Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 36 Next >>
Topic: Black Panther - SPOILERS Begin Pg 6 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

For me, the heart was the really striking part. There is a danger of excessive sentimentality when a movie tries to have "heart," but this one not only managed to avoid that, but in showing how corrosive cynicism and vengefulness can be (after all, the Bad Guy had a point), that it earned its high-mindedness.  This led to the only post-credits scene that managed to choke me up.

Top marks, all around.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I enjoyed it overall. I liked the first part with the Wakandan world-building a lot more than the standard super hero stuff. The ninja fights tend to bore me to tears at this point as do car chases. There wasn't anything interesting about the action sequences. I thought M'Baku stole the show.

I would agree with the thought that it didn't feel like Black Panther was actually in the movie much but since everyone else was more interesting, I guess it didn't matter. In some ways, Black Panther himself was more interesting to me in "Civil War" where his code and honor put him in an antagonistic position, rather than as an unflinching hero.

I liked the more serious tone, for sure, though.   
Back to Top profile | search

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, in many ways this felt more like an ensemble film, than specifically a solo superhero film. Almost like it should have been called "WAKANDA" rather than "BLACK PANTHER." But because all the characters were so good, it just worked. 

I had one friend complain that the film downplayed T'Challa's genius-level intellect, by making Shuri the tech-designer, that all the advances in his suit and weapons seem to come from her, as opposed to being self-invented.  And I can't really argue with that. 

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 20 February 2018 at 10:01am

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Really liked this film. It is not my favorite Marvel film but it had a lot of powerful thematic/ political elements that were stronger than other Marvel movies. 

Shuri calling Everett "Colonizer", M'baku not allowing him to speak, Erik and his dad's reference to oppressed people and the African diaspora and Erik's last line were extremely powerful.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Sure, but in the context of superhero movies, "origin movie" has certain connotations and conforming to the formula of "this is how this person gets his powers and his costume and his name."

I share this view - the film neither introduced BP or saw him get his "powers". He is BP right from the off. It's as much an origin film as Spider-Man: Homecoming is.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Since I don't know any Black Panther mythology, I had zero preconceived ideas on how the characters should be.

My review is mostly good with some criticism.

I'll get the bad out of the way quick - rushed CG and horrible camera placement for the fight scenes - too much camera motion, and cropped in way too tight.

I think it did a GREAT job with the characterizations, although I would have liked to see one more scene highlighting the growing tension between T'Challa and W'Kabi before W'Kabi was convinced to turn on him.

I loved Shuri, and I thought Klaw was awesome and KillMonger's motives were very believable. I was hoping for his salvation, but clearly he was too far gone.

I liked the humor because it wasn't Black Panther cracking the jokes. Thats not to say he is humorless. Clearly he had a sense of humor. He just wasn't throwing one-liners around. Thank goodness.

Shuri?????? Great humor. She had the best lines. M'Baku had some funny lines but I felt they blew his character.

So in the end, all things considered I think this was a really good movie and hit all the marks fairly well. I'll have to review the list of MCU movies to refresh my memory, but I'm sure this is in the top five.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 21 February 2018 at 1:01am

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 12:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It occurred to me that as the main cast is black apart 
from Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman from The 
Hobbit...they`re the Tolkien white guys ;-)

Bill....that was hilarious...;-)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I went and saw it yesterday (Its 2:00am here right now, so it qualifies as yesterday), and I agree with most of Robert Shepard's assessments.

When T'Challa visited his father in the spirit world, it was rather obvious that either a backdrop or green screen was being used. 

Not my favorite MCU movie, but it is definitely top 5.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 4:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I really enjoyed it.

It was fun and smart altogether.

I found things I really liked in Christopher Priest's.

I'd just be thrilled to watch a Marvel movie where the hero doesn't fight his evil version...

I was a little frustrated with Klaw (Klaue) as I like the red guy with his sonic claw.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Has Thor fought an evil version of himself? The Guardians of the Galaxy? Did Spider-Man? 

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Cap, Iron Man, The Hulk, and Antman fought
their evil doppelgangers in their debut
movies in addition to (apparently) the
Black Panther.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

David Schmidt wrote:
I was a little frustrated with Klaw (Klaue) as I like the red guy with his sonic claw.

Well, keep in mind, how we saw him in the first movie is how he appeared in the first Black Panther appearance in Fantastic Four. And he was presumed dead at the end of that story too. When he returned from the dead he had been transformed into the red sonic claw sound-being that he is known as today. So it is possible that he could be brought back in that form in some future film.

I'll also note that Killmonger has been known to return from "death" a few times, too. 

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 21 February 2018 at 8:20am

<< Prev Page of 36 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version