Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A few points:

1) The cast was not behaving unprofessionally. They had concluded their bows and ended the performance; the statement read by Mr. Dixon was written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, who created Hamilton. It was read with utmost courtesy and restraint, AFTER the cast called on the audience not to boo Pence.

1a) Although he left the theater, Pence listened from the lobby and later said he was not upset by what happened.

2) If you have never been to a Broadway show, you might not realize that this sort of thing happens from time to time. It's called a live performance for a reason.

3) Trump calling on his rabid pack of alt-righters to boycott the show is hilarious. It'd be like me boycotting a trip to the moon: won't happen, so my "boycott" is meaningless grandstanding. These idiots aren't going to Broadway shows, and they're not getting tickets to Hamilton in any case. I'd suggest they save their breath, but raving about non-issues is how they make themselves feel important.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This comment by Patton Oswalt amused me:

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Andrew: I'd suggest they save their breath, but raving about non-issues is
how they make themselves feel important.

While campaigning, it was how to command the 24 hour news cycle. It now
threatens to be the tail that wags the dog.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
Trump is reverting to his comfort zone - criticizing entertainment personalities. It's all he really understands.

Far from it -- very far. He's president-elect: no longer should he be underestimated.

QUOTE:
These idiots aren't going to Broadway shows, and they're not getting tickets to Hamilton in any case. I'd suggest they save their breath, but raving about non-issues is how they make themselves feel important.

Irrespective of whether they patronize Broadway, they are not idiots. Raving is how they got their man to be just two months away from assuming the most powerful single position in the world.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Exactly, Mark. The loudest voices got amplified...and now that they've had that taste of influence, they'll only want more.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Michael, there's not a lot of agreement on how they got there. I'm not sure raving is what did it. The idiots (to me) are those who think a boycott will do anything other than give Hamilton free publicity and make Trump look foolish. Let them indulge.

There are certainly Trump supporters who go to Broadway shows. But they aren't going to back him on this, because they know how dumb an idea it is.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The theatre in the City of Hamilton, Ontario is receiving all kinds of hate tweets, and is milking it for maximum publicity. They are currently performing Toxic Avenger: The Musical, if you will be in town.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'd love to NOT boycott Hamilton, but I'm not willing to pay no less than $500 per ticket to see it.  I can travel some place for that kind of money.

Edited by Kevin Brown on 22 November 2016 at 6:46am

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I found this interesting:

Problem is, there will be many more "dead cats" to come. And we, the American people, as well as, the media will continue to focus on them.

Edited by James Johnson on 21 November 2016 at 3:09pm

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2016 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sounds like someone doesn't like freedom of the press:  LINK

How utterly "Presidential".....

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2016 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The term "presidential" is about to be redefined as being a cagey, combative, shoot-from-the-hip rabbit-puncher with a comment about everything and a habit of having those persons closest to him sit in on every meeting, no matter how "secure," so they can remind him of what was said and define for him what it all meant later. The role will be seen as wildly charismatic and instantly reactive. Should some future president behave differently, and I don't see that happening for years to come, that president will be seen as reticent, unsure of himself, and afraid to "mix it up."

White America apparently likes its white noise.

Edited by Brian Hague on 22 November 2016 at 10:00am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2016 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

1984 came 32 years later than expected.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2016 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Can you just imagine the first State of the Union address from this yahoo?  

The speechwriters are going to have their work cut out for them. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2016 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

David Allen Perrin wrote:
Can you just imagine the first State of the Union address from this yahoo?  

The speechwriters are going to have their work cut out for them.

"We have a really great union here because I am President.  Just watch how greater it becomes the longer I am in office.. We have lots of states in this union, too, all of them great, except those states that didn't vote for me.  Those states are dead to me and should be be removed from our great union that I made greater.  Without those crooked states that didn't vote for me, the union would be even greater and I'd be the best President ever.  The best President anyone here has ever known because I made America great again.  It gets greater every day by me, your great President.  And we need to build a wall."

