Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Do U.S. Secretaries of State have the reputation of openly defying the directives of the executive?   If not, do you honestly expect Mitt Romeny to blaze that trail?
--------------------------------------------
Openly defying?  No.  Steering, soft-peddling and negotiating?  Sure.

Plus, Trump is a 'special' case.  I still don't think, frankly, that he has very firm positions or beliefs about anything, and is going to be basically following his advisors, the tail wagging the dog, in much the same way Bush did.  Meaning I think that whoever ends up heading State is going to be the one actually setting the agenda.

Let me be clear, I'm no fan of Mitt.  At all.  But if, as it appears, the two front runners for the position are Mitt and Giuliani...well...I think its pretty clear which one would be preferable.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

From what I heard this morning on NPR, Giuliani is pretty much out of the running.  It's down to Romney, Petraeus, and small chance with Bob Corker. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Petraeus, huh? It took the GOP about five minutes to get over their principled concerns about the handling of classified materials. And unlike Clinton, he was convicted. At least he used it to get laid, I guess. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I wonder if Petraeus' parole officer will allow him to leave the country....

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

To all those working class folks who voted for Trump, I can only quote Charlton Heston: "You got what you wanted, Tiger. How does it taste?"

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There is a large flat screen television in the waiting area of the place where I occasionally drop-off finished work. Yesterday, on my way out, I heard some chatter about Trump loudly blaring from the speakers, and, wondering if the President-elect had already somehow initiated the ICBM launch sequences, I went inside to take a look.

There is a guy who works there (a staunch Trump supporter), who over the course of the past several months, never missed a chance to try and engage me in a debate over The Donald: "He's an outsider! A breath of fresh air! He'll set things right! He's going to fix this broken country! He's not a lying politician! He's going to keep every one of his campaign promises! You'll see!"

The guy was standing in the waiting room, watching the television, as the newscaster enumerated the various key campaign issues Trump has already "revised" - and he's not even President yet. 

Building the Wall? Turns out it's actually going to be more of a...fence (not unlike the fence we currently have). Immediate repeal of Obamacare? "I'll have to look at that, you know". Breaking the gridlock in Washington, sending those career politicians packing? He's currently surrounding himself with the same rank and file Republicans who have been running the show (at least on the GOP side) for decades.

The guy glanced at me, wearing an expression on his face not unlike someone who thinks they've passed gas, only to slowly discover it was actually explosive diarrhea. I think he expected me to gloat, but - nah. The people who voted for Trump were promised sweeping change, but  in reality were sold a bill of goods by a consummate con-man who played to their hopes and fears with the promise of a better tomorrow. 

They'll have the next four years to deal with their buyer's remorse.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Only if China hasn't blown us all to hell by then. Trump's royally pissed them off today by making a call to Taiwan. Of course, it's unsure if the call was from the president-elect of the United States or the owner of the Trump family of businesses. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

There is no difference between the two in this new era of the purely-for-profit presidency.

The idiots who sold out their country voting for this billionaire elitist will have to deal with a bit of buyer's remorse, it's true. And all the rest of us will as well right alongside them.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm really of the mind that Trump won't last a year before he's impeached and/or resigns.  If he's already having trouble with obvious conflicts of interest, it's not going to get any better.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2016 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Republican congress would never impeach Trump. Many of them despise him, but he's is all they've got. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

They like Pence a LOT more, Joe.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

An impeachment of Trump would still be an impeachment of a Republican (or "Republican"); the GOP isn't going to do that barring something so catastrophic that even Trump's die hard supporters wouldn't object.  We've already seen that most of the GOP would rather fall in line, or dance around the minefields, than confront any of Trump's unsavory aspects.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version