Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just think, a week from now... Donald Trump won't be president. :)

-C!

Counting down the hours!

By the way, even when he's out, there can still be a trial since he's been impeached.  It's happened once before to William Belknap
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Michael: "...With Trump, I can also see him refusing to pardon the guy over something petty like Trump being mad that horn head makes his followers look like clowns. Which he does. ..."

No argument about the guy being a clown, but Trump is the same guy who hired Giuliani and kept him on all this time until just recently, so Trump doesn't seem to mind clowns. He even tries to look like one himself. LOL!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If the Constitution was plain about it, there would be no debate. I hope
Kevin and you are correct,

How unclear is “except in cases of impeachment”?

If I say I love all fruit except for oranges, do you assume I like oranges?

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Brian gets it.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If I say I love all fruit except for oranges, do you assume I like oranges?

....... only if there is a lawyer in the room.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Fred gets it.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Oh, and Brian and Kevin, I stand by what I wrote before: I WANT you guys to be right. We'll only know when Trump tries to pardon himself (which means we'll very likely find out soon).

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nah. He’s gonna go nuclear and declare martial law.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's not the best analogy. I'll get to that in a bit (bear with me and apologies for the long post that is coming up).

The original statement from Kevin was this: "Once again, Trump CANNOT be pardoned.  He's impeached, twice now.  This is Constitutional law."

Again, the constitution:

"He shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

And (again) on top of this: section 3, clause 7 of the constitution says that:

"Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law."

The first question is what exactly is he pardoning himself for.

If it is all crimes with the exception of those for which he is accused in his impeachment, should he have the power to do that under the plain reading of the power of pardon clause.

Ok, so the fruit analogy. Why do I think it's not so good? First because it's about a power to give something, not a preference. How about:

You can give any fruit, except in the case of oranges.

So the question that you seem to be ignoring is can you give the fruit to yourself. I'd say the answer is yes, so long as it's not an orange. But we don't know for sure.

Then, we do have to make it more complicated because there is the clause about 'judgment of impeachment' which says the senate's power does not extend beyond removal of office and the various disqualifications. And then, separately, he is subject to the normal law of the land for further prosecution of these crimes.

One reading therefore (and I would contend it is the most straightforward reading) is that 'cases of impeachment' and 'judgment of impeachment' are the same thing. An impeachment case is judged by the senate. They have the power to remove from office and disqualify from office, but no more. The president cannot use his power of pardon to interfere in this.

However, prosecution under the law outside of impeachment proceedings would possibly be pardonable. As long as he is president he still holds the power of pardon. The impeachment has not begun yet. If he were to issue himself the same pardon Ford gave to Nixon, I think there is a some argument it may protect him from all Federal prosecutions (but not removal from office by impeachment, prohibition from future office, and obviously state and civil cases).

This ends up being more obscuring than helpful, but the analogy would be more like:

If someone tries to take away your fruit, you have the power to hold on to it, apart from in the case of oranges.

In the case of oranges, we can take two segments of your fruit if we decide it is indeed an orange. Any remaining orange may be subject to be taken away by another person.

And this is still clear as mud: because it doesn't clear up absolutely whether he can withhold the fruit from the second person even if it is an orange if the first person doesn't determine it's an orange...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think it might elucidate things more to give some actual examples.

Let's say Trump is hoping to give himself a blanket pardon. It reads:

" I, Donald J. Trump, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto myself, Donald J. Trump, for all offenses against the United States which I, Donald Trump, have committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from June 14, 1946 through January 20, 2021."

And let's say he is impeached for Insurrection following the 2020 Presidential Election.

And let's say that separately a federal prosecutor wants to go after him for accepting donations from foreign nationals.

So what happens here?

First, is the pardon just flat out unacceptable because he is pardoning himself? The constitution does not spell it out, but I would lean toward he can do this.

Second, if the pardon is acceptable, does it block the impeachment for insurrection. Clearly, no. The constitution does spell that out.

Third, does the pardon apply to the separate prosecution for accepting donations? I would say it does (in spite of Kevin's assertion that he CANNOT be pardoned because he has been impeached not just once, but twice).

Fourth, if he is found not guilty of insurrection by the senate, does his pardon apply if a consequent  criminal federal prosecution follows? I would say yes, but this one is slightly murky.

Fifth, if he is found guilty of insurrection by the senate, does his pardon apply to a consequent criminal prosecution at the federal level? I'd say maybe, but really not sure and this is much murkier.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I really still think he will try and use the mob violence he named the place and day for to start with as grounds for martial law. Lovely time for all this crap during the worst of a pandemic eh wot? Why oh why did the Republicans in the Senate not use the first impeachment to get rid of this damaging ass? I will never see the things they think they were getting in the 'deal'... Theoretical fetuses saved? Entrenchment for forcing evangelical Christianity 'rights'? Keeping minorities from power just as a general master race principle of some sort? It's not get-able without having developed in the contaminated culture; where your grandparents and parents told you Santa Claus was real so you just can never go against that from emotional fragility reasons? They did get two utter ringer SCOTUS judges that have no business being there, less debatable than Clarence Thomas, but Biden could add two to balance them off, and I hope he will; two, no more no less, is called for.

I would like to say I admire even those I might have disagreements with who have come up from certain confederate states but have still found the value of an objective truth, and/or value a liberal inclusive democracy. I would like to admire at least ten Republicans in Congress, but they sure make it hard other times! Every time there seems a slight bit of hope for a Pence or a Graham they almost immediately devolve back to defending the guy trying to diminish their party or burn down the structure of the republic itself (or fuel the lynch mob after them literally)! A kind of madness... perhaps just a lack of long term thinking as we have seen in so many areas of society the last two or three decades?

Lots of work for lawyers is created, many 'on the head of a pin' arguments fiddling away right this moment while Rome burns as it were. It's the same old mistake of not tying the principle of states' rights (or even the civil war) to what it was born out of; the right to keep slaves legally! Almost a hundred and fifty years of this kind of pandering for blocks of votes, and they still pick the worst bases for a foundation! Fanatics and true believers may be the most motivated but they are also the least stable.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 15 January 2021 at 8:36pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So the question that you seem to be ignoring is can you give the fruit to
yourself. I'd say the answer is yes, so long as it's not an orange. But we
don't know for sure.

You’re saying he can pardon himself, which I agree with. You’re also
saying he cannot pardon himself in cases of impeachment. Which I
also agree with.