Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: ENTERPRISE Revisited Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2016 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Damn, ENTERPRISE could have done an episode where one of the crew has a Bob Ross painting kit(an antique, of course), and at some point we see a pallet  with colors matching those of the shirts on TOS.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2016 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

at the end there is just white canvas because the cabal erased Bob Ross from the timeline. 
Back to Top profile | search | email

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2016 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

BOB ROSS IS "FUTURE GUY"!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2016 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

...so, "Stigma". Aka, "The One Where T'Pol Has Mind-Meld AIDS".

Surely, this is the most blatant and ham-fisted social allegory in the entire history of the STAR TREK franchise, right? Perhaps even moreso than "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"?

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2016 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

on Carbon Creek now. nit quite sure why they are in the 50s.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2016 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

(So glad I skipped ENTERPRISE, almost in its entirety.)

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2016 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It may suck for Star Trek but it's still as good as any other sci-fi show on today. It's no more ponderous than Legends of tomorrow. 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2017 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I find that a bit frustrating, that Enterprise is becoming good because the quality of science fiction on television (and perhaps movies) is declining.

I have been talking with a friend of mine about this, is there no interest in scientific curiosity any more or character writing that does not rely on sex and cheap drama?

I know there are shows with good character writing, just not in the science fiction genre at the moment.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2017 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Joe Boster: It may suck for Star Trek but it's still as good as any other sci-fi show on today. It's no more ponderous than Legends of tomorrow."

Which is why I'm skipping Legends, Joe. And the entire CW/DC universe for that matter. Seriously, did we all learn nothing from Smallville?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2017 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that no one learns anything from anything, these days. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Which is why I'm skipping Legends, Joe. And the entire CW/DC universe for that matter. Seriously, did we all learn nothing from Smallville?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think Legends isn't a good show. But I don't get the comparison to Smallville. From a Superboy/Superman perspective it was disappointing that we didn't get to see the costume. Other than that for the most part it was a good show.

Now the Flash that's a fantastic show. Arrow is a good show. It hasn't always been great but I think it the good outweigh's the bad.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2017 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Anthony, you and I apparently saw entirely different versions of Smallville. I had a punk-ass boss at a previous job who was head-over-heels in love with Arrow and have heard painstaking recreations of entire episodes. For what felt like seasons at a time. He was also a Supernatural fan. Y'know, I don't miss that job. I've watched one episode of the Flash (the second season premiere with Jay Garrick) and while the production values were an improvement over the 90's series, the characters were wall-to-wall jerks. Yeah, I know, if I'd only seen what led up to that, I'd understand why they were so stand-offish and distrustful of their new visitor. I get that. But every episode is somebody's first, and in my case, that one was also probably my last. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 02 January 2017 at 2:38am

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2017 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Anthony, you and I apparently saw entirely different versions of Smallville.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian, I would have liked to see a better show about how Superboy became Superman. Unfortunately that's not what we got. So accepting it for what it was instead for what it wasn't I enjoyed it. I thought of it as an Else Worlds story.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2017 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I'm all for accepting the show on its own terms. I still didn't like it on those terms. I didn't like the reticence of the main character. I didn't like the good guy/bad guy hokey-pokey dance the villains all did. I didn't like the other characters. I didn't like the stories. I didn't like the story arcs. I didn't like what they did with the DC characters they incorporated, either as versions of existing characters or on their own. I found the show extremely annoying.

Kristen Bell almost got the part of Chloe. I am SO glad that didn't happen. I'd have been spending years NOT watching a performer I really like. As it was, I still spent years not watching Annette O'Toole, Kristen Kreuk, Erica Durance, & Allison Mack. I'd watch those actors if they were given good material. I won't watch them on Smallville, however. James Marsters came over from Buffy. I tried watching the show to see him on it. Still hated it. 

I'm still thinking we may have seen different Smallvilles, Anthony. I'm an old school DC parallel universe fan, so let me ask you; How many "L's" was your version spelled with? :-)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I'm still thinking we may have seen different Smallvilles, Anthony. I'm an old school DC parallel universe fan, so let me ask you; How many "L's" was your version spelled with? :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A pair of Ls ;)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Brian Hague - I GET THAT REFERENCE!

To quote a certain genius, "Dog... I'm old!"

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Eric, Anthony, that warms the cockles of my battered and deflated heart more than I can say. :-)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

..."The Crossing".

What the...? This one was...kinda good! Sort of a horror movie fusion of "Return to Tomorrow" and "The Lights of Zetar", with some actual tension and urgency to the story. Not perfect, but I wasn't bored!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

What is it they say? "Even a blind pig can come up with an acorn now and then." :-)

Honestly, though, I should seek this episode out. I'd like to see what a good hour of Enterprise looks like. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Still not great, mind you. But it at least feels a bit more like TREK, and even a little like Kirk-era TREK. First contact with a non-corporeal race, a mystery with action sprinkled throughout, and the crew working quickly through problems as they pop up.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2017 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

..."Judgment".

Man, David A. Goodman must be a BIG fan of THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY...

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

"Crossing" Yeah, about as good as it gets. in season 2. It was something other than humanoid alien of the week. nothing like a little genocide to brighten the day! 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2017 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Golly, it looks like ENTERPRISE just got reissued on DVD.

...I'm good, thanks.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

......"Cogenitor".

Mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, it's TREK-ish, in terms of its tackling of social issues (and is more than a little reminiscent of TNG's "The Outcast"), but, on the other hand, it depends upon the notion that Tucker is a complete idiot, and/or Starfleet has absolutely no guidelines whatsoever regarding first contact and interference with other cultures. Gee, maybe they'll come up with some sort of directive to handle that sort of thing, instead of flying recklessly from planet to planet...

..."Regeneration".

Mixed feeling about this one, too. On the one hand, this episode has some urgency and action to it, and wasn't another terminally-boring chore to sit through. On the other hand, it feels like a piece of ratings-grab fanwankery in a series that already reeks of fanwankery. However, there is a certain logic to doing a Borg story, since ENTERPRISE itself is essentially a direct sequel to FIRST CONTACT. 

That said, it's yet another cheat, in that Archer and company first encounter a species which wasn't originally met until later in the chronology. Also, the predestination paradox the episode tries to set up doesn't make sense--the idea is that the time-traveling Borg from FIRST CONTACT have now sent a message to the Delta Quadrant, which will lead the Borg to seek and out and reach the Federation in about 200 years...by the time of TNG. Of course, that doesn't fit with what we know, since Q dropped the Enterprise-D into the Borg's lap in "Q Who?", which led them to begin encroaching upon Federation territory. This whole idea that the Borg in the Delta Quadrant received the message, and then took 200 years to reach Earth (despite their established transwarp technology, which would greatly cut down the travel time) doesn't work.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Enterprise had no respect whatsoever for interstellar distances or the franchise's own sense of warp speeds. We could get all the way to the Klingon Homeworld, not just an outpost station, not one of their backwater planets, but their Homeworld in five days in the pilot. Meaning the Klingons never tried to conquer anyone more than four days travel from their home. 

Even if the Borg in the Enterprise era are farther off in space than they are in Voyager's time, it still will only take Voyager 70 years to get home at space-normal speed. That signal must be going ver-r-r-ry slo-o-o-o-wly for the Borg's anticipated arrival time to be 200 years off. 

That writers room was one sad, tired, burned out bunch of critters.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version