full exposure to that, so it wins.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

I enjoy both for different reasons. I really can't pick one over the other, and really, why should I? Thankfully, it's possible to enjoy both equally.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

X-men for me. I was blown away with issue 108. JB made the X-men real. it felt as if the stories could happen in real life. When he left the stories just got silly. I still believe X-men sales would have still shot -up if JB stayed. I kept buying hoping that JB would return. 

BRIAN ASKEY
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

Definitely the X-Men. I loved JB's run on FF, but it lost some of its appeal for me when the She-Hulk was brought in.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 12  

Even though the Thing is my favorite member of the FF, I absolutely loved She-Hulk as his replacement. It's the only time there's been a replacement member of the FF that I thought actually worked. A big part of that is that no one can write and draw She-Hulk as well as JB.. When I think of her I think of his characterization of her.as well as Roger Stern's from around the same era. But since JB also had a pretty good run on the second volume of She-Hulk (the second time around anyway) plus the graphic novel, he really brought that character to life for me.

And, Ariel, I don't get where you say there is bitterness or anger towards Claremont from Mr. Byrne. I've seen him say on this forum several times that apparently he was holding Claremont back as the sales on X-Men really took off once he left the title.

As for your implying that everyone is kissing ass who picked FF, that's completely disrespectful. While I totally enjoyed JB's iconic run on X-Men, I enjoyed the FF run even more. I don't know how you think anyone would get brownie points with JB by picking one over the other since his art is in both titles and he co-plotted X-Men as well. You'll even find him in this very thread saying his art was more consistent on his Uncanny X-Men run than on FF. I don't know how it's unreasonable to you to think that people actually enjoyed his Fantastic Four more than his X-Men run. For me, it was his FF run that got me back into comics and is, in fact, my favorite Fantastic Four run period. I've never really enjoyed the FF since JB left. I did enjoy X-Men without him for a few years anyway until around issue 200 or so.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version