Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne’s X-Men or Fantastic Four? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

Not even a contest.
JB's run on Fantastic Four.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

Try as might, the X-Men just never clicked with me, regardless of writer/artist combos.

Easy, for me: FANTASTIC FOUR, and the run that helped turn me into a full-on Byrne maniac back in the '80s!

Back to Top profile | search

David Philpott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

I have always heard that 12 is the golden age of comic collecting. And I was 12 when John started on Uncanny. His run still seems like Magic. With the F.F. it was just a continuation of that magic.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

Off-topic (kind of): Hidden Years is a book I'd like really to see an Artist Edition of.  I bet the art, and those Palmer inks, really shine in that format.  Something was missing in the printing process?  The reason I wonder is because I saw some originals at the DOA site and they looked so much more detailed.  

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Objectively, FF, for many of the reasons already stated (length, writing), but I cannot remove my feelings from the question. I remember so vividly the first time I read a JB drawn book (X-MEN 136). I remember the excruciating wait (while on vacation with only that book to read over and over and over) to read what would happen next. It was the first comic that ever made me look at the credits to see who drew it. I remember tracking down all Byrne back issues and getting some as a surprise one Christmas morning. I can't think about that run without thinking of being excited. I loved the FF run, and honestly have read everything he's done since, but there's only one first time for everything.
Also, without being critical of different inkers, I prefer Byrne and Austin as inkers over all others, so that lessens the excitement on some of the FF run. I accepted Palmer as an artistic "bridge" to the Neal Adams run preceding the Hidden Years time period, but would have preferred Byrne or Austin. 
Also, also, while I missed JB on X-Men, certainly, I enjoyed the Cockrum and Smith runs tremendously. 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm not an artist, so this is just one fan's opinion, but I do not think that Dave Cockrum was well-served by the inking during his second run. I loved Sam Grainger's inks during Cockrum I. If only Terry Austin had stuck around for Cockrum II...! Take a look at some of the covers during JB's run that were Cockrum/Austin collaborations, e.g., the stunning cover to #122. WOW!

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

Fantastic Four all the way!

(Hidden Years comment: I freakin' loved this comic and I was just getting into my buying and drooling stride when it was so horrifically taken away. The writing AND the art, especially the inks. However, that said, picking up on what JB said about possibly having more fan appeal if it had been a Byrne & Austin outing...I can totally see that! Especially now, looking back.) 

-D

Edited by Darren Taylor on 11 December 2016 at 3:16pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

Jeez, good call on a Hidden Years artist's edition. That would be one lush book.
Back to Top profile | search | www

marios ksidonas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Only thing I might have done differently, would have been to get Terry to ink it"
Have you ever considered to work with him produsing a graphic novel (not for the big two!) but in the european standards?
i mean in Europe the comic industry is a bit different,they produce graphic novels which gives them time and comfort to tell a story much more wider and self sufficient.
I dont know how much with the european comic book culture are you familiar with but it is a question that goes around my mind for quite some time and i wanted to ask you.and this thought is not only for you but for the most of your class( Zeck ,Starlin ect ect..)
For me this was meant to you to do right now....instead of taking assignments on a monthly series, it is better to produce an annual or a biannual graphic novel.Being on a monthly skedule...been there done that.You dont have anything to prove to anyone.But having the time and the comfort to produce a graphic novel every year or twice a year i bet the result will be something fabulus!
And of course i dont mean that you are drawing slow ...on the contrary i mean that in this level all of you are meant to give us something more wider ,complex and self sufficient than a monthly title!
Especiallly you and Starlin i think are made for this....both in writing and art!

Edited by marios ksidonas on 11 December 2016 at 3:58pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

Though the impact of JB's work on the X-MEN is still what others have been judged by since.

His work on the FF is the best. 

PS - If...  only....  he... could.... have,,,,  made... it... to... the.... 25th anniversary issue.....

:-(

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

I had a break from comics in my mid-teens, thinking I had outgrown them.  Byrne's FF brought me back... at least until the glut of books, events, and cover variants in the mid-late 90s.

So, yeah... The FF run hands down.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

Tho' I enjoyed JB's X-Men run for what it was, (even with it's epic storylines) I can't comment enough over how perfect JB's FF run was. 

"Second only to Stan and Jack" is often said, and I can't agree more!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version