Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If this President can’t be impeached...now......then the process of impeachment is utterly useless.

I recognize that getting him out of office would be nearly impossible since he maintains so many Republican allies.  But it’s time Trump’s antics get exposed and treated with the severity they deserve.  And not just the fodder for jokes for late night TV hosts.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 21 September 2019 at 10:45am
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

David Allen Perrin wrote:
If this President can’t be impeached...now......then the process of impeachment is utterly useless.

Certainly agree there. I just don't feel both parties are equally at fault if it's come to that. (Not saying you do, but I've seen too many comments lately that say "the Democrats should" when they should be saying "the Legislative Branch should" and I guess my responses to your posts are really reacting to that.)

Edited by Dave Phelps on 21 September 2019 at 12:04pm

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2019 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I also think he should be impeached, however, I think such a move might simply galvanize his base and others inclined to re-elect him.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 21 September 2019 at 3:30pm

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

@Marc

Trump’s ‘base’ (the same people who hear about his foolishness and criminal behavior everyday....and smile about it) are already galvanized. They would have to be to support him at this very moment.

Screw them.  If there are enough of them to sway an election head up then we are fucked already.  I’m betting that they’re aren’t.

It’s the voters who still have a sliver of decency left in them that needs to know this country is not ready to roll over and give up its belly to this shit.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 23 September 2019 at 3:14am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It is true that the president can be impeached at any time, and subject to trial for 'most any reason. But remember... once an impeachment trial gets to the Senate, they are the ones who vote. And it could be very bad if an impeachment accusation fails. And depending on the details and situation, it may make the situation worse (e.g., if JFK had been subject to impeachment during October of 1962.)

That Trump should be subject to impeachment is undoubtable.* But it likely won't work, and a president who survives such may be verified as "innocent", laughable as THAT is. There is a time and a place... and because politics is a stupid and dirty game**, that may not be now.

*This in now way takes away my anticipation of Donald Trump walking out of the White House in 2021 to more prosecutors and federal marshalls than you can shake a stick at.

**But, as has been noted... it's the only game in town.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Maybe there are a lot of nuances to this whole 'Trump tried to get Ukraine to investigate Biden, linked to withholding aid' story, but from what I can see, it seems to be six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Biden doesn't appear to be coming out of this smelling of roses either, and yet everyone seems to be just dismissing what went on in the past without calling for that to be looked at.

I think both need looking at as neither looks right.
The irony being, I guess, that both actions seem to link aid payments to asking Ukraine to do something on behalf of the USA government (or people in the USA government). 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
Biden doesn't appear to be coming out of this smelling of roses either, and yet everyone seems to be just dismissing what went on in the past without calling for that to be looked at.

What needs to be looked at? Hunter Biden was not under investigation. The owner of the Ukranian company he went to work for was under investigation /before/ he joined, and the investigation might have been over by the time all this happened. The US embassy, the IMF, and all their western allies wanted to get rid of the prosecutor at the center of Trump-Giuliani's claims, because they felt he was hindering anti-corruption efforts and refusing to go after corrupt officials. Biden was involved because he was the Obama Administration's Ukraine guy.

So what are you suggesting is improper here?

The push to get rid of the prosecutor was coming from the international community, not Biden.

Hunter Biden was not under investigation, but even if he was, Ukraine was being pressured to get rid of a prosecutor accused of corruption, cronyism, and hindering corruption efforts and replace him with a prosecutor who'd take a stronger anti-corruption stance. That really wouldn't help Hunter Biden. If he were under investigation. Which he was not.

QUOTE:
I think both need looking at as neither looks right.
The irony being, I guess, that both actions seem to link aid payments to asking Ukraine to do something on behalf of the USA government (or people in the USA government).

No, no, no. Don't pull this Trump shit. Withholding aid is a typical foreign policy move. There's a difference between asking Ukraine to do something on behalf of the US government (and the rest of the international community) and asking Ukraine to do something to aid one's personal re-election efforts. Don't try to confuse the issue by equating the two.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's time for a rock solid truth. I don't believe Joe Biden will be our next president. I think that after 2½ years of Trump, the reappearance of any element from the Obama* presidency has stirred Democratic passions and support, and possibly Mr. Biden and a number of other democrats have mistaken that nostalgia for qualification as president. Familiarity breeds contempt; I think voters are starting to get a little tired of Mr. Biden's plans and rhetoric** I could be wrong, surely; but realistically, how often do candidates who are strongly leading two years before the election end up being the representative on the ballot? Even at this "late date", there could easily be another candidate.

*My wife and I have now taken up a new game; every time Obama is invoked, we take a shot. I nearly had to go to the hospital and get my stomach pumped during that last debate. Thank God I don't drink alcohol.

**You can use the noun of your choice, but I select rhetoric. I mean, politics is kinda a dirty game anyhow; no one walks away pristine.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A sitting president with the economy doing well gets re-elected. That might be a political truism more than a yet-to-be-proven truth, but still...

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jesus Christ. Wilbur Ross can’t even stay awake during his leader’s victorious UN speech. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian M. - Yes, but he's MORE dangerous awake, don't you think?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Such a crock Trump is peddling... but the truly sad and pathetic part (STILL) is how willing his minions are to believe this nonsense.

2020 is gonna be an interesting year.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version