Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I can't see how things go back to the way they were in December 2019. It will be very important to remember everything that the current administration did for the first three years to make themselves less capable of responding, how they downplayed the problem and how they changed their tune and blamed others when it became clear there was no willing this virus out of existence.

I wonder if Trump supporters still feel the media response in late Feb and early March was "fear mongering". I wonder if Trump supporters still feel that most people are in no danger. Experts were calling this a crisis and Trump supporters bit hard on false messaging from their cult leader, Fox News and right wing media that ignored science in favor of getting it horribly wrong. For those of us that opposed this buffoon President our worst nightmares have come true.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Eric L. - Trump supporters believe what their lord and master dictates to them.

My worst nightmare hasn't quite come true yet; Trump hasn't started a nuclear war. But I know that he can, and to enhance his position and reputation, he wouldn't hesitate to. And his supporters would cheer for him - until they get hit, or they get drafted into Trump's little tin soldier army. That is, filled with people who believe in him thoroughly but don't want to actually take action until literally forced to. The ones who will get in the way of the REAL military.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The closest society to the USA is Canada, both geographically and culturally. The USA has 9 times our population, so COVID number should be 9 times higher than the USA. But your COVID cases and fatalities are currently about 20 times those of Canada. That "delta" is the price you are paying for electing Republicans rather than Democrats.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Tell that the the heavily-leaning Democrat greater NYC metro area, which is leading the way in cases and deaths.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I’m fascinated and continue to throw pulp my hands in frustration with
our society, when every single thing is turned political. The covid19
explosion in NYC has more to do with population density, than party
affiliation.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Fred,

If you do not include the federal response (Trump) as a major part of the problem, then you're not seeing the entire picture.

Granted, the virus would had infected people in NYC, but it could have been slowed to the point where the medical community may not have been taxed as it is now.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

James, I’m aware of all of that. I was speaking to the implication of the
post immediately prior to mine.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Michael Casselman, maybe you are right and we should call it the Democratic virus. Was this virus created in a Republican lab to infect liberals? All sarcasm aside, Michael, that is one hell of an asinine statement.

Fred, it seems any idiot can politicize something with enough willful ignorance. The population density is a huge factor in how this virus spreads as well as the number of people that travel to and from an area. New York saw thousands of asymptomatic visitors from all over the world in January, February and March. That fact alone gives strength to the shelter in place and self imposed quarantine that is required to slow the spread of the virus.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As the world approaches 1 million cases today and will certainly break that milestone, the US has some grim statistics. Almost a quarter of all cases worldwide will be in the US. The US also has more than double the cases of any other country in the world. Right now the rate of death is thankfully low. If the US statistics for cases per million of population or deaths per million of population get close to Spain's or Italy's then this virus could claim more US lives than any other global event in history.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The US has tested more than any other country, where that data is available, so confirmed cases will be greater. Ratio still heavy with the deaths though.

I don't want to put on my tin foil hat but I have a hard time believing India, with their population and living conditions in certain areas, has 2,341 confirmed cases. If you see 1 cockroach...

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Unless the Democrats we're talking about have been supporting socialized medicine, which even Bernie hasn't been pushing, they're just as responsible as Republicans.

The US is the only major industrialized nation with a for-profit healthcare system.  When something is run on a for-profit basis, it promotes certain virtues.  Chief among them is efficiency.  When you're trying to maximize profits, you're going to cut out all the waste you can.  Most of the time that's a good thing.

Until there's a pandemic.  Then, your hospitals haven't maintained excess beds, because that's wasteful and cuts into profits.  Your hospitals haven't acquired and maintained extra ventilators because that would cut into profits.  Your hospitals haven't acquired stockpiles of personal protective gear "just in case" because that would cut into profits.

Now I'm not saying that having a national health service automatically makes you better prepared for a pandemic.  It doesn't.  But it does make you able to prepare for a pandemic because the government, who is running that healthcare system, can require hospitals to maintain extra capacity for events such as this.  The government can run health facilities at a loss both in major cities and rural areas.  A for-profit system literally cannot do that.

Hopefully, the current collapse of our healthcare system will cause what the collapse at the end of WW2 in Britain did and we'll rebuild our system as a public one, including policies to be prepared for the next pandemic before it happens.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The UK seems to be lagging behind in testing. For the day of 4/1 they had 4,244 new cases and 569 new deaths for a staggering 13.4%.
In comparison, for the same day Canada was at 1.5% and the US was 2.5%.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version