Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne’s X-Men or Fantastic Four? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ariel, being respectful to our host doesn't have to mean the same as "ass-kissing."

Back to Top profile | search

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB, I take your word for it regarding the timing of your leaving the X-Men and the beginning of the Bad Byrne stories, and the following comments are not a justification for any of those mis-characterizations. 

I think I understand some of the anger/ resentment about your leaving the X-Men. I'm sure this has occurred to you that it actually is a big uncomfortable compliment. The book was simply so good to so many readers that it became like a fix that nothing else could satisfy. We knew (deep down) that it would never be that good again. The worst part is that the book was getting BETTER. I actually dreamed Byrne drawn X-Men stories that didn't exist repeatedly (and for years). Now, I was a kid, so I have no trouble admitting that my reaction to your leaving was immature, but older readers, who were just as addicted, have a harder time regaining perspective. One day the future was full of Byrne drawn X-Men stories , and the next...

And to that point, part of the pricelessness of your work was the silent characterization that your pencil produced- facial expressions, reactions, gestures, that no one else could match. A certain level of depth was gone, never to return. The anger represented cravings. Not rational, but true, in my opinion.

Many years ago, my wife and I went to our favorite restaurant to order our favorite dish, one that was unique  and unmatched anywhere in our area. It was removed from the menu. No one could tell us why. They were actually known for the dish. It was simply gone. I'm sure the other food was great, but we stopped going there. For years we would get a craving for that dish, and it would make me mad that such a great thing simply didn't exist anymore. 

So, JB, my compliments to the chef, and no hard feelings;)

Edited by Charles Nelson on 15 December 2016 at 11:24pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 3  

And to that point, part of the pricelessness of your work was the silent characterization that your pencil produced- facial expressions, reactions, gestures, that no one else could match. A certain level of depth was gone, never to return. The anger represented cravings. Not rational, but true, in my opinion.

••

Very much not rational, if one can heap such praise upon my furry little head at a time when I was swimming in the same pool as John Buscema, Michael Golden, Neal Adams, Berni Wrightson, Joe Kubert, Curt Swan and a dozen or more others!!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

By the time I started reading comics, the Byrne-Claremont-Byrne-Claremont-Austin run (that's plotter-plotter-penciller-scripter-inker) was several years in the past and I view it without an ounce of nostalgia. JB was still (just about) doing the FF when I started collecting imported US comics, as opposed to Marvel UK reprints. This was late 85. So there may be a little hint of nostalgia for me in the FF run. However, it was only in about 87 that I recognised JB was the artist I liked best and the issue of FF that he had done were the back issues I wanted to read the most. They were so good.

Favourite doesn't necessarily mean you view it as better. JB's art when he moved to DC was a lot better, in my opinion, than a lot of the stuff in the FF run. More polished, more refined. But JB and the FF seems a better fit than anything else.

The characters in the FF came alive in JB's hands. That version of Reed and Doctor Doom are two of my favourite characters in all of comics.

I don't get that from the Uncanny run. 

Which is not to say that I don't admire that run or Chris Claremont's writing in general. 

Around the time I started collecting comics, Claremont/JR Jr were the team on Uncanny and I loved those comics. After a while, I came to recognise that the run by JB and CC and TA was superior.

Claremont has a very distinct, idiosyncratic voice. It was, no doubt, one of the things that attracted people in droves to the title. At length, I find it becomes a little overpowering at times.

The story of collaborators finding success together and then splitting because they've had enough of working together is age old. I'd say it's more rare to find collaborators who enjoy working together so much that they keep at it forever. Even then, I imagine there's be some things each one does that gets on the other one's nerves. That's just humans + time.

Edited by Peter Martin on 16 December 2016 at 1:10pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 5  

I wasn't hurt when JB left Uncanny X-Men... no feelings of betrayal in my mind... however NOW that
JB's not working on Triple Helix, I've been a lil' depressed...

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 16 December 2016 at 1:26pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

I can vouch for the reality that some fans felt like missing JB's time on the X-
Men was like missing the Beatles -- both feelings hit me about the same time
as a young consumer. What is nostalgia for a time you never lived in? Whatever
it is, I've had it in spades.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

JB's FF & X-men are my favorite runs from their respective books.  When push comes to shove I'll go with X-men as my preferred run.  Cyclops & Nightcrawler quickly became favorites. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2016 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 8  

I love it when people love Cyclops!  I think he's second only to Captain America in Marvel Universe leadership.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2016 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I'd agree that Scott had his moments...... not aware of any in the most
recent depictions of him.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2016 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 10  

COROLLARY: When Cyclops met Robin, I figured, "That's it. Fight's over. I don't care if they're fighting a god... that much leadership, initiative, and raw talent will beat ANY opponent."

Mr. Byrne, I completely respect your choices. But this discussion makes me sad that I don't get to see any of your artwork in comics. I hope that when the bug itches you, we'll get your genius on paper again soon.

(And yes, I'm going to get the coloring book. That's rather what any uncolored comic comes down to, right? :) :) :)

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2016 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 11  

Kevin: I absolutely agree.  Cyclops is the best field leader (after Cap) in Marvel. Over the years, marvel has done him a huge disservice.  

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2016 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think he's second only to Captain America in Marvel Universe leadership.

I absolutely agree.  Cyclops is the best field leader (after Cap) in Marvel. Over the years, marvel has done him a huge disservice.

Yes. Yes. Yes! 

I have been saying this for years and am always met with resistance from the people who only know of Cyclops as "the dick." 

The sad thing is, in addition to Cyclops, nearly every Marvel hero I looked up to as a kid, teen, or twenty-something young man has gone on to become a dick; Reed Richards, Professor X, Iron Man, the list goes on and on. Even Spider-Man. It's pathetic. 

For those of us who had shitty real life father figures, these guys took their place as far as teaching us morals and ethics, right and wrong, and the like. To see how they are now is just plain sad.     
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version