Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2020 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Trump is a unique combination of malevolence and bumbling stupidity.  I can think of characters who have one or the other, but not both.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2020 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Trump is the worst president ever. I don't obsess over that. I don't pay attention to the media which obsesses over him. Otherwise there's a good chance I'll lose my mind within the next four months or four years. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 03 August 2020 at 5:34pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Matt Reed wrote:
I like a lot of the people being considered, but one you didn't mention is Warren.
I missed this comment last week so I didn't respond.

I like Warren, and think she would be a fine Vice President.  But in the year of BLM, I'm afraid it would be incredibly tone deaf and potentially damaging politically for Biden not to select an African American woman.  The cliche is that the first priority in choosing a VP is to do no harm, and I think Warren would do harm in the sense of deflating and even angering supporters who are wanting to see a woman of color get the nod.  You want a VP choice to create excitement, not resentment. 

There's also her age... given Biden's extreme age, it would be nice to see him turn to someone from the next generation, rather than a fellow septuagenarian. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It would be a shame if Biden picks someone who fits into a demographic and not the best person possible for the job but I knew that was destined to happen when he excluded all men from consideration. 

Edited by Neil Lindholm on 04 August 2020 at 6:45pm

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't think there's a perfect pick for VP, and there are plenty of women who are more than qualified. So yes, I'm glad he's picking a woman!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I am old-fashioned. I want the best person for the job. I knew Canada was in trouble when Justin Trudeau proudly announced his gender-parity cabinet in 2015, thus excluding many excellent choices.  It's a race to the bottom. If Biden picks a white woman, he gets crap from black activists. If he doesn't pick an Asian or Hispanic, he is discriminating against them as well. If he chooses someone old, it's a slap in the face to the young voters. If he picks someone young, he is ageist. It never ends. The true definition of a slippery slope. 

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2020 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Neil,

I want the best person for the job, too.  However, "the best person for the job" is a little like "all lives matter" - it's become code for pick a white male while saying you looked high and low for a woman or minority and dang it, the straight, white male just HAPPENED to rise to the top - as he has been doing since... well, forever.

Marc

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 12:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

With respect to the position of Vice-President, the “best person for the job” is kind of a nothing statement. The Vice-President’s formal role is to preside over the Senate and vote in the case of a tie. Are more qualified vote casters being overlooked? The other role of the VP is to succeed the President. How do you pick the best future President? You can’t. You just pick someone who’s qualified, and the bar for that has already been set very low with Trump. 

In reality, the choice of running mate is a strategic one, with a candidate choosing someone who might appeal to constituencies where they have weak support. A Presidential candidate from the Northeast might pick a Southern running mate. A Presidential candidate perceived weak in foreign policy might pick one with more experience. Choosing a female running mate is no different, except it freaks some men out because something isn’t about them. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Oh how dare we ask for the most qualified candidate. It's racist and sexist not to demand a candidate who is specifically Black and female. Or is it the other way around? I am so confused. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Care to turn that around, Joe?  Care to ask why, after 200+ years, the only "qualified candidates" have always and ever been white males? 

Sorry that you're "confused"...although your deer in the headlights act doesn't fool me.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Again, in this context, what the fuck does “most qualified candidate” even mean? A VP should be qualified to serve as President in the case that the President can’t serve out their term. Certainly, there are people who I feel are unqualified to be President. But beyond that, with two candidates who are qualified, what makes one more qualified than the other? There are so many factors and intangibles that go into being a President, a lot of which go out the window when they actually assume office, that you can’t convince me that there’s a magical list of things that between two equally qualified candidates will give one an edge over the other. People vote on platforms and likability.

And we have someone completely unqualified to be President, so what does qualified even mean anymore?

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2020 at 3:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

To say nothing of the fact that most of the VP's in US history did NOT go on to become President of the United States in any event!

I mean we are talking about a job that for most of US history was considered "not worth a bucket of warm piss" - John Nance Garner.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 05 August 2020 at 3:16am

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version