Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Perhaps...if that's your bar.  But he'd nominate a FEMA director with his right hand to great applause while enacting whatever bullshit ideological reform he wanted to with his left hand.  At least we know where Trump stands, as horrible as that sounds. With Pence?  I dunno.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Pence is a religious zealot. It is debatable whether Trump can spell 'religious zealot'. Pence might be able to put together a competent, yet disagreeale, administration. Trump has been non-stop BS since long before he ever thought of running for President. 
So, is a mental incompetent really the preferable choice to the Jesus Freak?

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 08 June 2017 at 11:50pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Neither is preferable. But, again, the devil you know.  I don't know fuck all about Pence and, quite frankly, he scares me.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've been so exhausted by the GOP's willfull incompetence of last 20 years. After the Bush administration I was all, as long as we have a president who wants to govern competently, and hire others who feel the same. 

Now my bar has been lowered to:
  • Walks upright 
  • Opposable thumbs
  • Prepared to appoint FEMA director
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I might be prepared to waive a couple of those requirements for a particularly ingenious mollusca who communicated an acceptable FEMA director nomination by stacking rocks or something.  

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2017 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

When the choice was between Clinton and Trump, the choice was simple.

When the choice is between Pence and Trump... I can't decide. I only know that whichever wins, America loses.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2017 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hilary was right

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2017 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Sarah Huckabee Sanders: "I can definitively say the president is not a liar".

So I suppose his administration really did accomplish more in its first 90 days than anyone else before.

So I suppose his inauguration really was the most watched in history and the photos were doctored.

I suppose there really were thousands of Muslims celebrating in New Jersey on 9/11 and everybody else just missed it or lied.

I suppose he actually was totally against the war in Iraq and everyone misrecorded his comments in the period leading up to the invasion.

I guess the US mruder rate really is at a 47-year high and the published statistics are just wrong.

And then there's this tweet from March this year: "The NSA and FBI tell Congress that Russia did not influence electoral process" Did they reall tell Congress that? I don't think they did.

I could go on...

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Aside from the religious stuff, this is what really terrifies me about Pence-

The bar is so low and people are so stressed out that he might have a hell of a honeymoon period and get away with a lot of truly gross stuff, simply by virtue of not being Trump.

I wish a dragon would come down from the sky and tear Trump to shreds on the White House lawn, but at this point you have to admit his presence will really help with the mid-terms.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2017 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I doubt Pence would enjoy much of of a honeymoon with relieved liberals. And I bet not as much from his own party.

Obviously times have gotten worse, but Ford was hamstrung was hamstrung by many factors, including the contentious circumstances of his succession, that will likely repeat as farce (if we're lucky).

Something I find vaguely encouraging is the systemic incompetence of the GOP. There's nothing standing between them and ending the goddamn world as we know it, yet they've been unable to muster metric fuck-all of their agenda aside from some judicial confirmations. The total jerk right is screaming about Democrat obstruction, but so far the Republicans haven't given them anything much to obstruct. Trump hasn't even made nominations for hundreds of vacancies. As a Type I diabetic, I'm looking forward to some obstruction on health care.

What I was saying above about FEMA is mostly symbolic. The Republicans made the disturbing choice during the W. administration to embrace willful incompetence as a core conservative value, something that haunts them to this day. Trump's philosophy is closer to outright nihilism.

Hopefully, a better case scenario unfolds where Trump's failures prevent or mitigate the implementation of the various warring theocratic, neo-conservative and neo-Nazi agendas, while the acting agency directors competently maintain their departments with the .dedication we expect of career public servants. 

What worries me is a repeat of what happened near the end of W's second term, as bridges and other infrastructure began collapsing nationwide simply because Bush and his boys just didn't give a shit. New Orleans was destroyed because they just didn't give a shit.

It's really hard to game out whether the country is better served by evil or incompetence. It's going to cost hundreds of lives to find out.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2017 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"With Pence? I dunno."

I'm Canadian, and it shouldn't mean shit to me, but
Pence terrifies me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2017 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As I've said before, I'll take incompetence over evil.  If you're on a bus with a driver who intends to go over a cliff, there's at least a chance the incompetent driver will accidentally shift into reverse when he means to go forward.  Assuming he can be prevented from doing anything truly disastrous (ie, accidentally starting a nuclear war) Trump is less a threat to the country's institutions than Pence.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version