Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If he pardons himself...its an admission of guilt.  If he admits he is guilty...he opens himself up for civil lawsuits.  

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 14 January 2021 at 5:04pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

He’s never cared about being found guilty. He gets his pleasure from
getting away with it. Who cares if everybody knows what he did? As
long as he has no repercussions, that’s all he cares about. And he’s
never had any repercussions. That’s why he keeps doing the things he
does.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Whether or not Trump can pardon himself, he's sure gonna try it!

Sources say one reason he won't resign is he's convinced Pence won't pardon him. In other words, he definitely expects a pardon. Since Biden is HIGHLY unlikely to that, the conclusion is that Trump really will try it for himself.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Peter: "...In the event of Trump trying a self-pardon, I'd be quite happy to see the Supreme Court tackle that one...."

One thing that gives me a sliver of hope in regards to the Supreme Court is that since a Democrat is going to be President, I have some doubt the Trump-appointed judges and their conservative team members will want to chance setting a precedent that can also be applied to Biden and other Democrats in the position.

Had Trump won a re-election, and his second term had been followed by another Republican (or Trump changing the laws to get a third term), then I could see the judges willing to gamble more and allowing it to happen.

Kevin: "...Once again, Trump CANNOT be pardoned.  He's impeached, twice now.  This is Constitutional law..."

If this is such a given, why are all the pundits, politicians, lawyers, and historians on television and in media debating this still? Murder in cold blood is agreed upon by everyone in their right mind to be illegal. If the fact that a President pardoning himself is unquestionably against the law, then there would be no real arguments going on. Obviously, this is not decided upon legally, as of yet. And, hey, Kevin, I WANT you to be right. Sadly, my cynicism has only grown more these days.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If this is such a given, why are all the pundits, politicians, lawyers, and
historians on television and in media debating this still?

Because it's never been tried and no one's ever had to make a decision
on it. I'm with Kevin. The constitution is pretty plain about it. But,
because it's never been attempted, there's nothing that's been ruled
upon supporting that. So, MAGAland keeps holding on to this one sliver
that their god is still infallible.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Peter: "..." 'He shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.'

The clause indicates a single constraint on the presidential power to pardon: in cases of impeachment..."

I wish the founders of this country had stopped and considered how that could be misinterpreted and made it more clear where it didn't require the Supreme Court to decided on the matter. Of course, they likely didn't consider a President ever trying to self-pardon, but we did just escape tyrannical rule at the time it was drafted. That should have gave them some consideration of the possibility a mad tyrant might be placed in charge at some point.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brian: "...The constitution is pretty plain about it. But,
because it's never been attempted, there's nothing that's been ruled
upon supporting that. So, MAGAland keeps holding on to this one sliver
that their god is still infallible..."

If the Constitution was plain about it, there would be no debate. I hope Kevin and you are correct, but there's a reason MAGAland is holding on as you mentioned: Because it hasn't been decided.

For what it's worth, I'll be HAPPY for you to be right, and rub it in my face if it is decided legally Trump can't self-pardon. I may not hear you when that happens, 'cause of the partying going on.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The horned hat traitorous moron that invaded the Capitol with the other terrorists says he is hoping for a pardon by Trump. I am very curious to see if Trump will indeed grant pardons to these criminals. He is totally despicable, so it's not out of the question.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I wish the founders of this country had stopped and considered how that could be misinterpreted and made it more clear where it didn't require the Supreme Court to decided on the matter
----------------------------------------------
Matt, I think it's unlikely it didn't occur to them. The absence of a specific prohibition on self-pardoning makes me lean towards thinking they intended it to be an option.

They bothered to expressly limit the pardoning powers to federal offences only and to constrain it totally in cases of impeachments. If they intended the power to be further constrained, wouldn't they have said so?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Giving some historical context to this, at the Constitutional Convention in 1787, the framers of the constitution debated possible further constraints to the executive powers of pardon.

Virginia delegate Edmund Randolph argued that cases of treason should be excluded, saying: "The President may himself be guilty" and the "traitors may be his own instruments". The delegates rejected his concerns.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The horned hat traitorous moron that invaded the Capitol with the other terrorists says he is hoping for a pardon by Trump. I am very curious to see if Trump will indeed grant pardons to these criminals. He is totally despicable, so it's not out of the question.

——-

With Trump, I can also see him refusing to pardon the guy over something petty like Trump being mad that horn head makes his followers look like clowns. Which he does. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2021 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just think, a week from now... Donald Trump won't be president. :)

-C!

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version