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2016 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I think you've caught his rhythms and themes well there, Kevin. Nicely done! 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I'm sure the entire State of the Union speech will be delivered via Twitter

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I hear that in Alec Baldwin's Trump voice!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Well, this is interesting, but I seriously doubt anything is done about it unfortunately:  LINK

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Nothing is going to be done about anything over the course of the next eight years. Criminal behavior at the top will be effectively legal for all intents and purposes. There will be so many incidents of corruption that exposing them further or finding new ones will be seen as unhelpful and contributing to the overall negative image of the press. 

Find accounting boondoggles or further evidence of hate speech and you will be excoriated as a bad, bad journalist who wants America to hate its Fourth Estate. Conflicts of interest, profiteering, tax fraud, & unfair trade practices all will blur together into a haze that no one will want to make sense of. Those reports will be labeled false and bad for the country. 

Publishing the good news about what's happening out there, like, say for instance, finally deporting all 22,000 inhabitants of the Texas Immigrant Holding Facility (please don't call it a "camp.") only 18 months behind schedule. "Many of the deportees talked with the press and expressed how happy they are to have finally been released and how much they are looking forward to finding productive employment in their home country." Cut to a shot of smiling vendors in Mexico selling souvenir replicas of the thus far completed section of The Wall. Stuff like that... 

Voter fraud? Puh-lease... Nobody wants to hear it... We're a Great Nation again, okay? A Great Nation. That's your lead.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Four years, Brian, FOUR.

I have faith he'll be a one term President.  Hell, he may not make it four years!

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

My office has Fox News on all the time. (I work in a somewhat rural area and a whiny tea partier has control of the remote.) I forgot how completely annoying they are when one of their own is in charge. After 8 years of "this Kenyan Muslim is trying to destroy us", every time I hear them talk about "sore losers" and "fearmongering," I want to throw something...

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

"Nothing is going to be done about anything over the course of the next eight years. "

I disagree. Obama's presidency did not address any fundamental problems. Obama was focused on maintaining stability.  No small feat, as he and his allies in Europe somehow managed to press "pause" on a raging forest fire left by GWB and Wall Street in 2008. Trump is about to press "play". There will be massive damage, but in the end no one will have any choice but to address the real problems. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I lean more towards Brian's take. I'm worried that the press have effectively been hamstrung.

Papers used to be able to topple presidents. But Trump's dirty laundry is already out in the open.... and he was still voted in.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Just like the business that it is, newspapers are in business to sell newspapers... and they can't even do that well enough these days. And as readership declines, so does quality. I've been interviewed for my local newspaper, and when the articles appeared, it's like everything I said (even, for one interview, via a prepared statement) was either taken completely out of context or ended up meaning completely opposite of what was really said. Most of that I attributed to the reporter having a fundamental misunderstanding of the subject of the article and either taking bad notes or, worst case scenario, coming into the situation with a agenda and taking 'soundbytes' to solidify some confirmation bias about the subject.

And this was just at podunk, local town level journalism. Extrapolate that situation out to a major newspaper and world-defining subject matters. Forget accusations of liberal or conservative biases in the news, I'm surprised if anything I read/see/hear in the news is the 'whole' story.

"Oh, but Michael... they're concentrating on online readership these days..." Yuh-huh. Because everything I read on the internet is gospel truth, too! LOL

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Jill Stein is going to demand a recount in 3 key states:  Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. There have been reports of voting irregularities in those states.

I won't link her website where she's requesting money to pay for the recounts.  Here's the money needed and the deadlines to request the recount:

Wisconsin: $1.1 million by Nov 25
Pennsylvania: $0.5 million by Nov 28
Michigan: $0.6 million by Nov 30

She has currently collected enough for the fees, but additional money would be needed for court challenges, etc.

It's going to be VERY interesting to see what happens if the recounts happen.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version