Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Seems that Senate Republicans are on the verge of passing a secret healthcare plan next week... this is all getting so surreal -

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Trump on why he wants wealthy people in his cabinet:

"So, somebody said, 'Why did you appoint a rich person to be in charge of the economy?' … I said, 'because that's the kind of thinking we want.' I mean, you know, really. Because they're representing the country. They don't want the money. They're representing the country and they had to give up a lot to take these jobs. They gave up a lot. And you get the president — this is the president of Goldman Sachs. Smart. Having him represent us. He went from massive paydays to peanuts, to little tiny — I'm waiting for them to accuse him of wanting that little amount of money. They wanted that. But these are people that are great, brilliant business minds. And that's what we need, that's what we have so the world doesn't take … We can't have the world taking advantage of us anymore. And I love all people, rich or poor. But in those particular positions, I just don't want a poor person."

Such a transparent lie. Such flimsy logic. Rich people aren't in fact motivated by money and therefore will make the best decisions for the country. Or could there be a correlation between wealthy people and motivation to make money? Could that in fact lead to wealthy cabinet members making decisions that help protect their wealth rather than being objectively best for everyone? Would that suit Trump?

Edited by Peter Martin on 22 June 2017 at 7:43am
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've never met anyone that is rich and thinks they have enough and would never think of exploiting some advantage for business reasons. Name one person that has amassed wealth to a particular level and decided to only do humanitarian, civic and/or non-profit work for the good of mankind. I'm sure there are a few out there, but they are rare to the point of never hearing about them.

I suspect there is more motivating these people that "gave up a lot to take these jobs" than the desire to do good for the country. Anyone that believes this line of bull crap is forgetting John Acton's age old assertions regarding people in power. But I am perfectly willing to assess these pillars of the US objectively. Let's start with how much charitable, humanitarian and generous activity they have prior to being deemed "rich enough to work in government".

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
This remains a solid truism, yet the public has lapped up
Trump's rhetoric about wanting to sacrifice to improve this
country and help those in need. We have nearly 40 years of
high profile behavior that discounts this motivation.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
I've never met anyone that is rich and thinks they have enough and would never think of exploiting some advantage for business reasons. Name one person that has amassed wealth to a particular level and decided to only do humanitarian, civic and/or non-profit work for the good of mankind. I'm sure there are a few out there, but they are rare to the point of never hearing about them.

Well, Bill Gates has donated over 28 billion dollars to charity, and here are some more billionaires who have given away lots of money. 

Andrew Carnegie gave away almost 96 billion dollars in today's money. Rich people give money away. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Rich people give money away. "

Well.....SOME do.

Many rich people pay politicians to grease the skids for them to make even more money.

Many rich Americans hide their money from the US tax system so they can have more money than the probably should.

Rest assured.  Whatever most rich people give away....they are making and keeping considerable more.

Thank God for the generosity of people like Mr. Gates.  But don't be fooled.  The wealthy often do the nation great harm in order to maintain their level...and exceed it when possible.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Trump campaigned on "draining the swamp" and taking the power from what he deemed as "The Elites." Now he's saying with a straight face to his supporters that he's exactly what he rallied against - and they applaud.

-C!

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Charles Valderrama wrote:
Seems that Senate Republicans are on the verge of passing a secret healthcare plan next week.

There's a funny comment from McCain in the article:

Arizona Republican John McCain, asked whether he’s seen the bill, said, "No, nor have I met any American that has. I’m sure the Russians have been able to hack in and gotten most of it."

Of course, McCain will end up voting for the bill anyway, same as all the other Republicans.  I sure wish he had the guts to oppose Trump in ways besides making snarky comments.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 23 June 2017 at 1:47am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/world/national- security/obama-putin-election-hacking/?tid=sm_fb&utm_ter m=.b44c46d54fce

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Neil, the point I am making is that rich people don't step away from their business to exclusively do humanitarian and charitable work. Yes, there are many generous wealthy people and to dispute that fact is ludicrous. However, #45 says that these rich people are stepping away from their great, wealthy, huge payday jobs to no longer make money out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it because they don't want money, wealth or advantage that the position might afford. He is stating that these rich people are stepping away from their positions so they can stop America from being taken advantage of internationally on "bad deals". I just don't buy that line of crap and welcome any evidence of people that left their well paying jobs to live off their wealth while they do charitable, humanitarian work for the country or world. I'm sure there are a few out there, but they must be rare. So rare that I remain suspect of the motives behind the "rich people in politics only do good" assertion.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2017 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That's an interesting article from the Washington Post.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2017 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

More interesting.... lawmakers across the country are debating voter ID legislation and various bills to change voting requirements - just over a third of Republicans believe officials should make it as easy as possible to vote, according to a recent survey.

Everyone is registered with the SSA at birth since the 70's. (They even keep track of your employer and current address.) Should be simple enough to use this as a database to show a citizen is qualified to vote. If you are a citizen, you should be able to vote period. No registration at a state level should be required.

Any lawmakers trying to complicate voters' rights is against democracy.

-C!

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version